Sign in to follow this  
flyerdaviduk

Using GTN650 instead of GTN750 for commercial models

Several aircraft models support the RealityXP GTN750 plugin natively but the JustFlight PA28 and other aircraft only feature the GTN750.

The Reality Plugin menu options only show the GTN750 as master GTN1

Is it possible to configure these aircraft models to use the GTN650 as master instead? Perhaps involving a bit of PlaneMaker or configuration file editting?

This would reflect the more common equippage in this type of aircraft (it's typically either a 650 or more commonly a GNS430W).

Hi,

We do offer the Reality XP GTN 650 Touch product in addition to the Reality XP GTN 750 Touch.

We are also offering a -50% discount on the 650 if you already have the 750!

http://www.reality-xp.com

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I already have the 650 product, however many of the commercially available aircraft only seem to accept the 750. I have asked JustFlight who make an otherwise great PA28 model but they said it only supports the 750 and they have no plans to add that feature. In the real world, 750's in a PA28 are extremely unusual (I've never seen one) whereas the 650 has become more popular.

Would it be possible to make your 650 model fit into a 750 aircraft slot? There would clearly be an extra bit of blank panelling required and no doubt a bunch of other implications, but it would greatly expand the scope and applicability of your products. 

It's really helpful to have the exact product used in the aircraft match that in the sim.

Hi,

Like indicated in the RXP GTN User's Manual, the 7XX native screen resolution is 600x708 pixels and the 6XX native screen resolution is 600x266 pixels.

This means you have plenty of space to add 2 GTN 650 screens where lies a single 750 screen. This could be a good start, although you'd get a 750 3D bezel around both of them.

If it is only a bezel to remove, it would depend whether it is an external .obj file (just remove it from the .acf - use PlaneMaker), or embedded in the aircraft 3D cockpit model (harder). Removing the bezel won't remove the GTN 750 clickspots because X-Plane has never considered users adding their own gauge to any panel, it is monolithic, and we've been asking for more than a decade... Vulkan is more important anyhow...

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-Luc,

I am following up on this because I have exactly the same issue/question, and I am always trying to learn more about how X-Plane, the aircraft models, and addons interact.

I have installed your GTN-750 in the JF Archer III, and it works perfectly (thank you!).  The Archer III I was flying today in real life has a GTN650 in it, so of course, I would like to install that instead of the 750 so that I can develop the same automatic reflexes in the simulator that I need in the real airplane when things get busy.

I have the 650 installed, and positioned over the JF GNS 530 on the panel.  But clicking on the GTN 650 screen does nothing except to pop out the GNS 530 panel.  As I said, the 750 works perfectly.  I expect this is exactly what you were referring to when you said above, "X-Plane has never considered users adding their own gauge to any panel", which is sad.

So I gather the behaviour I see is to be expected and the only thing I can do is to use the 650 in a completely separate window from the sim (not a bad solution, but I would prefer it to be installed in the 3D panel).

Thank you for your great work on this product.  I very much appreciate being able to use this GPS in my simulator.

Thank you for your kind words!

When you're setting up the GTN 650 atop the stock GPS screen, although it is working fine as-is, it is possible the polygon representing the 530 screen still has a hard-coded 3D clickspot for poping up the 530 gauge, or it is hard-coded in XP11 itself whenever you click their GPS screen.

X-Plane is designed to have separate 3D rendering models (visible) from 3D clickable models (invisible) and you can't just alter one without the other in this case.

I'm wondering what would happen if you just rename the following file:
X-Plane 11\Aircraft\JF_PA28_Arrow\cockpit_3D\radios\GPS FMS\Garmin_530_screen.png

to:
X-Plane 11\Aircraft\JF_PA28_Arrow\cockpit_3D\radios\GPS FMS\Garmin_530_screen.png.disabled

(just to hide it from XP11, name irrelevant otherwise).

Same behaviour - clicking on the GTN650 pops out the GNS 530 and does not activate the "continue" function on the 650.  How odd.  And X-Plane still drew the 530 in the panel.