Sign in to follow this  
Concodroid

Why do you think flight simulator is a "game"?

50 minutes ago, mSparks said:

like I said. its against avsim rules to discuss why it is not true.

if you want to know what purposes P3D and xplane can be used for you will need to read their available licence agreements on your own.

Licence agreements only means, zda it is usable for official training or not, nothink more. It do not means how close it is to reality 😉 So home users can using X-plane, P3D, MSFS as a simulator or like a game.

Edited by ludekbrno
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Moons over Miami?? :blink:

I fold. Too good for me. :sad:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Interesting... So, FS2004 & FSX packaging says "'GAMES FOR WINDOWS" on their packaging.. and users call them simulators?

Steam has the Games category, listing FSX:SE.  as a game

Wiki calls it: Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020 video game)

MSFS will be marketed on Xbox Game Studios, previously known as Microsoft Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, and Microsoft Games, is a division of Microsoft based in Redmond, Washington. It was established in March 2000, spun out from an internal Games Group, for the development and publishing of video games for Microsoft Windows. It has since expanded to include games and other interactive entertainment for the namesake Xbox platforms, Windows Mobile and other mobile platforms, and web-based portals. As the studio grew, it has acquired and relinquished ownership of several other studios, and is the parent organization of fifteen other studios.

No Simulation description here: Asobo Studio SARL is a video game developer based in Bordeaux, France, and founded in 2002. The studio has developed 17 video games, including video game adaptations of the Pixar movies Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3

So, putting lipstick onto a game does not change what the manufactures, developers & distributors officially call the game. Adding the name 'Simulation' does not change what it is. According to the developers, it's just a naming convention to their gaming product!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I really admire people's tenuousness in keeping this hoary old subject alive. Keep going lads, just what we need in These Difficult Times ©. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

1 hour ago, ludekbrno said:

X-plane, P3D, MSFS as a simulator or like a game.

MSFS2020 and FSX cannot be used for training/commercially, they for entertainment purposes only. Dont think I'm going far enough to break the rules by saying this is not true of P3D and Xplane.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Ah the great debate, much like is golf a sport or activity. Our beloved brand is no different than Farming Simulator, Rail Simulator, Truck & Logistics Simulator, Ship Simulator and even Digital Combat Simulator...... they're all games.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Thirty odd years ago the US Navy had 'flight stations' set up in classrooms at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station and Kingsville NAS for "ab initio" flight training of newly arrived student pilots...

They were using FS9 at the time! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Thirty odd years ago the US Navy had 'flight stations' set up in classrooms at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station and Kingsville NAS for "ab initio" flight training of newly arrived student pilots...

They were using FS9 at the time! :biggrin:

FS9 is only 16 years old, so must have been something else!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

OK, a firetruck is also a motorcycle then.

14 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

FS9 is only 16 years old, so must have been something else!

It is more likely my memory is getting even more flakey and unreliable than I suspected my friend! I owned a business in Kingsville at the time and saw them while visiting my nephew when he arrived for flight training. It was in fact 20 years ago, so it was more likely FS98, which was released September 16, 1997...

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

So, putting lipstick onto a game does not change what the manufactures, developers & distributors officially call the game. Adding the name 'Simulation' does not change what it is. According to the developers, it's just a naming convention to their gaming product!

That's all fine - but, relative to what we can get for under a thousand bucks, MSFS is a simulator - it (based on the feature discovery episodes) is the highest-accuracy representation of flying we can feasibly afford - so relative to us, it is a simulator.

I'm not a pilot (yet) but I was blown away by the aerodynamics episode.

Either way, I now agree with @Ron Attwood - there's really not much else to talk about in this topic. And it's kinda stupid to talk about what a... program... is like between 2 and 15 months before release!

"Oh, that new Mustang Mach 1 - it doesn't have that... thrill delivery system, that "fizz" (to quote James May)."

"But you haven't driven it! It's being released next year!"

"Well, yeah..."

"Then how do you know what it's like to drive?"

"Well... it's made by Ford, who make the... the... the B-Max 1.4 Duratec Studio!"

literally what's happening here

7 hours ago, mSparks said:

like I said. its against avsim rules to discuss why it is not true.

if you want to know what purposes P3D and xplane can be used for you will need to read their available licence agreements on your own.

If you believe their marketing hype, you’ll believe anything. Do you live in the desert? I’ve got some sand to sell you. Best grain out there...

Well, I always thought I was a real flight simmer, but I just found out I'm a gamer!

Hey, that reminds me of a story ---

This old, weather beaten cowpoke orders a whiskey at the bar at the historic Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow, Wyoming. As he rolls a smoke this lady comes in, sits down at the bar, and orders a vodka tonic. She looks at him and says -- are you a real cowboy?

He looks at her and says, well I've spent my entire life mending fences, putting up hay, breaking colts and branding/castrating calves and riding herd. I guess you could say I'm a real cowboy.

She looked at him and said --- me, I'm a lesbian. All I can think about day and night is women. Day in and day out, all I can think about is women! She finished her drink and left.

The cowhand got this strange look on his face as he watched her disappear through the door.

He shook his head, ordered another whisky and built another cigarette.

About then a couple from New Jersey walk in the door and sit at the bar. The woman turns to the old cowpoke and says -- are you a real cowboy?

He blew a smoke ring, took a drink of whisky, and said to the lady --- Well, I always thought I was a real cowboy, but I just found out I'm a lesbian!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brucets said:

Well, I always thought I was a real flight simmer, but I just found out I'm a gamer!

I'm perfectly happy to be both! Gamer reactions with Simming knowledge.

Also, @Doug47, when Flight simulator 2020 does come out and it turns out they WEREN'T lying about calculating the lift and drag on every surface and having 64 layers of clouds and etc. and etc. and etc., I shall hold you to your word! (sort of sarcasm).

I'm not sure Feature Discovery is really marketing... It is, in a sense, but they don't dumb down any of the stuff they talk about, and they aren't putting ads for flight simulator up yet, and I wouldn't count "feature discovery" series as marketing-focused, only informative-focused. There's no real opinions in the episodes, are there? Just info about the sim.

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:04 PM, KenG said:

There is a specific ground crew certification program that groundcrews must go through before they just jump up front and start pushing buttons. If your airline lets you do so untrained, then I would not boast about that on a public forum. 

I didn't say I hadn't been properly trained on that stuff, I said I already knew how to do it from flight sims. Nobody is going to let anyone start f***ing around with an airliner if they are not authorised to do so, and we are always told never to do anything we've not been passed out on.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here