Sign in to follow this  
jo8

Tips?

Hi everyone! i have a few questions, hopefully im  in the right forum haha

1. when im in approach with the Project opensky 777 or pmdg 777, i tend to have a really high angle of attack, and it gets kinda annoying becuase i have hard landings (in FSX)

2. Any tips with Frame rates? 

3. Who is excited for FS 2020! 🙂

Hi there!

1. A high angle of attack may well indicate that your airspeed is a little on the low side, assuming that the plane is still flying and not falling out of the sky! Try a higher approach speed. This will vary and depends upon quite a few factors. My apologies if you already know some of these, but you did ask:

Amount of headwind - you are landing into wind yes? Usually the active runway is one which points into wind Or at least in a direction which minimises the tailwind.. Depending if you are using real world weather then the conditions will vary

Weight of the plane - a lightly loaded plane will require less landing speed than one with a full load.

Flap setting - full flaps should allow you to have a lower approach speed with a lower angle of angle of attack than using less flaps.

POSKY 777 and PMDG777 are completely different beasts as regards complexity and how they are programmed, despite both being an FSX add-on..

Try flaring the landing at different altitudes - i.e begin to flare at 20 feet or begin to flare at 10 feet, or however the tutorial videos tell you (youtube should have numerous landing tutorials for either version). That may soften the landings.

You may want to alter the viewpoint on approach - I think SHIFT + ENTER raises the pilot's eye viewpoint so you would see more of the runway in front of you. (CTRL and SPACE resets).

2. Frame rates: Put all the setting sliders to the left and watch the FPS go through the roof, but the sim wouldn't have much in the way of eye candy.. :wink:. I mentioned before that the PMDG 777 is more complex system-wise than the POSKY offering and thus more demanding on your computer's resources, therefore your framerates will suffer. If you also have extremely detailed airport add-ons then again the FPS will take a nosedive.

3.There's numerous threads on AVSIM about MFS and excitement or not. 

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 4/4/2020 at 4:39 PM, HighBypass said:

Hi there!

1. A high angle of attack may well indicate that your airspeed is a little on the low side, assuming that the plane is still flying and not falling out of the sky! Try a higher approach speed. This will vary and depends upon quite a few factors. My apologies if you already know some of these, but you did ask:

Amount of headwind - you are landing into wind yes? Usually the active runway is one which points into wind Or at least in a direction which minimises the tailwind.. Depending if you are using real world weather then the conditions will vary

Weight of the plane - a lightly loaded plane will require less landing speed than one with a full load.

Flap setting - full flaps should allow you to have a lower approach speed with a lower angle of angle of attack than using less flaps.

POSKY 777 and PMDG777 are completely different beasts as regards complexity and how they are programmed, despite both being an FSX add-on..

Try flaring the landing at different altitudes - i.e begin to flare at 20 feet or begin to flare at 10 feet, or however the tutorial videos tell you (youtube should have numerous landing tutorials for either version). That may soften the landings.

You may want to alter the viewpoint on approach - I think SHIFT + ENTER raises the pilot's eye viewpoint so you would see more of the runway in front of you. (CTRL and SPACE resets).

2. Frame rates: Put all the setting sliders to the left and watch the FPS go through the roof, but the sim wouldn't have much in the way of eye candy.. :wink:. I mentioned before that the PMDG 777 is more complex system-wise than the POSKY offering and thus more demanding on your computer's resources, therefore your framerates will suffer. If you also have extremely detailed airport add-ons then again the FPS will take a nosedive.

3.There's numerous threads on AVSIM about MFS and excitement or not. 

Thank you very much! if i want to ask question where do i post? i dont want to get any more warnings!

Thanks once again!

• Like 1

You're in the right forum to post about FSX.

PMDG does have separate user forums on AVSIM, just scroll down the forums and you'll find it.

In case you get tired of scrolling (there's a lot of forms on AVSIM!) here's the specific one for the PMDG 777

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/520-pmdg-777/

As for the POSKY there's no specific forum, but there is a general freeware discussion forum. You might get away with posting about it in the FSX forum, but that's up to the mods.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

oh! last time i got a warning for being on the wrong forum?? i dont know haha but thank you so much!

final question!

i have an error when i try to do real world weather? 

thoughts?

thanks!

You haven't got a real world weather server active. I guess you're using default FSX real world weather? If so, then NOPE!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/1796278072828836195/

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

2 hours ago, jo8 said:

oh! last time i got a warning for being on the wrong forum?? i dont know haha but thank you so much!

Just to clear this up, if you re-read the warning it was not for posting in the wrong forum but for posting the same topic in multiple forums which is against the rules and creates confusion.

Posting a topic in the wrong forum is not a big deal nor against the rules. We can easily move the topic to the correct forum.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

23 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Just to clear this up, if you re-read the warning it was not for posting in the wrong forum but for posting the same topic in multiple forums which is against the rules and creates confusion.

Posting a topic in the wrong forum is not a big deal nor against the rules. We can easily move the topic to the correct forum.

Gotcha! Where would i ask the questions?

25 minutes ago, jo8 said:

Gotcha! Where would i ask the questions?

You ask the questions in the appropriate forums. You have a question pertaining to FSX, ask in the FSX forum (here). Question about PMDG, ask in the PMDG forum. Question about P3D, ask in the P3D forum, etc., etc. 

We've got lots of forums here for different sims, hardward, commercial devs, etc.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator