Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Virgin Medai Superhub 2 Wi-Fi to Windows 7 PC

Currently have a Virgin Media's broadband Superhub2 Ethernet cable wired into my desktop PC running Windows 10 x64 Pro. latest Build. Am trying to connect wirelessly to a Windows 7 x64 Pro running on a much older AMD Athlon XP2400+ PC in another room.

Have an EDUP Wireless USB Adaptor 54M plugged in to a USB port, and also have the correct driver installed from the mini-CD that came with the Adaptor, but despite keying the correct Wi-Fi security password,  and despite that EDUP adaptor picking up several nearby Virgin Media networks in the vicinity, it will just not connect wirelessly to my network.

Any clues or help as to why, please.

Bump? Guess, I am in the wrong place because I was fairly certain that with the Internet and Wi-Fi wizards we have here, somebody might have been able to clue me up?

Have you checked to make sure wireless is activated ?

can you connect to it on your phone?

is there a Wps button on your hub ? Press it and then try pairing.

does it have a wireless symbol, and is it lit?

Luke Pype

Thanks, Luke, at last a helpful reply.

Re: the Superhub2, I can access it no issues to check its settings and Wi-Fi. It also connects no problems, whatsoever wirelessly to my 3 smartphones. It's just that Windows XP x64 Pro that cannot connect, despite the USB dongle showing up in Device Manager as installed correctly.

in device manager  double click the dongle , properties, and see if you have the option to enable it.

if the option is not there it’s enabled. Disconnect some other devices connected to the wireless to make sure it’s not a - amount of devices connected issue. 

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype

3 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

in device manager  double click the dongle , properties, and see if you have the option to enable it.

if the option is not there it’s enabled. Disconnect some other devices connected to the wireless to make sure it’s not a - amount of devices connected issue. Could also try running the dongle on a powered usb if you have one about

Luke Pype

19 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

if the option is not there it’s enabled. Disconnect some other devices connected to the wireless to make sure it’s not a - amount of devices connected issue. 

I only have one singular smartphone connected through that Superhub2Wi-Fi. So,just to make sure I follow your suggestion,correctly, are you saying switch off the smartphone then try that USB dongle after I have carried out that enabled check in Device Manager?

can’t be a amount of devices connected issue then.

yes try the enable thing. I’ve read there could also be issues if the usb can’t give it enough power, but when used with a powered usb hub it resolved it.

Do you have one laying around to try?

seems strange it picks up others but not yours.., witch would say the dongle is operating correctly 

...you could try powering down / restarting the hub also, just to take that out of the equation.

you didn’t answer wether your hub has a “WPS” or “WPS Pair” button.

Luke Pype

2 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Do you have one laying around to try?

Yes, I do, a 7-port powered USB hub

you didn’t answer wether your hub has a “WPS” or “WPS Pair” button.

Will check tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks for your help to date

EDIT: Just checked. It has a WPS button only,  right at the bottom

Edited by vc10man

Did everything you suggested, still cannot connect despite re-entering the Wi-Fi password, despite the dongle detecting other adjacent wireless networks.

So, am a bit lost where to go next.

Ok, last option is to try the Wps method.

press the button and see if that makes your network visible to connect to. Otherwise you may need to call virgin. 
might be worth letting them know your using a pretty old hub.  

Luke Pype

Tried that WPS method as you so kindly suggester. On the front of the Superhub, at the bottom, pressed and held that WPS button for 20-30 seconds, which caused my Windows 10 pc to show me the login page, but as I was already logged-in, it disappeared instantly. And on the XP pc, it asked me for the Wi-Fi password when I saw my VM network show up, and pressed Connect. Then it went through the 'Acquiring IP Address' bit, but eventually, the taskbar icon still shows a red X

also, can you just press and let go rather than hold the button in, does this change anything in regard to what lights up on your hub?

No, the lights stopped flashing while I held teh WPS button held in, then when I released, went back to usual flashing.

Thanks for the link. Will give it a go.