Sign in to follow this  
UAL744

COVID-19 advice

37 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Simply because such a 'forbidden topic' would be impossible to enforce.

I am not aware of the post(s) to which you refer, I have to assume that a moderator made a decision that allowing those posts to remain in view would lead to a bar room fight. It is extremely difficult to be a volunteer moderator; we're regularly damned if we do or damned if we don't... <sigh>

The bar room fight is probably a good analogy. Most of us, including me, appreciate your and the other moderators' work. Now, with all bars closed.....:-)

Hans

7 hours ago, edpatino said:

Totally agree. This place should be exclusively dedicated to flightsimming, as for sure there are other places where everybody can talk exclusively about health (and the virus).

Cheers, Ed

Ever spend much time in a hangar? You know, sitting around on the creaking folding chairs and the old worn-out couch someone brought in. This is the hangar chat forum we're posting in here and I'll guarantee you there is a LOT of talk about the current virus situation in every aircraft hangar in the country............

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

6 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have been on a prescription of Vitamin D capsules (one per week) since breaking my hip six weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that, hope its healing okay.

9 hours ago, hjsmuc said:

Can someone politely explain to me why some Sars-Cov-2 (that's the name of the virus, not COVID-19, that's the illness it causes) posts are allowed on AVSIM and others are not? I would prefer to ban them all as they inevitably will contain contradicting information from conflicting sources thus having the potential to become political. You may argue that I don't have to read them but they will show up in the new topics list. I would like to see a few places on the Internet staying free of Corona (unless it's the beer).

You may prefer to ban them all, but then of course no one person can dictate what is debated here. Only the moderators have that power. The moderators will decide which posts relating to the crisis remain and which go. If you prefer not to read any posts relating to this, then simply refrain from clicking your mouse on the topic. There are many that are appreciating it being discussed here. 

As for "a few places staying free of Corona" you've already got that here on Avsim. Namely numerous other Avsim sub forums where not a word is mentioned about nCov.

Edited by martin-w

9 hours ago, edpatino said:

Totally agree. This place should be exclusively dedicated to flightsimming, as for sure there are other places where everybody can talk exclusively about health (and the virus).

Cheers, Ed

"Should be exclusively dedicated to flight sim". Why? Because you say it should? It's pretty easy to ignore the topics you arent interested in.

Do you know there are well over 100 sub forums here, and you object to just one that includes discussion not relating to flight sim.

Edited by martin-w

I think the best advice comes from official sources, not a flight sim forum.

David Porrett

I think that the views of informed individuals, untainted by the need to tune what is said to fit a purpose, are in fact far more valuable than some "official sources". A read of this and the other excellent topic would also have revealed many quotes from some very good official sources that some of us would never have found.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Nice to see that it went exactly the way I expected it to go. It was actually just a test. Worked well. Sincerely all the best for the health of all members, their friends and families. Let's enjoy our hobby and I will follow the advice to not click on the wrong topic again. 

Hans

Edit:  Just blowing off stream, trying not to freak out.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
Moving along...

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Face masks:

No. 2 on the list was criticized as giving a false sense of security. Everywhere I read says along with a mask you should also practice all other precautions. Including washing and sterilizing it everyday. It seems to me that even a bandanna is better than no mask. How much? Even a little might make the difference between your spreading and/or catching the virus, or not. False sense of security? Even a hazmat suit might not be enough. Common sense is what is called for. 

Guidelines change almost every day.

• Upvote 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

58 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Best advise:  Remove this topic ASAP!!!!  No armchair experts giving advise PLEASE!!!!!

At the risk of repeating:

I am dedicated to using FSX-Steam:  As such, I skip-over many Forum posts or questions that involve other flight sims or peripheral  apps. That is my choice.  So for anyone out there who annoyed by this topic, please be aware: I think this virus will drastically change the U.S. and most other countries of the world for many years to come.  So if this topic is not relevant to you, then just move on...    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, DavidP said:

I think the best advice comes from official sources, not a flight sim forum.

I wish that were actually true. If the world followed the "advice" coming from some governmental "official sources" we'd be in a far worse position to win this battle.

That said, it's encouraging that this disinformation is progressively being replaced with fact based information. There is some light at the end of this dark tunnel!

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 4/5/2020 at 6:09 AM, kevinfirth said:

I'd be a little concerned that the OPs advice would lead to people potentially exposing themselves or others to unnecessary risk if they followed it believing it to be able to provide them with any degree of protection.

Well, I used to think the same thing. The reason that health officials are recommending wearing some kind of cloth covering over your face is to protect others from being infected by someone nearby who is infected (perhaps asymptomacally and so is not aware). A quote from the AAAS Science magazine (28th March 2020):

“It’s really a perfectly good public health intervention that’s not used,” argues KK Cheng, a public health expert at the University of Birmingham. “It’s not to protect yourself. It’s to protect people against the droplets coming out of your respiratory tract.”

Cheng and others stress that however masks are used, people must practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. When people do venture out and interact, they’re likely to spew some saliva. “I don’t want to frighten you, but when people speak and breathe and sing—you don’t have to sneeze or cough—these droplets are coming out,” he says."

• Like 3

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

I wish that were actually true. If the world followed the "advice" coming from some governmental "official sources" we'd be in a far worse position to win this battle.

Or from so-called specialized agencies, like the WHO:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/world-health-coronavirus-disinformation-11586122093

(Regarding your post, many governments around the world, from all political spectrum, did the same errors, acted the same way, and contradicted themselves week after week).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]