Sign in to follow this  
R.S.

FSX Gold vs FSX-SE CPU temp

Hi!

I have a question about FSX-SE: I have installed on my laptop the FSX-Gold version with all the optimizations on the .cfg file, the ORBX Global and openLC Europe installed, some photoreal scenarios and DX10 Scenery Fixer.
I can run FSX with about 20fps, but my main problem is the 86/87 ° C CPU temperature measured with MSI Afterburner (I have already run undervolt for the CPU with ThrottleStop).

I have an Asus ROG 752VW with Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB and 16GB of RAM, the problem is that it only has one fan for GPU and CPU (so it is not well optimized for dissipating heat).

I know that using a laptop for a flight simulator is a bad choice, but I've only this pc available in my home 😅

My question is, already knowing that FSX-SE brings some optimizations with respect to the boxed version FSX-Gold Edition, can these optimizations help me to have lower temperatures on my poor laptop?

If the Steam version can help me, I could take the big step (uninstall the boxed version and switch to FSX-SE), in case it doesn't benefit especially for the temperature of my CPU, I prefer to stay in the boxed version with all my add-ons installed.
Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings.

Edit: I only read now that I probably should have created this topic in "AVSIM Hardware Forums". I'm sorry for this error.

Edited by R.S.

Unfortunately, there is no reason to suppose that FSX-SE will behave any differently to FSX, as they are essentially the same thing.

Edited by Reader

22 minutes ago, Reader said:

Unfortunately, there is no reason to suppose that FSX-SE will behave any differently to FSX, as they are essentially the same thing.

Thanks for the reply.
If I had another computer I would have gladly tried, but I've finished the number of registrations available with the FSX activation keys, I'm afraid I will not be able to go back in case it goes wrong with FSX-SE(When I activated FSX 2/3 years ago, I managed to do so by calling Microsoft's customer service ... I was surprised at how the customer service was still active almost 10 years since the release of FSX!).

11 minutes ago, R.S. said:

Thanks for the reply.
If I had another computer I would have gladly tried, but I've finished the number of registrations available with the FSX activation keys, I'm afraid I will not be able to go back in case it goes wrong with FSX-SE(When I activated FSX 2/3 years ago, I managed to do so by calling Microsoft's customer service ... I was surprised at how the customer service was still active almost 10 years since the release of FSX!).

Hi!!!

Maybe these articles will help you see what is the difference between FSX Gold and FSX SE.

https://fsxinsider.com/fsx-steam-edition-and-boxed-fsx-what-is-the-difference/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpQgUBKDKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUxjBd4xz58

As you have been told, FSX SE is FSX Gold but with a few optimizations, updates.

Very well done, you use MSI afterburner to monitor your laptop !!!

You should know that FSX Gold or FSX SE make a high use of the CPU and the GPU does not work, that is how the simulator was designed.

What occurs to me to lower the temperature of the cpu is the following:

1ºUse a laptop cooler but that does not feed from that laptop but from another place.

2º Do not use DX10. Although DX10 offers a sharper image it does have a significant impact on CPU working percentage, you can disable DX10SF or perform a clean FSX installation and monitor CPU usage with msi afterburner.

It is assumed that the less use there will be the lower the temperature in the cpu.

3º Block the fps at 20 with rivatuner, join the msi afterburner.

4º Deactivate reflections on the sea, AI traffic is a CPU eater, rather, try FSX with a few settings with everything to the minimum and check the temperature of the cpu

In any case, you have indicated that you cannot reactivate FSX Gold, as you are in luck, FSX SE is offering a 75% discount only until April 6, take advantage of the opportunity.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/?l=spanish

Regards

I would agree that if you intend to continue to use FSX, then a copy of FSX-SE for less than the price of a fancy cup of coffee is a very good idea. You do not have to install or use it until you need to, but it will be immune to any FSX Gold licensing problems. I have one myself, from long ago.

If you apply the good advice that you have now been given, you should be able to continue with FSX Gold without melting your laptop.

Edited by Reader

On 4/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, R.S. said:

I have already run undervolt for the CPU with ThrottleStop

Now try underclocking your CPU. It sounds counterintuitive, but it has helped me a lot. Go to FIVR (the same setting where you undervolted) and then Turbo Ratio Limits. There adjust your 4-core value and check the temperatures you're getting. After some trials, I was able to underclock my CPU to 3.5 GHz in order to keep good enough temperatures and no throttling at all. Winter is due to start here soon, so I might be able to run a bit faster.

I'm not sure how do 6th-gen i7 processors work, but my current (5-8300H) and previous (i5-7200U) laptop CPUs throttle either because temperature reached Tjunction or because power draw was too high (close to or over TDP).

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.