Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Take a look at those gems - C47 and DC3

6 hours ago, Wothan said:

Regarding the Mixture levers, I have to defend AH on those.

I´m not sure how much they do to the engines management / simulating engine degradation.

As the former developer of the Aerosoft Catalina, I did the same to the mixture levers, though without any locking mechanism.

The reason is that by using xml for coding, features, like sparkplug fouling, carburator icing, engine power degradation etc.. the only option is to manipulate the fuel mixture.

In normal operation You can control the mixture according to the mixture lever setting, but You can also lean the mixture to the point where engine starts to run rough / loose power, without seeing this in the cockpit.

Caveat though is that it is best for the user not to assign any hardware lever to mixture settings, since with xml code the axis input would intervene with the code.

Good points - thanks for clarifying (and thanks for the Catalina - wonderful airplane, haven't flown it in too long).  Remind me, though - as I recall, controlling mixtures in the Catalina was a one-step process, wasn't it?  i.e. drag the mixture lever to the detent.  I do remember it as being easier to manage than the unlock-and-drag routine in the AH DC-3.

It could also be that they could make things easier by expanding the area of the clickspot so it's easier to grab in a hurry.

Or maybe it's something I'll get used to over time.

I can't fully speak for the programming, but as I understand it, Manfred's uses a sort of hybrid approach where the mixture lever snaps to a detent and produces the correct fuel/air ratio, but also has intermediate values outside those detents if you use hardware to move the lever to an intermediate position.  So the user has to engage in some willing suspension of disbelief and just avoid any settings outside of the detents.  In practice I never think about the intermediate setting.

But yes, there are others that use some form of custom coding, like the PMDG DC-6 and the A2A Constellation, where I've set up custom profiles in P3D that delete the hardware mixture axis so as not to interfere with the coding. 

I'll probably do the same here once I can get my startup issues worked out.

For anybody else that's been having startup issues, I wanted to report on one discovery.  I'd bought the complete bundle, and this afternoon had time to try something I should have tried earlier - I loaded up the C-47 and tried to start it.  It worked perfectly.  Then back to the DC-3 and ran into all the same startup problems I'd been having.

My startup procedures were identical between the two.

Offering that up in case it gives anybody any clues as to what the cause of the startup problems might be.

Wanted to revive this thread to report that after going a couple of rounds with the Aeroplane Heaven help desk, and getting an assist from Barry, my startup issues are fixed.  It took a lot of work to figure out, but apparently there were a couple of lines about generator parameters that were present in the C-47 but not in the DC-3.  A fix via an init file was the answer, and my DC-3s are now starting reliably.  AH tells me the fix will be included in the next update.

I'm only now getting acquainted with the airplane - all I've been doing 'til now was startup routines.  So more on that later.  But if you've been struggling with DC-3 engine starts, I wanted to pass this along  Hope it gets you the same results when it arrives.

Edited by Alan_A
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update, I was wondering if there was a fix on the way before I buy the DC-3.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Thanks for the update, I was wondering if there was a fix on the way before I buy the DC-3.

Probably worth waiting for the fix, just in case you have this problem - some people don't, it's more than system-specific but less than universal.

I'm hopeful that I'll take a liking to it - since it's a new product, it stands a better chance of getting into new sims, and I'd like to have a DC-3 to take with me into the future.

Again, more to follow when I've had a couple of flights in it.  But the trend is good.

• Like 2

Hi guys, quick question regarding the blower operation in the DC-3. I am used to their operation thanks to the A2A Connie. I turn them on as soon as my engines are unable to hold 42 MP climb power as per AH manual, which is usually around 6000ft.This is also done according to AH manual. However, at some point during cruise / climb, approximately around 12500 ft or about 20 min after I switched them on, they seem to "fail", and I'm left without them for the rest of my flight. This proved tricky when flying above high terrain as I was unable to climb higher. Is this some kind of failure or bug ? If it is a failure, what could be that I do wrong ?

Any input appreciated 🙂

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

The update to version 1.2 of the Aeroplane Heaven DC-3 is a big step forward. The engines can be started properly. Good news.

Maybe someone can help me wirth the GTN suite. I have installed the F1 GTN serie and located the DC-3. But the GTN suite remains blank. I hope I miss something small...

Another question, I see no rain effect on my windows, there should be, right? Or do I miss somthing.

15 hours ago, David Keff said:

Another question, I see no rain effect on my windows, there should be, right? Or do I miss somthing.

David, you can turn it on, see this answer http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/119098-Aeroplane-Heaven-C-47-DC-3-is-out!?p=1225869&viewfull=1#post1225869 .

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

On 5/25/2020 at 4:32 PM, TopGun33 said:

Hi guys, quick question regarding the blower operation in the DC-3. I am used to their operation thanks to the A2A Connie. I turn them on as soon as my engines are unable to hold 42 MP climb power as per AH manual, which is usually around 6000ft.This is also done according to AH manual. However, at some point during cruise / climb, approximately around 12500 ft or about 20 min after I switched them on, they seem to "fail", and I'm left without them for the rest of my flight. This proved tricky when flying above high terrain as I was unable to climb higher. Is this some kind of failure or bug ? If it is a failure, what could be that I do wrong ?

Any input appreciated 🙂

I noticed the same. After about 20-25 minutes in flight. I was using settings about 30 Mp and 23 RPM and Hi Blow at 14.000 ft, cruise flight. After 20 Minutes it stopped to work, any idea why, did you find solution or its a bug?

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

This is the new model in 1.3 - ViewMaster:

aOm7J3L.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif