Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

Nice. Pretty much confirms what Rob has hinted at before on this forum.

Wonder what does this mean in regards to existing add on compatibility?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Yup, memories of the FSX DX10 preview come to mind lol. Personally I am really pleased to see that a new version looks imminent of P3d, even though I am on the MS2020 TA 

20 minutes ago, kand said:

Yup, memories of the FSX DX10 preview come to mind lol. Personally I am really pleased to see that a new version looks imminent of P3d, even though I am on the MS2020 TA 

FSX DX10 was buggy.. because Microsoft never finished it.. all the shaders were not working as they should, etc. and that was the biggest issue with it. Nothing to do with 3rd party add-on's.

People should stop worrying about 3rd party compatibility.. :wink:

S

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Shomron said:

Wonder what does this mean in regards to existing add on compatibility?

Nothing at all. Direct X versions are all backwards compatible to Direct X 9. This was released in 2002, so it should cover anything you are likely to encounter today and yesterday,.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kand said:

I am not on any beta or anything but was looking into some new software for my simulator when I stumbled upon this

https://fly.elise-ng.net/news/new-fly-elise-ng-4-2-1-software-release/

v4.2.1 (20200310)
– NEW: Build for 64bit Windows OS
– NEW: P3D v5 + DirecX 12 support
– NEW: X-Plane 11.5 + Vulkan support

I've been testing XP 11.50 beta for the last two days and my fps doubled using the Vulcan API. It made me wonder how long before P3D upgrades to DX12. I hope we see the same fps improvements.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Well that’s exciting! Maybe it’ll be just around the corner too 🙂 🙂 .

What advantages does DX12 bring over its predecessor? Visuals obviously but specifics would be nice.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What advantages does DX12 bring over its predecessor? Visuals obviously but specifics would be nice.

It all depends on how the API will communicate with the GPU & CPU. I'm guessing that performance will improve. Don't know if it will fix the pauses or stutters. XP 11.50 with Vulkan enabled is silky smooth.

• Upvote 1

@DJJose, is Vulcan the XPlane equivalent?

On a more general note will scenery designers have to modify their products to benefit from DX12?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Vulkan would  be the better option.

It is really debatable, several researches indicate both perform very similarly, here is one of many: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/basemark_gpu_dx12_vs_vulkan_performance_review/4.. charts below:

29133307616l.jpg

29133257698l.jpg

They concluded:

At 1080p, we found that in most cases that the DirectX 12 API offered the best performance, with Vulkan coming a close second while OpenGL sat at a distant third. Basemark GPU's OpenGL performance on Nvidia hardware is leagues ahead of AMD, with the RX Vega 56 and RX 580 both offering Basemark GPU scores of around 4000, while Nvidia's GTX 1060 offered a score of 8470. As usual, OpenGL performance appears to be an Achilles heel for Radeon, but thankfully this API has been mostly depreciated. 

Cranking things up to 4K we see that most of our graphics cards offered similar results when using all graphical APIs, with OpenGL having major performance consequences on our Radeon graphics cards. On the Nvidia side OpenGL, Vulkan and DirectX 12 offered nigh-identical performance levels, offering minimal variance in most cases. 

-----------------------

So under 4K DX12 has better performance and at 4K the difference is so marginal that it will be not noticeable for end user, now what you need to understand is that converting from DX11 to Vulkam would be much more work than to DX12.. and DX12 has very nice features.. google Nvidia flow.. and ray tracing.. 

Regards,
Simbol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@DJJose, is Vulcan the XPlane equivalent?

Vulkan is the successor to openGL. 

DX12 will be the successor of DX11.

Deduction: I guess so! 😀

@DJJose, haven't used OpenGL since Project Magenta days. Yes, I worked out the next bit myself. 😁

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather