Sign in to follow this  
Concodroid

Why do you think flight simulator is a "game"?

So I've heard that some of us think Flight Simulator 2020 is a game. If you, or someone you know, thinks that, reply with the rationale for that - I'm just not sure why anyone would think that.

IMO all simulators are games because hey they are not real life lol... you don’t get the sense of movement on desktops and no matter what (desktop or full level D) you’ll never get 1:1 accuracy of flight through a simulation. In saying that there’s obviously different levels of realism which make you believe what flight might look like. And as long as my brain is convinced then I’m happy... I’m the full blown paid addon type (pmdg,fslabs) I don’t settle for anything less. 

Edited by Ridvan Celik
Add
  • Like 3

These types of topics as a routine escalate into stronger opinions and then arguments, and then worse.  Why start?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 16

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

15 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

So I've heard that some of us think Flight Simulator 2020 is a game. If you, or someone you know, thinks that, reply with the rationale for that - I'm just not sure why anyone would think that.

It's just a question of how you use it. Some are using FSX etc. as a game and some as a simulator. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

It's just a question of how you use it. Some are using FSX etc. as a game and some as a simulator. 

Can't agree more.

In a sim, I can land a Cessna with 120knots and walk away as if nothing happened (even in XP).

But if I approach it with a serious attitude and know what and how I have to train, it delivers good elements to do so.

I also have to agree in part with @Ridvan Celik. Maybe, far into the future we will have a home experience that can match reality, but that's still a long way to go.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

21 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

So I've heard that some of us think Flight Simulator 2020 is a game.

Look up the definition of "game" in a few dictionaries and you will see that it fits.  Merriam-Webster "2a(1): activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

I find the ones that object to "game" are the ones that look down on games in some way.  Maybe they think they are for kids, or a waste of time as if educational games didn't exist.

So it can be a simulator and a game.  But if you still object, we could leave it up to Microsoft.  Here is the first part of the NDA.  

Guidelines & NDA
You may be invited, at Microsoft's discretion to download early versions of the Game and participate in test phases. ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Concodroid said:

This question has been beaten to death on this forum. Just do a search and you will see plenty of opinions.

I'll throw some gas on it. They are making it able to run on an X-Box. X-Box is a gaming device. At the end of the day it is probably a combination of both. 

Does it rely matter what you call it a software program if you like.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Because Microsoft is selling it under a gaming license, like all the other titles on GamePass and/or done by XBox Game Studios. Which is a good thing, because it allows us to use it for anything we want. Except for professional applications probably - not because it can't be used that way, but because a professional (or worse -commercial) use requires a different type of license (and will usually cost a lot more).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 3

LORBY-SI

This is exactly what puts some people of flight sim some seem to think it above everything else Elite users only.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I don't consider simulators games. Games tend to have tiers of some variety and a reward/scoring system and tend to be pure entertainment. Simulators tend not to really have a point beyond that of education and learning. To aviation nerds like us this just happens to be entertaining.

So no. I don't believe they are the same thing but neither does it need to be an elitist thing. I enjoy games and I enjoy simulators. Horses for courses and all that.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, abranpuko said:

life is a game.

I totally agree, it's a mind game!  :laugh: huey1177.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I don't consider simulators games. Games tend to have tiers of some variety and a reward/scoring system and tend to be pure entertainment. Simulators tend not to really have a point beyond that of education and learning.

We already know there is a landing challenge where people try to out score each other.

24 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

but because a professional (or worse -commercial) use requires a different type of license (and will usually cost a lot more).

Thank you for mentioning this. Now, I don't want to start another yes/no war here, but for that reason it doesn't make any sense why PMDG's aircraft will cost more for MSFS than they do for P3D. They always stated that the P3D products were more expensive because of the Commercial license. As MSFS will most likely use the Gaming license you would expect it to be cheaper again. And I know that developing for a new (well, with some references still to FSX) is always expensive, but they're contradicting themselves.

As for the actual debate here, I see "games" as the overarching category and simulation is just a subgenre. They're actually called simulation games.

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.