Sign in to follow this  
jaytee73

Can you help me with Carenado and Reality XP? (resolved)

F1 GTN 750 - Reality XP GTN 750

Sometime ago I asked on the popen forum what was the difference between these 2 addons - and why Carenado

specifies F1 for P3D and Reality for XP11 -

I didn't really get an answer as to why  - but I gleaned that there was little or no difference - and Reality was probably "the Better"

of the 2. - and Reality web site was quite specific - it was also for P3D V4

I now feel the time has come to introduce a little pizzazz into my flying  - (the P3D flight Planning is useless)

and since I only want the 750 - and F1 insists on selling a package -750 with 650 - and I can only afford one

Nevertheless - on Tues. 31 March - 2 days later - I took the Plunge and purchased GTN 750  - P3D V4 - from what I thought was the website  of Reality at a special

price - but I was surprised that the Payment/download came from Flight I's site - (??? another question) - and although the special ticket was refused - said the file was incorrect

I paid the full price and the download went quite well --- I Think ? - because it looks as if it is all there - snugly fitting into the C drive  although P3D is on its own drive.

I have 6/7 Carenado aircraft that specifically says that is OK for F1 GTN 750 - and the files each contain an easy install function - the file name includes F1 GTN 750.exe

I have tried to use these files to install the Reality GTN 750 in each of the 7 a/c - which either leaves me with a black space on my dash in some of the A/C - or nothing changed

(the reset files to 530 doesn't work -a problem I haven't got round to yet) - and no action to the reinstall files)

When I follow the PDF install instructions - using the supplied pdf - it has installed  - everything is there in the Addons - and it shows the setup tab - which when pressed - nothing happens !!

Have I made a big mistake in ignoring the Carenado statements  - hoping the answer is No! and someone on here to help me out with this  -

or I've wasted some $ A75 of my pension - in buying what seems to be the wrong GTN 750

I also missed that what I downloaded was for P3D - and does not include for FSX Steam - where the same aircraft reside.

Edited by RXP

In all fairness, and with patience, as a fellow user, let me say....  Carenado could certainly behave like some other aircraft developers and through product updates provide additional configurations for their products.  RXP and F1 GTN's are totally separate products, distinct from each other by brand and by development, and by updates.  Each is separately acquired through the eCommerce sales/download platform at F1, but they are separate products, not the same. It's like getting a Rolls Royce delivered through a Chevrolet outlet because Rolls Royce does not have an outlet near you....  That is so very well documented here to ad naseum in topics you could have read, and some time spent reading through topics here would helpfully keep other users like me from typing the same responses over and over and over.

Because size and placement are the same (the gauges are scaled to real life proportions), in regard to most panels in most aircraft, if a developer such as Carenado provides an option for say the F1 GTN 750, then simply configure that aircraft's panel for the F1 gauge, even if you do not have the F1.  Then after installing the RXP GTN to your simulator, use the RXP option under the simulator Add-on's menu to replace the F1 in that/those aircraft with the RXP.  If you have purchased and installed the RXP GTN (either the 650 or 750) then you would have found this on page 4 of the RXP User Manual (Windows Start Menu, scroll to Reality XP, open, and find User Manual).

image.png.4a8e10e2d570c47a5b409102c3544672.png

There will be for some aircraft other panel characteristics to overcome.  Example: after following the procedure above for an aircraft, you may find that in your virtual cockpit panel the entire RXP GTN (bezel included) may appear within the GTN bezel coded into the panel by the aircraft developer.  So you may see a double bezel.  RXP provides a "no_bezel" option for use in most of those cases.  Its also in the User Manual and described in many other topics here that you may have found......

In other cases, after adjusting the bezel option, you may find that some keys on the bezel do not at first operate with the RXP.  This is due to the aircraft developer's bezel design, which is likely hard coded.  Reality XP does not have rights to modify other developer's products.  A team of end-users here developed an .xml file that can be used to overcome that issue in most cases.  To take advantage of that .xml file a user like yourself will need to find the topics, read about it, and learn how to use it.  

GPS gauges from high end developers like Reality XP are not stand-alone products.  So to get the greatest benefit and enjoyment you have to be who best joins them together.  It's much like when I installed a wonderful Blaupunkt stereo into my 1969 MGB roadster to replace the nameless radio that came in the car....  It took some doing, but the result was well worth it!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Frank

If we didn't have people like you to assist dumbos like me - I suppose nothing would ever get solved and I thank you on behalf of all of us with limited knowledge of the workings of the computer and understand

the ad nauseum bit. However in self defence - as I answered your comments elsewhere - I spent something like 12 hours over the 2 days since you gave me that advice - wading thro everything I could find on the subjects of GTN 750

Reality XP and F1 (I still don't know who the developer of that software is hence my Commercial question - you explained quite well) - Not only Carenado - Just Flight - vsim -- but others as well and sometimes got lost in the language of filing systems and .dot xxx  nomaclature

As I said - on the basis of what I learned - viz RX was probably better - and I had to buy just one item - that's the path I took Despite not getting the discount - the install went well - up to the stage that P3D asked - did I want to install RX - and yes that went OK

I am not that dim as to not read instructions - ie the PDF - and "THE" Problem occurred between "Addon Menu" - and - "Configuration  Panel" In every Carenado A/C - pressing addon in P3D went well ----- but pressing Setup produced nothing - no action that I could see no configuration panel  -  so I have not made use yet of your further info on the subject of set up.

I also read thro all the Caranado's  instructions how to use the install files supplied for all 7 aircraft - but nothing again except a black screen where perhaps the 750 might go.on 3  some 7 hours of continuous trying including the purchase and download- all the tricks I could find

- I could not get beyond either of the the two steps related - I wrote the above and went to bed at 3-30am  totally frustrated FYI - one thing I did learn was that there was another developer of the Dasault FA50 which was not as pretty as the Carenado version but a much better flying machine - and used a very complete panel (almost 2d) where all the bits and pieces worked - the RXP 750 x 2+the Milviz radar installs were catered for -  the flight characteristics way ahead - and the price was discounted 40%

Now - finally - the other good news - I don't know what I did -probably having left the problem for 2 days - when I went back to it - I was able to do just what the Instructions said and got passed the config stage to the extent that I now have 5 A/C with RX 750 installed

Maybe it was the 2 shut downs and restarts that firmed up the installs - I don't care

Now - all I need to do is to use your instructions on how getting it to work

Cheers--- -John T.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

BTW... Just to clarify... several years ago when Carenado released some of these aircraft, there was no GTN 750 for P3D from RXP... only F1.  So that is the origin of it all.

Having said that, it would have been nice if Carenado had provided an update after the RXP GTN came out for P3D  (after having been available for XPlane for a while)...

But they did not, and that is why you see users helping users overcome that "hurdle"..

Luckily, as you have found out, after a bit of a learning curve, it actually is not hard to do :happy:

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2

Bert

Hi Bert

Many thanks for the clear up and we who are not Computer savvy - rely heavily on persons like you in the forums

I see your name crop up quite recently - as I wade thro countless items on the Carenado Avsim - particularly with regard

to trying to fit the GTN 750 into their Aircraft

I have been a simmer for many years but took a sabbatical for around 10 years returning around 10 months ago

I was very surprised to see the advance in not only scenery especially by Orbyx - but in aircraft by Carinado 

with the later resulting in the purchase of quite a number of their aircraft - the most recent being the Dasault Falcon 50

and the Citation  525a CJ2 - and therein lies the story of seeing your name crop up as I am also - about to try fitting said

software into the Citation using the tips from the 'Mod Squad" - which seems to go back years - if I can find the file for it.

I was impressed by a Utube video of a review of the aircraft fitted that way - FS Mania.

I have just had the file the mod to the FA 50 sent to me by RamonB - and will be trying that a well

Cheers and thanks again

John Heaton

Edited by jaytee73

On 4/3/2020 at 3:24 AM, jaytee73 said:

Now - finally - the other good news - I don't know what I did -probably having left the problem for 2 days - when I went back to it - I was able to do just what the Instructions said and got passed the config stage to the extent that I now have 5 A/C with RX 750 installed

Hi,

I'm glad you've sorted this out. Sometimes it helps pulling back from the problem and letting the mind spinning out from it. It is no different when facing a programming bug and you spend hours trying to figuring this out: relax back, let the mind get fresh new ideas all by itself, and a few hours later you get the eureka feeling.

In this case, it might have been some files where 'locked' by Windows itself, and rebooting afresh did unlock the files so that the whole process could proceed as expected.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

20 hours ago, RXP said:

It is no different when facing a programming bug and you spend hours trying to figuring this out: relax back, let the mind get fresh new ideas all by itself, and a few hours later you get the eureka feeling.

I just had this happen within a complex spreadsheet I was massaging.  Spent 90 minutes pounding my fist because my formulas were crystal clear, and verified as matching adjacent columns that were working perfectly.  

Dinner, a glass (or two) of wine, and then the upstream error was easily detected.....

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere