Sign in to follow this  
GlideBy

Question for bush pilots.

In the Multiplayer video they show this yellow plane landing (see image below).  I am not a bush pilot, but I want to try it out in the new sim, so I don't want to learn bad habits.  So is this landing a safe landing in real life?  Or is there a good chance the plane would flip, or catch one wheel?

This is taken just as it was touching down.  (Some of the later frames you can't see the wheels because of the vegetation.)  In the video it starts at about 3:13. https://youtu.be/ezcSVFQdc5g?t=193

Isoa4GB.jpg

And maybe you can educate me on where you could or couldn't land in a bush plane.  Exclude the obvious like too short, big rocks, etc.

Edited by GlideBy

It would need to be reasonably flat; Make a slow and low pass over the proposed runway to look for dangers objects. Also tundra tires are best for these type landings. :cool: huey1177.gif

A Cub in the hands of an expert bush pilot can land in places where most people couldn't even see the places.  Read any books about bush flying in Alaska to get some examples.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

Read any books about bush flying in Alaska to get some examples.  

I have been watching bush pilots on Youtube.  Of the ones I have watched, most were on groomed grass airfields, or smooth river banks, things like that.  I haven't seen any thick vegetation landings similar to the video.  But I am far from an expert here.  So just wanted to see what people thought.

13 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

I have been watching bush pilots on Youtube.  Of the ones I have watched, most were on groomed grass airfields, or smooth river banks, things like that.  I haven't seen any thick vegetation landings similar to the video.  But I am far from an expert here.  So just wanted to see what people thought.

Look for the Trent Palmer YT channel. Guys flying and landing their Cub-like aircraft in the CA backcountry hills. Exactly what I expect from FS20.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

they land basically anywhere in nearly 8 feet distance with big fluffy tires.

8 hours ago, GlideBy said:

You want to be very careful landing on snow or any kind of vegetation.  Both can hide obstacles.  As @jpc55 mentioned earlier you need to do one or more low passes over the landing area to make sure it's safe.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

10 hours ago, domkle said:

Look for the Trent Palmer YT channel. Guys flying and landing their Cub-like aircraft in the CA backcountry hills. Exactly what I expect from FS20.

I will watch some of his videos.  It will be nice to see landings in rough country.  Thanks

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

You want to be very careful landing on snow or any kind of vegetation.  Both can hide obstacles.  As @jpc55 mentioned earlier you need to do one or more low passes over the landing area to make sure it's safe.

Hook

So mostly you are looking for rocks, big divots, things like that?

Sounds like bush landings will be no problem in MSFS, as there aren't any rocks, or divots, or details like that.  I hope they add more details to make it more realistic.

23 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

Sounds like bush landings will be no problem in MSFS, as there aren't any rocks, or divots, or details like that.  I hope they add more details to make it more realistic.

I don't see why they couldn't implement random rocks of any size in their procedural generation of the ground.

That would be really great indeed, maybe on a later update after launch...

• Like 1

Many years ago I was hunting moose in Alaska. While traveling across a section of tundra with vegetation varying from knee to waist high I encountered a set of strange tracks that only existed for a few hundred feet.The only other tracks in the area were from my ATV and they could be easily followed all the way back to camp. After studying the tracks and discovering an empty case of aviation oil shoved under a bush, I decided someone had landed, changed the oil in their airplane and took off again. It was a pretty rough ride on the ATV and I shudder to think what it would have been like in that airplane for the brief time it was on the ground.

• Like 1

Big low pressure mains, big tail wheel, longer gear legs, safety cables axle to axle and some extra belly protection wouldn't hurt.  Check out Mike Patey's 'Scrappy' build on Youtube.  

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Check out Mike Patey's 'Scrappy' build on Youtube.  

Love the Scrappy build, but hate that guy's mannerisms...back to work!

I've always been an FMS kind of guy, but I'm warming to bush flying. Especially now that MSFS is going to be light years ahead of FSX in the scenery department.

Draco would be an interesting addition to FS.

11 hours ago, GlideBy said:

Your remark about bad habits is spot on. Sloppiness is not an option in bush flying and that what makes it fun. It is cool to land in the middle of nowhere like Trent Palmer (among others, another good YT channel is Backcountry182) but it is even better when the approach is imposed on you with a goal to land a loaded aircraft (higher stall speed) on a small and narrow strip which is, make your non exclusive choices

- on a hi-grade slope,

- hemmed in high trees,

- in a canyon,

- with close wooded hills around

- with a precipice or a hill at the end

- and no go-around on short final.

There are not so bad products in P3D for that, mainly older Orbx addons (PNG, Central Rockies for Idaho and Montana, South Alaska, PNW). 

FS 20 could bring a lot more, like among other things an extension to the whole world -  I loved the Costa Rica Ranger Station screenshot - and better interaction between wheels, weight and ground to take into account the latter (mud, sand, grass, pebbles, ruts, puddles). And, why not, pigs, dogs, hens !

I will not get into the floatplanes as we have not heard much yet from Asobo about the water physics which is no very good in P3D in my opinion. 

Two shorts vid I put on the Avsim video form

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

FS 20 could bring a lot more, like among other things an extension to the whole world -  I loved the Costa Rica Ranger Station screenshot - and better interaction between wheels, weight and ground to take into account the latter (mud, sand, grass, pebbles, ruts, puddles). And, why not, pigs, dogs, hens !

This is what I am hoping for, realistic friction dependant on tire size, with concrete, asphalt, mud, dirt, grass, sand, pebbles, wet grass, wet concrete, etc.  And yes, ruts, rocks, puddles, birds, cats, dogs, oh my.

I did watch some more videos, including Trent's.  I did see one of hills where he landed on a grassy hill similar to the multiplayer video.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, domkle said:

among others, another good YT channel is Backcountry182

Very nice videos indeed, but what is the instrument they have near the windshield, it looks like a vertical set of lights.

Is it like something like the ILS glideslope but for bush strips?