Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Although it also seemed like it went up and down a lot. I see it often jump from 60 down to 30 and back up again. I don't know if this is an artifact in the FPS counter or a sign of stutters...

Oh no, cover our eyes! Please, I implore you, please don't resurrect the dreaded “S” word!!

Mike 😟

My rig: ASUS ROG Rampage V Extreme, i7-5960X (Dynamic OC 4.6 GHz - all cores, HT=ON, AM=21845), Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT Cooler with 2xNoctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm fans, G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 3000, ASUS GTX 1080Ti ROG STRIX 11GB, GDDR5X (Driver versions: 441.66 (Win7), 452.06 (Win10)), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD x4, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB V-NAND M.2, LG BH16NS40 16x SATA Internal BDRW, EVGA 1200 P2 Watt PSU, Cooler Master HAF X, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q (G-Sync) monitor at 120Hz. Oculus Rift. Dual Boot: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (2004) / Prepar3D v5.0.31.35253, Windows 7 Pro 64bit / Prepar3D v4.5.12.30293.

Posted (edited)

Well. After reading 13 pages of comments and meanwhile thinking what has happened so unexpected yesterday, at least to me, I am very pleased to see that LM is not giving up on us.

I am really happy about the huge list with big and impressive enhancements coming to us. 

I like what I saw. Yes, the trailer was "a bit" simple. But be honest. I did not expected this big update/news coming in April this year! It really surprised me. I also had some thoughts that maybe they would drop the line for the "hobby community" and only serve the business market.

So: I am positive surprised and also happy with these offer they make.

I am not the one who is putting all effort to just one platform. Of course I am also pleased what I am seeing from MSFS.

But there is one big difference between them:

1. Microsoft is joining the market "again" and has a "long way to go".Think of all those planes, services and enhancement packages. Of course they are talking about 40.000 Airports out of the box....and so far and so on....but also they will be very standard compared to an airport which is develppped by an developer who is only concentrating on that special airport! This also counts to a lot of other stuff I am using
  2. P3D is already on the market and V5 is just 1 week away! I will get a lot of my enhancements working again on that platform. AND a lot of developers offer a free upgrade or a reasonable price. In my opinion that is a huge commitment to us as a community and to LM as a platform supplier. We will have to wait what these developers a offering/charging when MSFS hits the market. NOTE: I am willing to pay for all their work! That should be really clear. I am not counting to a customer who is barking at these developers why they are charging us for their work. 
  3. I can choose on P3D V5 if I want a full clean setup with or without backward compatible addons. 

So my short summary:

• Great news to me
  • A lot of my wishes will be fullfillled
  • A lot features and enhancements will come surely after V5
  • I can sim in a pretty up to date simulator in just 6 or 7 days
  • There are more platforms to use with all their own strengths 
  • I have one dream left: Streaming real world data with nice "light illuminating enhancements" maybe in feature?

A big "Thanks" to LM and all the developers who put a lot of their effort already in!

As a  simmer a appreciate all of this.

And apologize to all developers, for all the simmers who wanted to sit on the first row for 5 cent and bagging you to work for free - that is not a proper representation of a flight sim community!

Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Quite excited to see this announced. It has addressed a number of things that have bugged me but not stopped me flying. Great to see the sky/weather and water changes, does that mean there is now the potential for landing lights to illuminate the clouds/fog?

I'll be moving to v5 when certain addons are confirmed as compatible. Good work LM.

JH

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyingpicket said:

I'll be moving to v5 when certain addons are confirmed as compatible. Good work LM.

JH

yep.  Me too

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 | 1080Ti 11GB | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

I want to move to v5, but I have a 737 cockpit which utilises the PMDG 737 NGX.

I can't use the NGXu because my VRInsight overhead panel is not compatible with

it. I very much doubt PMDG will update the NGX when they are not selling it anymore,

so I will probably be stuck with v4 - gutted.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, flyingpicket said:

That will be 5.1 then. Well that's the normal case..

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden.  MSFS 2020  172 G1000 : Bonanza G36 CCL P3D v5  FSL A321 / A320 / A319 : PMDG NGu / 748iF  DCS: A10C  : AV-8B  :  F-14B  : F-16C F/A-18C

My FSL Walkthrough PDF From GPU to Parked.      My PMDG NGXu Light Mod      AVSIM FILES

4790k@4.6 :1070 :16GB DDR3 : Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR.

Ordered = 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON : Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm : 32GB DDR4 CL14 3200MHz : RTX 3080 : Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus : 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2 : Phanteks Enthoo Evolo X Case

47 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Oh no, cover our eyes! Please, I implore you, please don't resurrect the dreaded “S” word!!

Mike 😟

Erm... I'm just looking at the data presented and commenting on what I see. We have a chance to hear from Umberto himself about this, since it's his videos. How about we just wait for him to comment...?

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.8GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

will a gTX 1060 6gb be enough for all the typical addons (30fps atm in v4-orbx, active sky, pmdg) or will i have to pay for like a rtx2060 super

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

After flying the alpha of MSFS for quite some time now... I gotta say I will Uninstall P3D as soon as there is any decent airliner available. 

Also v5 won't change this. 

Until then I enjoy the corona quarantine with WoW Classic. 

• Like 1

Stefan Wiesmayer

My second hobby: BMW F87 M2 LCI

Core i7 6700K | Asus Z170-A | beQuiet! Power Zone 850w | Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 | Asus PA328Q 4K IPS | Asus Strix1080 ti | 32 GB DDR4 G.SKill 3200 | Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition

Just now, Benjamin J said:

Erm... I'm just looking at the data presented and commenting on what I see. We have a chance to hear from Umberto himself about this, since it's his videos. How about we just wait for him to comment...?

V5 feels smoother, in general. It's more visible in real life than on a recorded video ( the recording software takes away some processing time to encode the video while recording ).

But stutters can come from anywhere, AI, many add-ons doing stuff at the same time, etc. That's not really relevant here: I tested V4 vs V5 under the SAME conditions. trying to match settings as close as possible. They are fairly similar, the main difference is TrueSky, which has its own separate settings, a bit different than when using the standard clouds.

Generally speaking, TrueSky seems to be less affected by increasing cloud density, using multiple cloud layers, etc. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benjamin J said:

Although it also seemed like it went up and down a lot. I see it often jump from 60 down to 30 and back up again. I don't know if this is an artifact in the FPS counter or a sign of stutters...

A fluctuating frame rate is usually a sign of stutters, yes. But I always thought the P3D frame rate counter was very sensitive, which is why I usually check frame rates with other tools like Fraps. They also fluctuate but only when there's a noticeable stutter. That said, Umberto did say it was smoother than v4 and I didn't see anything which might not also be attributed to the video capturing software. I am very pleased with what I saw in that comparison, and almost double the frame rate is certainly a huge improvement, especially in a densely populated area at a detailed airport.

Prepar3D v5 | PMDG 737NGXu | FSLabs A320/A321 | www.united-virtual.com | ASUS Maximus XI Code Z390 | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GDDR6 MSI Lightning Z | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB | Samsung 43'' 4K curved TV | HP Reverb 2 VR HMD | Agronn 737 Captain's Yoke | VKB Gladiator NXT Stick | FSC 737 Throttle Quadrant | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

3 minutes ago, swiesma said:

After flying the alpha of MSFS for quite some time now... I gotta say I will Uninstall P3D as soon as there is any decent airliner available. 

So you'll stick with P3D then for the foreseeable future.

I don't think so.... 

Stefan Wiesmayer

My second hobby: BMW F87 M2 LCI

Core i7 6700K | Asus Z170-A | beQuiet! Power Zone 850w | Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 | Asus PA328Q 4K IPS | Asus Strix1080 ti | 32 GB DDR4 G.SKill 3200 | Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition

8 minutes ago, swiesma said:

OK. Thanks for this helpful information we all have bin waiting for. Now the cat is out of the bag (Sarcasm off)

• Like 3