Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

AV Software (particularly MSE) and P3D Installers

Hi,

I'm new to simming in the Windows 10 environment. I was using Windows 7 and NOD32. I never experienced any issues with installing add ons in Windows 7 with NOD32. Now I am using Microsoft Security Essentials and the rest of the MS security software.

I know a lot of developers recommend turning off AV software while installing. What do I need to do in W10 to avoid problems with installers?

I already have UAC disabled.

Thanks.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

4 hours ago, yvesamuel said:

use Nod32...

Yves

Thanks.

Are you suggesting that I turn off Windows 10 security and install NOD32 on the new system? That would be my first idea, but I know a lot of people say that I should just go with what is offered in Windows 10.

I'm not very concerned about malware or viruses with the new system - it is FS specific (maybe a few other games). My old system still has NOD32, and that one will be my daily driver.

My main goal is to have the least amount of interference with installers.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

OMG.  I really hate seeing threads about AV in the flight sim world, as I have rarely in my 40 years in this hobby seen a single post on this topic in our community that was correct or even made sense.  Before I go any further, let me say that I am formally trained and experienced in computer security, so I'm not bloody well guessing or rolling the dice.

ESET has improved over the years but is still inferior to many, many others including Windows 10 Security.  Stepping down to solve a minor, easily resolved issue is a terrible (sorry) idea. 

A reading from the Computer Security Gospel of Dave:

To my knowledge over the past 40 years, we've found only two flight sim products where the developer decided to wiggle in malware into a payware product (I won't elaborate on this). I'm not familiar with any freeware products that have had Malware and I've personally scanned and used a great deal of flight sim freeware.  All bets are off if one decides to use pirated software.

The issue you're having is that FSX/P3D is often installed to a protected directory AND applications are (or should be) run as Administrator.   Because of this, standard advice for as long as I can remember has been to disable your AntiVirus software (rarely the firewall) before you install Flight Sim software.  After the install you should re-enable the computer security and then reboot.

That should solve all your issues. 

Oh yeah, stay with Windows 10 Security. If you want to use a third party product I ONLY recommend Nortons (which I use on many different computers and have done for many years), Kasperky, or Bit Defender.  I recommend no other computer security software for home users.  I most often recommend Nortons because it's very easy to configure for those who don't fully understand computer security settings.

Dave 3:19  Now bring out the Holy Hand-Grenade!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

50 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

OMG.  I really hate seeing threads about AV in the flight sim world, as I have rarely in my 40 years in this hobby seen a single post on this topic in our community that was correct or even made sense.  Before I go any further, let me say that I am formally trained and experienced in computer security, so I'm not bloody well guessing or rolling the dice.

ESET has improved over the years but is still inferior to many, many others including Windows 10 Security.  Stepping down to solve a minor, easily resolved issue is a terrible (sorry) idea. 

A reading from the Computer Security Gospel of Dave:

To my knowledge over the past 40 years, we've found only two flight sim products where the developer decided to wiggle in malware into a payware product (I won't elaborate on this). I'm not familiar with any freeware products that have had Malware and I've personally scanned and used a great deal of flight sim freeware.  All bets are off if one decides to use pirated software.

The issue you're having is that FSX/P3D is often installed to a protected directory AND applications are (or should be) run as Administrator.   Because of this, standard advice for as long as I can remember has been to disable your AntiVirus software (rarely the firewall) before you install Flight Sim software.  After the install you should re-enable the computer security and then reboot.

That should solve all your issues. 

Oh yeah, stay with Windows 10 Security. If you want to use a third party product I ONLY recommend Nortons (which I use on many different computers and have done for many years), Kasperky, or Bit Defender.  I recommend no other computer security software for home users.  I most often recommend Nortons because it's very easy to configure for those who don't fully understand computer security settings.

Dave 3:19  Now bring out the Holy Hand-Grenade!

Thanks. MSE should d the trick then. I've only used WIndows 10 at work, so I haven't gotten under the hood very much. With MSE, should I just shut off real-time monitoring and leave the firewall alone?

BTW, NOD32 has been fine for me. I have been using it for years, and it seems to catch everything I encounter. While I never use pirated software, I have visited a few unsavory websites over the years:). Most of all, I have never had an issue with it when installing software. I only disable it when I fly, not when I install stuff. Is it the best? IDK. Doesn't really matter for me anymore, because I'll be wiping the Windows 7 rig and installing Windows 10 on that one as well, as soon as the P3D transition is done.

My two cents worth. Using FSX:SE

I’ve seen numerous posts not to install FSX into the default install directory.  I did and never had an issue with FSX crashing, locking up other that the odd OOM.  

I’ve never disabled my anti-virus software when installing add-ons and I have lots of them. Never had an issue with any of them not working.

I do make sure when I install a new add on to ”Run as an administrator.”

Stay safe

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.