Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

Just now, Benjamin J said:

Erm... I'm just looking at the data presented and commenting on what I see. We have a chance to hear from Umberto himself about this, since it's his videos. How about we just wait for him to comment...?

V5 feels smoother, in general. It's more visible in real life than on a recorded video ( the recording software takes away some processing time to encode the video while recording ).

But stutters can come from anywhere, AI, many add-ons doing stuff at the same time, etc. That's not really relevant here: I tested V4 vs V5 under the SAME conditions. trying to match settings as close as possible. They are fairly similar, the main difference is TrueSky, which has its own separate settings, a bit different than when using the standard clouds.

Generally speaking, TrueSky seems to be less affected by increasing cloud density, using multiple cloud layers, etc. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

Although it also seemed like it went up and down a lot. I see it often jump from 60 down to 30 and back up again. I don't know if this is an artifact in the FPS counter or a sign of stutters...

A fluctuating frame rate is usually a sign of stutters, yes. But I always thought the P3D frame rate counter was very sensitive, which is why I usually check frame rates with other tools like Fraps. They also fluctuate but only when there's a noticeable stutter. That said, Umberto did say it was smoother than v4 and I didn't see anything which might not also be attributed to the video capturing software. I am very pleased with what I saw in that comparison, and almost double the frame rate is certainly a huge improvement, especially in a densely populated area at a detailed airport.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 minutes ago, swiesma said:

After flying the alpha of MSFS for quite some time now... I gotta say I will Uninstall P3D as soon as there is any decent airliner available. 

Also v5 won't change this. 

Until then I enjoy the corona quarantine with WoW Classic. 

So you'll stick with P3D then for the foreseeable future.

8 minutes ago, swiesma said:

After flying the alpha of MSFS for quite some time now... I gotta say I will Uninstall P3D as soon as there is any decent airliner available. 

Also v5 won't change this. 

Until then I enjoy the corona quarantine with WoW Classic. 

OK. Thanks for this helpful information we all have bin waiting for. Now the cat is out of the bag (Sarcasm off)

• Like 3

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I bought P3D v4.5 a few days ago (5.04). Will it be possible to get discount or free upgrade to v5?

ugcx_banner.png ngxu_banner.png

38 minutes ago, ols500 said:

will a gTX 1060 6gb be enough for all the typical addons (30fps atm in v4-orbx, active sky, pmdg) or will i have to pay for like a rtx2060 super

I'd say video memory is the most important thing in V5, and 8 GB is the probably the absolute minimum. Below that, you'll really have to play with settings to memory usage under control, because the sim cannot even use all of it, the OS reserve some for its own use. With 8GB, you have about 6.9 GB free, and we managed to exhaust them by raising settings, and we didn't use many add-ons.

Don't want to spend too much for a 2080 Ti ? Do the smart thing, and get a USED 1080 Ti, which has 11GB. P3D V5 doesn't support RTX anway, so the 2080 Ti is a bit wasted. Or an used Titan, or maybe the AMD Radeon VII, which is the only consumer card I know that comes with 16GB.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Piohib said:

I bought P3D v4.5 a few days ago (5.04). Will it be possible to get discount or free upgrade to v5?

just use your money back option from LM.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

23 minutes ago, Piohib said:

You have a 2 weeks refund....that should do the trick

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

25 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Don't want to spend too much for a 2080 Ti ? Do the smart thing, and get a USED 1080 Ti, which has 11GB. P3D V5 doesn't support RTX anway, so the 2080 Ti is a bit wasted. Or an used Titan, or maybe the AMD Radeon VII, which is the only consumer card I know that comes with 16GB.

Yeah, no thanks. That is how you end up with some card salvaged out of an old bitcoin mining platform that has been run flat out for a year+ in someones closet. The online photos are of a nearly perfect card, but when you actually get it in the mail it's gee, why do all of the capacitors look pregnant...

1 minute ago, tolip2 said:

Nobody even dares to comment on the terrible light popping that we see throughout that posted video?

We saved that for the MSFS fanbase. Fire at will, let your P3D rant flow 🤪

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

On 4/4/2020 at 7:34 PM, joby33y said:

If LM are going to charge $$ for an 'upgrade' to v5, it'd better be something great....considering the competitive landscape

Do you really think LM is considering how much they sell of P3D and how stiff the sim-market competition is?
LM is not some kind of software house depending on selling games. The cost of developing P3D is peanuts for them and the current installed base/sales is nice 'collateral damage'.
Heck, if they sell one more F-22 they can financially support the P3D development team into the next century 😉
For them it is simply a vehicle to provide their customers with a very basic training platform.

• Like 5

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

4 hours ago, Makinen11 said:

So what exactly is preventing the vatsim clients from creating a custom multiplayer session as shown in the FS trailer and continue to work as they have until now?

How do you know this and state it like it's a fact?

That's not how the network works.

Eric 

3 hours ago, virtuali said:

A quick test here at FSDT KORD V2, to show some of the performance gain you can expect with V5, thanks to DX12:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,23309.0.html

I tried my best to do an "apples vs apples" comparison, using the same settings, same airplane, same gate, same screen res, etc. TrueSky was enabled, you can disable it if you like the old clouds more, for a bit extra fps ( not much ). 

What is interesting, was my GPU occupation:

P3D V4 was at 60%, with about 5.0GB out of 12GB used

P3D V5 was a 5%, with about 6.0GB used.

So, other than the frame rate, it seems P3D V5 has more HEADROOM to accept more detailed scenery, textures, etc. Provided you have enough VRAM available.

So we can finally go past the MSAA x8 and use higher SSAA settings without the performance impact from clouds, etc... to reduce that night shimmer issue with PBR I hope! 

Eric