Sign in to follow this  
wildtomcat

Simmarket free April,6th: Lanseria/South Africa

7 hours ago, rightseat said:

Watch out for springbok on the runway!

😃 I live near Lanseria and there are definitely no springbok on the runway, lol. However, there is a large government irrigation project called "Northern Farms" on the eastern border of the airfield, which is quite lush and open for mountain biking. I have seen fish-eagle, monitor lizard, monkeys and a cobra snake there. There was even a solitary hippo that occupied one of the many dams (about the surface area of four or five large hangars) for a few months, but it disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.

If you travel 18km (11 miles) west from Lanseria you will find the rhino and lion park, and yes there are real lions, rhino, cheetah, wild dog, vultures and lots of other game. There are several other private game farms in the area, but the animals are contained behind high double-fences and never make it to Lanseria runway. But you can conjure up your own flying adventure I guess, you are more likely to get a springbok here than most other places.

Edited by rooitou
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

15 hours ago, rooitou said:

😃 I live near Lanseria and there are definitely no springbok on the runway, lol. However, there is a large government irrigation project called "Northern Farms" on the eastern border of the airfield, which is quite lush and open for mountain biking. I have seen fish-eagle, monitor lizard, monkeys and a cobra snake there. There was even a solitary hippo that occupied one of the many dams (about the surface area of four or five large hangars) for a few months, but it disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared.

If you travel 18km (11 miles) west from Lanseria you will find the rhino and lion park, and yes there are real lions, rhino, cheetah, wild dog, vultures and lots of other game. There are several other private game farms in the area, but the animals are contained behind high double-fences and never make it to Lanseria runway. But you can conjure up your own flying adventure I guess, you are more likely to get a springbok here than most other places.

I confess I am word not allowed of the Sprinbok's territory, but I enjoyed the details of your reply. 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 1:13 AM, rightseat said:

I confess I am word not allowed of the Sprinbok's territory, but I enjoyed the details of your reply. 🙂

Thanks rightseat, my reply was tongue-in-cheek of course, as was your original comment I guess, but also to provide food for people's imagination when they fly the scenery.

Looking forward to ORBX doing some South African airfields, many of which would require new wild animals added to their scenery and object-low libraries.

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

On 4/8/2020 at 2:14 AM, rooitou said:

Thanks rightseat, my reply was tongue-in-cheek of course, as was your original comment I guess, but also to provide food for people's imagination when they fly the scenery.

Looking forward to ORBX doing some South African airfields, many of which would require new wild animals added to their scenery and object-low libraries.

You bet! All good fun! 🙂