Sign in to follow this  
cudgedave

'Speech not recognised.."

Hello all,

I am having some bother with Pilot2ATC on Windows 10. I recently upgraded from Windows 7(Yeah I know I'm slow!) and the software worked superb on Win7 but when I use 'Practice' on Grammar help or (talking to ATC nothing happens) it says 'Speech not recognised' although I have done every step and setting (From Mic,to Speech recognition in Win10) and just won't work.

But my mic is working because I can 'talk' to 'Cortana' and I can use Win10s voice recorder. So I am at a loss!

As I say on WIn 7 I had no troubles with the software. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Check in Windows 10 Settings, Time & Language->Speech tab that English-US is selected as the Speech Language.  You can also run through the Microphone setup on that page.

On the Language page, check that English(United States) is at the top of the Preferred Languages list.  If English is not the only language, also check the options and be sure the Speech Recognition for English US has been installed.

And here are some common problems that affect Speech Recognition.  7-11 might be most relevant for your situation:

1.    SWITCH SETTINGS: Check to be sure the Power indicator in the bottom left of the main P2A screen is  green.  If not, then you need to turn on the battery switch and avionics switch in the aircraft, or if that doesn’t turn it green, check the 2 options “Ignore Battery Switch” and “Ignore Avionics Switch” in the Config P2A Setup panel.
2.    VALID CALL SIGN: Make sure you are using a valid call sign by changing it to the default Mfg: Beech; Tail Number: N431VB and pressing the Save Button.  You can send me a screenshot of this page and I will let you know if there is a problem with the call sign.
3.    VALID FREQUENCY: Be sure you have a valid frequency showing in the Active frequency display.  Open the Radio Panel and check that the frequency selected has a valid controller assigned.  Try swapping the active and standby frequencies a couple of times.
4.    PTT BUTTON: Use the PTT button on the main screen to eliminate the possibility of it being the Joystick button setup as the issue
5.    VALID PHRASES: Make sure the phrase you are using is appropriate for the controller.  “Say Altimeter” should work with all controllers, so use it.
6.    VOLUME SETTINGS: Check the Windows Volume Mixer and be sure Pilot2ATC volume is turned up. (While P2A is running, right click on the speaker icon in the task bar and select Volume Mixer).  Also check the volume of the voices in P2A Config.  On the Communications tab of the Sound dialog, be sure "Do Nothing" is checked for when Windows detects Communications activity.
7.    HEADSET SOUND SETTINGS: If you are using a headset, Windows may recognize that and put a set of "level" settings on the Levels tab of the Headphone Properties.  To set these, select the Headset in the playback devices Windows Settings and press "Properties". Select the Levels tab.  Be sure all levels are turned up as in this screenshot - notice the Microphone setting here on the Playback device:

8.    HEADSET AS DEFAULT PLAYBACK AND RECORDING DEVICE: If you have a headset mic set as the default Recording/Audio Input device, be sure and set the Headset as the Default Playback/Audio Output device.  Some users have had their microphone not working because  they set their Speakers as the Playback device.  
9.    DEFAULT COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE: If using a headset as the default Playback/Recording device, be sure it is not also being used as the Default Communications Device.  This assignment of multiple duties seems to cause a problem.  Likewise, be sure the microphone is not assigned to any other duties besides the default audio input device.
10.    GRAMMAR HELP SCREEN AND DIAGNOSTICS: Try using the Grammar Help screen.  
⦁    Press the Grmr Help button to the right of the Flight Plan
⦁    Pess the Practice button 
⦁    Take a screenshot of the resulting Message box with the connection information and email to me 
⦁    Try saying "Say Altimeter" with no other words.  It should be recognized.  Let me know the result.
⦁    If not being recognized, press the "Replay" button and see what your voice sounds like.  If no sound, then your voice is not getting through to Pilot2ATC.
11.    SOUND DRIVERS AND ADD ON PROGRAMS - Many PCs come with Sound Add On programs from the manufacturer that are run at startup.  Some of these programs may "Capture" the microphone and prevent Pilot2ATC from hearing it.  Also, some addons may have such features.  Check to be sure there are not other sound programs running.  Also be sure that you have the latest Audio Drivers for your Microphone installed.

Thanks for the reply Dave, But yes I did all your very useful suggestions but was a no-go. But I downloaded a piece of stand alone software called 'Equaliser APO' and its plug-in called 'Peace' which boosts your microphone output (Although in windows it was at %100 and my mic was still to quiet). I believe Win10 has 'trouble' with USB headset mics.

But anyway ATC can hear me now! 

Cheers Dave and take care.

I know its nearly two years on but I have a similar problem.  When using the mike I get no response from Pilot2ATC.  If I go to grammar help I get "voice not recognised" but my voice is clearly heard when using playback.  I believe I have tried all the fixes suggested but with no effect

If you can hear your voice saying the phrase in Grammar Help when you press Replay, then the mic is working.

That would indicate that the phrase you are saying is not valid, the language settings are not correct, or there is some other speech recognition issue.

When you press "Practice" button in Grammar Help, an info window pops up.  Please post that window or let me know what's in it.

Then try saying just "Say Altimeter".  If that is recognized but other phrases are not, it could be an invalid call sign being used.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me - the pop-up window reads as follows

1. Active Default Input Device: Desktop Microphone (3 - Microsoft LifeCam Studio(TM))
  2. Reco Engine Name: MS-1033-80-DESK
  3. Reco Engine Description: Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - US)
  4. Language: English (United States)
  5. Grammar: Static Grammar
  6. Grammar Loaded: True

The callsign used is Easy 1952 for EasyJet and the setting is airliner

I have tried the default call sign with no effect and just saying Say Altimeter

Pop up window looks good and the Grammar is loading correctly.

The call sign looks OK.

When you press the large PTT button on the screen and say "Say Altimeter", can you hear your voice saying that when you press the Replay button?

If not, then the mic is not getting through to P2A.  Recheck all the items above related to the Mic/Recording device.  

Dave

Have you done the Recognition Training for P2A?  

Press the Train button in the bottom right of Grammar Helper and a new Language /Speech Recognition Trainer window will open.

Do the training for each controller in the left side of that window.

Dave

Sorry to revisit an old topic. Something must have changed when I updated stuff on my computer. Pilot2Atc is not hearing me any more. Any assistance would be great. Thanks!

Log file attached.

Program StartedPilot 2 ATC (P2A) - version 2.6.2.4_x64_beta1  01/20/2022 12:18:14
Trying to create DB_Dyno.
DB_Dyno created successfully.
Init 15% done.
Trying to create DB_Base.
DB_Base created successfully.
Application frmP2AMain starting 01/20/2022 12:18:41
Loading Joystick Devices - 3 devices loaded.
Loading Form
Main form opened: Pilot2ATC 2020 v. 2.6.2.4_x64_beta1      NavDataPro - AIRAC cycle: 2113
Joystick Device number 0 successfully activated.
Loading Map Control
LoadMapControl: panel 1
Creating ucMap1
Native library pre-loader is trying to load native SQLite library "G:\Pilot2ATC_2020_x64\x64\SQLite.Interop.dll"...
SQLiteVersion: 3.32.1 | 2020-05-25 16:19:56 0c1fcf4711a2e66c813aed38cf41cd3e2123ee8eb6db98118086764c4ba83350 | INTEROP_EXTENSION_FUNCTIONS INTEROP_FTS5_EXTENSION INTEROP_JSON1_EXTENSION INTEROP_PERCENTILE_EXTENSION INTEROP_REGEXP_EXTENSION INTEROP_SESSION_EXTENSION INTEROP_SHA1_EXTENSION INTEROP_TOTYPE_EXTENSION INTEROP_VIRTUAL_TABLE NET_46 PRELOAD_NATIVE_LIBRARY THROW_ON_DISPOSED TRACE TRACE_PRELOAD TRACE_SHARED TRACE_WARNING USE_INTEROP_DLL USE_PREPARE_V2 WINDOWS
ucMap1 Created
ucMap DockFill set.
Setting Map Mode
Done Loading Map Control
Loading FPL Control
FPL Control Loaded
Pilot2ATC_2020.exe    Information    0    SAPI does not implement phonetic alphabet selection.       at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceEventCache.get_Callstack()
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Logging.FileLogTraceListener.TraceEvent(TraceEventCache eventCache, String source, TraceEventType eventType, Int32 id, String message)
   at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.TraceEvent(TraceEventType eventType, Int32 id, String format, Object[] args)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.RecognizerBase.Initialize(SapiRecognizer recognizer, Boolean inproc)
   at System.Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine.get_RecoBase()
   at P2A_2020.frmGrammarHelper.LoadPilotGrammar()
   at P2A_2020.frmGrammarHelper.cdbc7f2378dfec6bd82b80dc6b188458e(Object cb25b07786a6e786dea76cf87175f59f0, EventArgs cb4d4bf05d278f00a41fc902f6c5d26a2)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at A.c4f7f2103942aab5c40ccc705b2e009a9.c39e4a2c7012e9e0ba9055469c605637a()    ""    5428    1    78278038047
Active Default Input Device: Mic in at front panel (Pink) (Realtek(R) Audio)
Reco Engine Name: MS-1033-80-DESK
Reco Engine Description: Microsoft Speech Recognizer 8.0 for Windows (English - US)
Language: English (United States)
Grammar: StaticGrammar
Grammar Loaded: True
01/20/2022 12:18:54

Speech Recog Started
OnRecognitionCompleted - Listening
Handle Recognized Speech Started