Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Why I Wear A Mask!

Please watch this disturbing low-light video study of how micro-droplets remain suspended in the air for up to several HOURS after a cough, sneeze or just talking!

This is why everyone should wear at least a simple mask while this Covid-19 pandemic is around. The point is to protect others, not necessarily one's self... although it will provide some protection.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 7

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, Fr Bill. Very informative.👍

I wear one any time I go out to work or buy necessities here.

I don't like wearing them, but they will reduce the probability to some extent and it is simply a case of keeping your probability of infection as low as possible. Even if it is only a few percent.
Living in Japan, wearing a mask is never anything out of the ordinary here, but on my trip to Ireland at the start of February I felt weird (and didn't bother wearing it) as nobody had one.

Please look after yourself, Father. It is going to be a very different Triduum than we are used to for this year.

Neil

26 minutes ago, ezochi said:

Please look after yourself, Father. It is going to be a very different Triduum than we are used to for this year.

Neil

Thanks, Neil. This indeed will be the first Lent and Easter where I will have to celebrate Mass "solo." I have some very dear friends with whom I've shared Seder during Passover for many years, but that too is not going to happen this year.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

13 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Thanks, Neil. This indeed will be the first Lent and Easter where I will have to celebrate Mass "solo." I have some very dear friends with whom I've shared Seder during Passover for many years, but that too is not going to happen this year.

Currently, same scenario at my local Church with the very unique occasion may of us have missed Palm Sunday, this Sunday. But one small crumb of comfort is we can follow the 'solo' celebrant online.🙏

My wife is a public health nurse. We wear masks also. Yesterday I went on a "mask hunt" on the internet. By far, the best source now in the USA is Walmart.com. Do a search on "masks" and look for masks sold by a company called Mancro. The delivery time is quoted as not more than 10 days. I know that's not good but it's the best I could find after looking at many sites for over 4 hours. 20 masks are USD $21.24 but that's the right price compared to all other sources. All I can add is if you want masks order them NOW. This is especially critical now that the CDC has said everyone should wear masks. I suspect in a few days the supply will be gone everywhere. Everything on Amazon.com already has a delivery date that's out 4-7 weeks or more. Don't wait and stay safe...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thank you for sharing this video.  It is hard to imagine the damage one can do with a cough or sneeze in normal times.  These are not normal times.

There is a video that an angry bus driver posted on YouTube that he tells of one of his passengers persistently coughing without covering her mouth.  Two weeks later that bus driver is dead.

You can easily make your own...there are patterns widely available for cutting the material, and if you aren't blessed with a wife that sews, the straps can be safety-pinned or even superglued onto the corners of the mask.

An old-fashioned cowboy stick-em-up bandanna is also an option.  But maybe not when entering a bank lobby...

Personally, I think it'd be fun to wear a WW II era surplus chemical gas mask, or an aviator's helmet with O2 mask.  Or a deep sea diver's bell helmet.  Or maybe a Darth Vader helmet.

All kidding aside, something that covers the whole head doesn't seem like such a bad idea, well, at least until the government changes its mind again.  Hard to keep current with the flip-flopping guidance coming from the designated expert of the week any more.

• Like 5

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Here's a short video making the rounds about how to make your own mask without any sewing.

I'm going to try this on Sunday as soon as my cloth handkerchief shipment gets here.  Right now I'm improvising with scarves - not great but better than nothing.

Time to get inventive...

• Like 1

Why make your own when China makes them for you (cough)

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I doubt those are fda registered. Maybe niosh or ce. Hah!

Here is another video on how to make a no-sewing mask which even includes a filter material that has 95% effective blocking of viruses.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

A real-world example courtesy of myself:

Last weekend I was out for a walk (from home! :tongue:) down a local public footpath which I'd never explored in the 20+ years I've been living in this village :cool:. Upon returning to the road I was behind a young couple, about 50 to 60 yards behind them. The chap was vaping on his e-cig and whilst the vapour cloud had disappeared by the time I got to the spot where I noticed him puffing away on it, I could smell the flavour... 

Would it have mattered as I think that odour molecules (esters?) are much smaller than viruses..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

18 hours ago, W2DR said:

My wife is a public health nurse. We wear masks also. Yesterday I went on a "mask hunt" on the internet. By far, the best source now in the USA is Walmart.com. Do a search on "masks" and look for masks sold by a company called Mancro.

Wow! Thanks Doug. I just ordered 2x (40 masks). I've been using the one I had on hand for the three times I needed to use it, and been spraying it down with disinfectant spray after returning home.

Fr. Bill