Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Swapping out 11.41 water files, with 11.50's...

Well, I guess we all can agree that 11.50's water renderings is much superior to 11.41 and previous.   Has anybody tried swapping out...(importing 11.50's water files) 11.50's into 11.41?

I certainly would like to do that...and hope the are not a 'Vulcan' only thing....

Ben has confirmed that he changed something about the water - but I have no idea if that change was to the textures, the way it renders, the shaders or other things.

Good luck swapping out the "water files" - just make sure you have a solid and safe backup copy of X-Plane stashed away!

Cheers, Jan

1 hour ago, Janov said:

Ben has confirmed that he changed something about the water - but I have no idea if that change was to the textures, the way it renders, the shaders or other things.

Good luck swapping out the "water files" - just make sure you have a solid and safe backup copy of X-Plane stashed away!

Cheers, Jan

I spent the last hour trying...and no go....it's more than just the WORLD folder files.  So...you want the water of .50...you fly .50, lol!

• Like 1

Can you provide some screenshots on the same spot, with the same light, with the same weather so i can see for myself?

Vulkan for me is a black screen so i can't do the comparison myself.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

So much time as passed since XP10. The water rendering technique used in 11.50 is exactly the one that was used in XP10 (when they will have fixed one slight bug related to wave height). A welcome regression.

As the railroad tracks get closer and closer, you welcome regression.

• Like 1

If the water has indeed gone back to XP10, then this is a welcome change. As bad as it was in XP10, XP11's water was much worse

17 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

Vulkan for me is a black screen

Do you happen to have 2 video cards installed?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Do you happen to have 2 video cards installed?

Nah Carlos, it's happening for those with just one GPU as well. If you check the blog post comment section there are tons of people with this issue, and most seem to have a card of the 700-900 series 🙂

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

On 4/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Pastaiolo said:

Can you provide some screenshots on the same spot, with the same light, with the same weather so i can see for myself?

Vulkan for me is a black screen so i can't do the comparison myself.

I could...but you lose so much in the upload compression and so...it truly is more noticeable on your own screen...trying both out...seeing the wave action, the shaders in play...the sparkle of sunlight handled differently on the water surface...truly, static pictures wouldn't do the difference justice. It has to be live, on-screen....

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

If the water has indeed gone back to XP10, then this is a welcome change. As bad as it was in XP10, XP11's water was much worse

I agree.  Whatever it is...it would be great to see the difference in 11.41, if someone smarter than me, can figure out how to do that.....

5 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

Nah Carlos, it's happening for those with just one GPU as well. If you check the blog post comment section there are tons of people with this issue, and most seem to have a card of the 700-900 series 🙂

I see, haven't had a single issue since I disabled mine.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

On 4/7/2020 at 2:48 PM, tonywob said:

XP11's water was passable if you knew the right datarefs and how to manipulate them.

Heck, I even made it react dynamically to wave height and speed.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days