Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

2 hours ago, joherszch said:

New video from Rob, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgJ9W7CVf4 showing off Orbx NorCal, SoCal, KMRY.

Very nice, but VideoRAM above 12 GHz ... too much for my 2080Ti

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Great video! Water spoils from floats. They look like crumbled polystyrene. And I did not see a shadow from the clouds.

Edited by BMW969

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

If you don't want VRAM usage to get to silly levels, stick with 1920x1080 resolution. Heck, I was running P3Dv4 on my old PC with 2GB VRAM.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

I'm assuming it's two things; Rob is running TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP above its default value, which will absolutely eat up VRAM, as it does in v4 as well. Games and software in general also has a tendency to allocate much larger chunks of RAM / VRAM when available, despite it not being strictly necessary. Rob is running a Titan RTX, so P3D has plenty of headroom to allocate a large chunk of VRAM. Wouldn't put anything into that number for your own hardware. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

36 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Rob is running TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP above its default value, which will absolutely eat up VRAM, as it does in v4 as well.

For his video to have any validity for the average user surely we should be accepting that he is running with custom in-sim settings, as shown in the video, and without any further manual adjustments in the configuration file. That way we can rely on what we are seeing is a true representation of what is achievable without any unnecessary additional tweaking. I suspect we have now reached the stage when LM would prefer us to resist introducing any instabilities by leaving well alone.

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

So for DX12, it it more CPU or GPU dependant? I know currently p3D is not great on multi-core CPUs and dual GPUs. Does DX12 fix that so it's more scable?

12 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

For his video to have any validity for the average user surely we should be accepting that he is running with custom in-sim settings, as shown in the video, and without any further manual adjustments in the configuration file. That way we can rely on what we are seeing is a true representation of what is achievable without any unnecessary additional tweaking. I suspect we have now reached the stage when LM would prefer us to resist introducing any instabilities by leaving well alone.

Mike

First off, I doubt the average user in flight simming would expect to be watching a completely barebone, vanilla experience. Tweaking and modding is the cornerstone of our hobby. Especially as you're also watching a video with several pieces of payware addon that changes the look significantly, something that isn't available out of the box. So any notion of having to show off a completely standard experience has already gone out of the window at that point. Plus, maybe I'd expect a completely clean video from LM themselves, for their marketing pieces but videos on Rob's personal channel I'd absolutely expect to be modified to his preference and what's available. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Just drop the texture setting back to 9 - I do, problem fixed ( he did say he ran it at 10)

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

22 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

So for DX12, it it more CPU or GPU dependant? I know currently p3D is not great on multi-core CPUs and dual GPUs. Does DX12 fix that so it's more scable?

Totally depends on the developers utilizing DX12 api. DX12 is a low level graphics API so it opens up asynchrous computing and multithreaded operations directly to your GPU...but a poor DX12 implementation will suck no matter what.

I am running Xplane with the latest vulkan api (successor to OpenGL) and performance is up 30% for me. Xplane keeps my 2080ti busy all the time, something that P3D very rarely does

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

43 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

GodAtum this quote "may" help.

"DX12's focus is on enabling a dramatic increase in visual richness through a significant decrease in API-related CPU overhead," said Nvidia's Henry Moreton last year. (2015) "Historically, drivers and OS software have managed memory, state, and synchronization on behalf of developers. However, inefficiencies result from the imperfect understanding of an application's needs. DX12 gives the application the ability to directly manage resources and state, and perform necessary synchronization. As a result, developers of advanced applications can efficiently control the GPU, taking advantage of their intimate knowledge of the game's behavior."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no doubt in the gaming world DX12 has been a boon (whilst each developer debugged a new generation of bugs) - the complexity of flight sims and their myriad plug ins has delayed the simmers entry into this world. Long overdue imo.

I believe the link in the quote answers your question in more detail.

• Like 1

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

22 minutes ago, Uteman said:

GodAtum this quote "may" help.

"DX12's focus is on enabling a dramatic increase in visual richness through a significant decrease in API-related CPU overhead," said Nvidia's Henry Moreton last year. (2015) "Historically, drivers and OS software have managed memory, state, and synchronization on behalf of developers. However, inefficiencies result from the imperfect understanding of an application's needs. DX12 gives the application the ability to directly manage resources and state, and perform necessary synchronization. As a result, developers of advanced applications can efficiently control the GPU, taking advantage of their intimate knowledge of the game's behavior."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no doubt in the gaming world DX12 has been a boon (whilst each developer debugged a new generation of bugs) - the complexity of flight sims and their myriad plug ins has delayed the simmers entry into this world. Long overdue imo.

I believe the link in the quote answers your question in more detail.

Sounds a bit like vulkan. 

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Sounds a bit like vulkan. 

Well to be technically accurate the nVidia article is from 2014- 2015 so Vulkan is postdating DX12 by some 4 years, your comment I would respectfully suggest should be - Vulkan sounds a bit like DX12. I also recall reading recently that an nVidia development Raytracing and its benefits in gaming is rumoured to be included in the next generation of AMD cards (remember how that feature was rubbished when the 2080Ti was released?).

found the article:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3530346/amd-talks-pc-gpu-ray-tracing-as-it-looks-to-the-future-of-ryzen-and-radeon.html

• Like 2

A.Chryss - near YSCB

DX12 is a hardware specification that D3D and Vulcan can use.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I did screenshots from Rob's video of P3Dv5 display settings, many option like in P3D before, weather has new position + Enhanced Atmosperics option:

9sq2YT4l.jpg

3mTM4uIl.jpg

ZmeOzjBl.jpg

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 2

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2