Sign in to follow this  
kaha

Flight plan import failed

Hello,

Using the excellent RXP GTN 750 in the FSW Falcon 50 I tried to import a flightplan today.

The message "Flight plan import failed" is shown when importing the attached flightplan LOWI_LTBS. I generated the flight plan with Littlenavmap and exported to RXP GTN format. Other flight plans work. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf1iiquqmxu16hx/LOWI_LTBS.gfp?dl=0

Here is the flightplan in text format:

FPN/RI:DA:LOWI:D:BREN2J:R:08O:F:,.M726.NAXAV,N46278E011193.N606.BABAG,N45232E013076.UN606.PUL,N44535E013551.UL614.NISVA,N42584E022479.Y505.NIKTI,N41328E024073.UN127.LMO,N39552E025142.UN128.IMR,N38190E027004:AA:LTBS:A:ATSA1H(01O):AP:I01-1

I'm stuck. Anyone has any idea what can be the reason?

Thx,

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

9 hours ago, kaha said:

Hello,

Using the excellent RXP GTN 750 in the FSW Falcon 50 I tried to import a flightplan today.

The message "Flight plan import failed" is shown when importing the attached flightplan LOWI_LTBS. I generated the flight plan with Littlenavmap and exported to RXP GTN format. Other flight plans work. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf1iiquqmxu16hx/LOWI_LTBS.gfp?dl=0

Here is the flightplan in text format:

FPN/RI:DA:LOWI:D:BREN2J:R:08O:F:,.M726.NAXAV,N46278E011193.N606.BABAG,N45232E013076.UN606.PUL,N44535E013551.UL614.NISVA,N42584E022479.Y505.NIKTI,N41328E024073.UN127.LMO,N39552E025142.UN128.IMR,N38190E027004:AA:LTBS:A:ATSA1H(01O):AP:I01-1

I'm stuck. Anyone has any idea what can be the reason?

Thx,

Karl

Karl,
There are already a number of topics here that delve into the failed imports.  I suggest seeking them out and reading.  Here is a link to one that may shed some light.  I highly recommend you read the entire topic, and especially take a look at my post that is the next to the last post on the second page of the topic.  The most prevailing causes are waypoints that are not in the database that you have in use in the sim; multiple waypoints with the same name in the database (they are there more frequently than you might think); and complex flight plans where you are attempting to use departures, arrivals, approaches, and transitions. 

The more complex the flight plan the higher the risk that the trainer logic will go to failsafe to protect you.  Understand the logic in the trainer is for the real world, so it contains preventative or protective logic.  If it cannot exactly match your variables to its database and logic it will block.  Try a more simple version of your flight plan, import it, then add the Dep, Arr, transition, and approach in the GTN after the import.  It takes much less time than dissecting a complex plan to determine why it will not import.  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522006-flight-planner-for-gtn/

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Rob, it is the Garmin Trainer, not RXP.  Just clarifying. I have had a lot of experience with this.  The top line is parsed in from a text string copied from the FltPlan.com page.  Then note the formula bar.  Did a lot of work on this so I could just paste in the flight plan line from FltPlan.com.  Worked magically until I started getting fancy with departures, arrivals, and transitions.  And I stuck to the Garmin specifications found in one of their publications. I can find no way to just open the link to that publication.  Clicking this link will download it:  https://forums.jetcareers.com/attachments/gtn-flight-plan-and-user-waypoint-transfer-pdf.34218/ 

WARNING:  You can spend a lot of time deciphering what you find in that document.........LOL!  Trust me, I know!

The resulting .gfp flight plan is the yellow string toward the bottom right of this image.  It is simply the string in green characters copied and pasted as text, then from there pasted into a plain text file and saved with the .gfp extension.  It works slick until it becomes too complex. That's the basis for my recommendation in my earlier post above.  Import the basic plan, then add the more sophisticated portions later in the gauge.

image.png.79bb8e5c1fbc096e311d849f2603c1b2.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you everybody for your answers.

For curiosity: The RXP GNS 530W in my C337 from Carenado did import the plan but truncated it.

Yes, it must have to do something with the complexity of the plan. I stripped it down and was then able to import it.

How does this work in real life? Would a Falcon 50 pilot create the entire flight plan using the airplanes FMC system?

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

7 minutes ago, kaha said:

How does this work in real life? Would a Falcon 50 pilot create the entire flight plan using the airplanes FMC system?

I do not know for sure, but it may taking waiting until confirming the clearance with departure, and depending on the length of the flight the transition, arrival and approach might change enroute anyway.  Have just found it very quick and easy to add those elements after the import rather than with the import. 

Also, when looking at charts to plan the flight I have experienced intersections that appear to be on all of the airways crossing that intersection, only to find that intersection not among those listed for an airway by Garmin. I have only seen that occur when the intersection sits on that airway during a straight segment, not at a turn with that airway.  There have been times when I try to import a plan that the trainer import routine hiccups because of that.  That happens when I spec a turn from one airway to another at just such an intersection, but the database does not recognize that fix as being on one of those two airways.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

17 minutes ago, kaha said:

For curiosity: The RXP GNS 530W in my C337 from Carenado did import the plan but truncated it.

It may have truncated it at the point where the GTN bounced it.  Who knows?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:25 PM, fppilot said:

I can find no way to just open the link to that publication. 

The RXP GTN installer also copies the specs file (PDF) to your drive (RXP manual p9):

"C:\ProgramData\Reality XP\Common\GtnTrainer\flightplans.zip"

it is included in the zip file along with the sample flight plans.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 4/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, fppilot said:

It may have truncated it at the point where the GTN bounced it.  Who knows?

The GNS only imports the first 32 waypoints (or maybe 31). This is the longest flight plans supported on this device. The GTN supports up to 99 waypoints.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

20 hours ago, RXP said:

The GNS only imports the first 32 waypoints (or maybe 31). This is the longest flight plans supported on this device. The GTN supports up to 99 waypoints.

And these are the limits of the Garmin Trainer.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS