Sign in to follow this  
V235

Change scenery runway direction?

Hi guys,

I'm working for a small project that fix P3D runway visual data to match with realworld coordinates. I have done similar job with dozens of X-plane airports data before, but this is my first time to do with P3D, and I've already met some trouble so need some help. In X-plane world editor, you can move each 4 corners of runway separately to specific coordinates, so you only need to know exact lat/long coordinates of 4 corners of real runway. However, when I was using ADE, I couldn't find such functions. There is a runway making fuction, but after add length and width, I could only rotate runway from it's center position. While hard to find accurate realworld coordinates of exact center of the runway, I could only drag, rotate, and move runway relatebly. As result, one airport takes at least one hour of micro adjustment to be close to real runways. Is there any recommended way to making runway for my purpose that should be easier, and faster?

Edited by V235

Make a Screenshot in Google Earth, import that as background image into ADE (you need to read the corner coordinates of the image from within Google Earth), then drag the runway center to match that in the image and rotate it.

This is done in 15-30 minutes. However, when you try to shift and rotate a complete stock airport with taxiways, aprons,..., then you may be faster making it new from scratch. If you don't like plateau ridges at the edge of your airport in hilly terrain, you might want to add some flatten areas with corners at individually adjusted altitudes (which also can be measured in Google Earth).

I have done one fairly complex airport in Angola (FNUB), took me a whole day to complete - learning curve of ADE included. And almost all African airports in stock P3D have a more or less wrong position an often only consist of a runway. Lot of work waiting. 😮

• Like 1

You need the $10 Pro-Key feature for ADE to Move Runways.. with that, you can move in meters in any direction, or to new coordinates.  I just moved DRRM Maradi.

• Like 1

Bert

13 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You need the $10 Pro-Key feature for ADE to Move Runways.. with that, you can move in meters in any direction, or to new coordinates.  I just moved DRRM Maradi.

I agree for the price it`s a bargain and supports one of the tools in flight sim.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Is this $10 to move a runway a new thing with ADE?

I've never seen it...and I’ve made from scratch, edited others, all sorts 🤔

Luke Pype

No, it's just the price of the payware version of ADE which is used by developers and has some nice extra features

• Upvote 1

........and for $10 is an absolute bargain. I see that I have had mine since January 2012 and that it has never gone up in price. Not only does it move runways, it will move the entire airport.

Edited by Reader

The Pro-Key upgrade will also allow the option to (correctly) rename ICAO native P3D airport codes.

• Upvote 1

I had no idea there’s a pro key for ADE. Even if I don’t need it I’m giving him my money. That program he developed years ago is one of the greatest addons in our community.

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

On 4/3/2020 at 3:59 AM, meerkat said:

Make a Screenshot in Google Earth, import that as background image into ADE (you need to read the corner coordinates of the image from within Google Earth), then drag the runway center to match that in the image and rotate it.

This is done in 15-30 minutes. However, when you try to shift and rotate a complete stock airport with taxiways, aprons,..., then you may be faster making it new from scratch. If you don't like plateau ridges at the edge of your airport in hilly terrain, you might want to add some flatten areas with corners at individually adjusted altitudes (which also can be measured in Google Earth).

I have done one fairly complex airport in Angola (FNUB), took me a whole day to complete - learning curve of ADE included. And almost all African airports in stock P3D have a more or less wrong position an often only consist of a runway. Lot of work waiting. 😮

So far, I couldn't find any better ways to do the things with ADE as you described. ADE is really nice and simple tool to learn, but there are just few more extra controls that can give more creativity and accuracy in runway positioning.

X-plane, P3D both have very poor airports information at outside of US, so some flight school asked me to fix those so they could really use their software for training. My area is Asia to middle east, and just few airports are close to real position, while most of them are miles away from where they should be. Yes, fixing all of them is a lots of work.

Thank you for your advise, and it was very helpful.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:03 AM, Bert Pieke said:

It seems current version doesn't need pro-key for move and rotate Runway, but it is needed if you want to rotate whole airport. 10$ is still very cheap price, so I don't mind to pay.

However I needed more control on runway so I can save big time while I'm working for airports in a whole country, but those are not in pro version anyway.