Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

2 hours ago, Piohib said:

I bought P3D v4.5 a few days ago (5.04). Will it be possible to get discount or free upgrade to v5?

If I recall correctly, in the past you would get a free upgrade within a certain time frame.
But don't hold your breath on it, nor sue me if I'm not correct.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

I'd say video memory is the most important thing in V5, and 8 GB is the probably the absolute minimum. Below that, you'll really have to play with settings to memory usage under control, because the sim cannot even use all of it, the OS reserve some for its own use. With 8GB, you have about 6.9 GB free, and we managed to exhaust them by raising settings, and we didn't use many add-ons.

Don't want to spend too much for a 2080 Ti ? Do the smart thing, and get a USED 1080 Ti, which has 11GB. P3D V5 doesn't support RTX anway, so the 2080 Ti is a bit wasted. Or an used Titan, or maybe the AMD Radeon VII, which is the only consumer card I know that comes with 16GB.

Surely this depends on a variety of factors? (screen resolution, AA/AF settings, scenery complexity and autogen density settings, complex weather, lots of detailed AI planes etc)? Some users mentioned using huge amounts of VRAM in P3D v4, but I ran it on my old PC with a 2GB GTX 770.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, penta_a said:

just use your money back option from LM.

3 hours ago, mpo910 said:

You have a 2 weeks refund....that should do the trick

1 hour ago, Egbert Drenth said:

If I recall correctly, in the past you would get a free upgrade within a certain time frame.
But don't hold your breath on it, nor sue me if I'm not correct.

Thanks for explanation.

ugcx_banner.png ngxu_banner.png

Someone mentioned this earlier. And the photos seem to confirm. But are cloud shadows really gone with this truesky? That was the first thing that made me go "WOAH!" When i first switched to P3D (v2). As much as V5 has me very excited. If it removes that amazing feature. I may have to reconsider my current viewpoint. 

Any developer on here who has had access, please let us know! Thanks.

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

In addition to FSDT's videos, FlyTampa has announced that they too see performance improvements. Could be that DX12 is a bigger deal than a lot of us first thought.

file.php?id=7184

file.php?id=7185

http://flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13806#p67159

P.S. Seems the Sydney skyline has been given an update also.

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

17 minutes ago, simbol said:

Cloud shadows are still present don't worry.

Simbol 

Awesome! Thanks for that info!

-Tony@PVD 

Tony Moore

Rob said with the trueskies clouds the shadwos are more subtle and lighter than with the old clouds.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

4 minutes ago, F737NG said:

In addition to FSDT's videos, FlyTampa has announced that they too see performance improvements. Could be that DX12 is a bigger deal than a lot of us first thought.

P3D going DX12 is definitely a big deal, and the performance comparisons we're seeing are only confirming that. Which is why I don't get why hostility seems so prevailing when it comes to the reception of v5. A few months back there were quite a lot of complains that MSFS will run DX11 only at release day and that they better implement DX12 as fast as possible because of obvious superiority over the previous version. Now P3D goes DX12 but suddenly it's no big deal and appears to be downgraded to just another bullet point on the change log. This is especially confusing considering performance has always been a struggle with ESP sims.

Just months back there would have been a lot more jubilation over the improvements we see with v5. The MSFS anticipation is in full speed and I'm just as guilty of being excited, but I don't think it was reasonable to expect that LM would suddenly push out an MSFS 2.0. It's another significant evolutionary step in the P3D franchise, but it's obviously not going to revolutionize flight simming like MSFS seems to do.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

35 minutes ago, F737NG said:

http://flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13806#p67159

P.S. Seems the Sydney skyline has been given an update also.

Thanks for sharing! Yes, the performance improvements indeed seem really substantial... I honestly can barely hold my ground at Sydney. Performance is just terrible for me over there. perhaps I have a fighting chance now?

And yes, it's also very exciting to see the added buildings to the skyline!

Overall, this comparison is astounding. I gotta say, to those fleeing there is no visual improvement: some of these areas almost look like a different sim to me. The new sky makes a very big difference. The entire way the world is lit, including how the water reacts, seems to have changed for the better.

• Upvote 3

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

57 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Just months back there would have been a lot more jubilation over the improvements we see with v5. The MSFS anticipation is in full speed and I'm just as guilty of being excited, but I don't think it was reasonable to expect that LM would suddenly push out an MSFS 2.0. It's another significant evolutionary step in the P3D franchise, but it's obviously not going to revolutionize flight simming like MSFS seems to do.

You are right, it is evolutionary, not revolutionary...but that's what we expect with P3D, that is its history.  Evolution with each iteration.  64-bit was pretty big though I guess.

In my opinion any comparisons (or, as one user in the MSFS subforum kept repeating, "competition") with MSFS are not appropriate.  MSFS will likely launch without everything we're used to with P3D, which is no surprise as the P3D ecosystem is years -- even a decade+ -- old.  Therefore, I see quite a bit of use with P3D going forward.   I'll likely be flying MSFS from day one, but also P3D as they will be entirely different animals initially.  Over time I can see the 3rd-party ecosystem for MSFS filling out.  I don't think LM cares about "competition", as I suspect they use P3D internally for their own real-world products, and we are just their failsafe testing team, pushing them here-and-there, but only driving evolution, not revolution.

I'm reminded of one of the Zorro movies.  Some bad guy told Zorro, "I thought you were dead!", and Zorro swung across the room on a chandelier, saying, "Not quite!"

• Upvote 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

the more content I see, the more I realize just how bad that P3D Trailer was... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Hello everyone ... In principle I wish you all the best of health.

In just 24-48 hours of the announcement made by LM I have seen everything, good and bad. I have read everything, good and bad. Now we need to try the new version to really know what is good and what is bad about it.

Leaving aside the advertising character that obviously everyone wants to give their products, we must take into account the first words that LM does when launching, which I would like to quote a continuation: "Prepar3D v5 is the first step in the development of a new platform built for next generation simulation and training"

Given this, perhaps we are at the front door of a project of improvements and extensions that only developers can know what are the cards that are up their sleeves.

As a simple user of a simulator that has accompanied my love of aviation since fs98 was released, I think we have come a long way and there is still much to develop.

We are a large number of voracious spectators who always want to get the best for it is closer to the virtual reality that this world offers us.

We are left with nothing to do but keep testing, expect more development and substantial and basic changes that will ultimately translate into improvements.

As they say over there, "I observe the surf as it moves smoothly in the morning and strongly in the afternoon" ... so I hope that the aerial simulation is in these moments of world change where we need more stressful tools.

After Tuesday the 14th (it almost touched Tuesday the 13th hahaha), many of us will have another vision than expected.

Digital hugs ....

Edited by yvjjflores
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If the global illumination has been updated, instead of the old washed out color palette from FSX, then I might be interested in V5.

Edited by Montie