Sign in to follow this  
Guest MidnightMike

Boeing Launches New 747-8 Family

Guest christianholmes

I'm guessing here, as I'm not an aerodynamics expert by any means, but I have a pretty thorough understanding...One of the difficult areas of fluid dynamics & jet engines is dealing with seperation (turbulent intake air).Notice that jets, like the F-16 have sleek, thin inlets, and that planes like the 747 have large, round inlets (I am talking about cross section of the engine intake).This is because on an F-16, which flies at high speed, it is more efficient to use a sleek design- less drag at the cost of more seperation of airflow at low speeds. The 747 on the other hand, doesn't fly at high speeds and benefits more from be able to suck in non-turbulent air at low speeds/high crosswinds.This is why many jets don't go full throttle until they are rolling, and also dictates the maximum crosswind component for some planes. It is because turublent air that gets sucked in sideways can actually break the fan blades. I think the C5 Galaxy is limited to a 30 knot crosswind for this reason.The same turbulence holds true when the air comes back together at the other end of the engine. The high-speed air from the turbine meets the lower speed air that is moving relative to the speed of the airplane. When they meet, they create significant turbulence.After that whole explanation, my only point is that the shape on those engines may help with the unification of the air as it leaves the engine. :)

Good news fo Boeing.JimCYWG

Yippeee - yey-yey !!The plane which has won my heart right from the start (and the hearts of many others I believe) is back!A veeerrry happy time for me to be alive. Just hope I can get to actually fly in one.:)))John

Guest MidnightMike

>Wing looks a bit weird, will take some getting used to the>knife edge :)>>Any idea whether NCA is getting an option to convert the 744F>orders into more 748F orders?Probably not, NCA needs the 744 freighters now and can not wait till 2009. Plus NCA can phase out their 747-200F's at a slower pace......MD11, 717, Full Flight Simulator Rideshttp://www.webradium.com/aviationtraininge...87901/index.htm