Sign in to follow this  
Lucas777

Saitek throttle quadrant potentiometers replacements

Well, I've finally installed an AS5600 magnetic sensor into Saitek throttle. A small round magnet (approximately the diameter of a lever bearing which was cut flush with the lever body) was super-glued to the lever, working as a new bearing. A small circular PCB with AS5600 was hot-glued in place of a stock resistor as seen on the picture. Then AS5600 was calibrated to provide a full output voltage swing within a lever movement angle. Of course it works like a charm, as expected. The trick is to find a a magnet with the appropriate diameter (I had one as a leftover from one of the old projects).

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/4zgXmzfN1t6ogg

On 6/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, SergeyPe said:

Well, I've finally installed an AS5600 magnetic sensor into Saitek throttle. A small round magnet (approximately the diameter of a lever bearing which was cut flush with the lever body) was super-glued to the lever, working as a new bearing. A small circular PCB with AS5600 was hot-glued in place of a stock resistor as seen on the picture. Then AS5600 was calibrated to provide a full output voltage swing within a lever movement angle. Of course it works like a charm, as expected. The trick is to find a a magnet with the appropriate diameter (I had one as a leftover from one of the old projects).

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/4zgXmzfN1t6ogg

Do you have a photo of the magnet mounter inside? What magned dimensions are you used exactly? Thanks

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

10 hours ago, Roman Design said:

Do you have a photo of the magnet mounter inside? What magned dimensions are you used exactly?

I didn't make the detailed photos when upgrading my device. But as another one is currently in progress I'll make some- in a day or two. Actually, the process is pretty simple and requires just a bit of patience.

The magnet dimensions are 5 mm diameter, 2 or 2.5 mm height. Make sure that it's diametrically magnetized (not axially, as most of the widely available magnets), otherwise the sensor won't work; the proper ones are available here. You might need to widen the hole for the magnet under the sensor with a round file just a little bit, but do not make the hole too big, otherwise the lever will have an additional "play" in the bearing.

8 hours ago, SergeyPe said:

I didn't make the detailed photos when upgrading my device. But as another one is currently in progress I'll make some- in a day or two. Actually, the process is pretty simple and requires just a bit of patience.

The magnet dimensions are 5 mm diameter, 2 or 2.5 mm height. Make sure that it's diametrically magnetized (not axially, as most of the widely available magnets), otherwise the sensor won't work; the proper ones are available here. You might need to widen the hole for the magnet under the sensor with a round file just a little bit, but do not make the hole too big, otherwise the lever will have an additional "play" in the bearing.

Спасибо!

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Hi Sergey and thank you for sharing your experience. 

Something is not clear to me:  since the magnet is diametrically magnetized, I would think its orientation with respect to the fixed sensor (i.e. as you glue it on the lever) is critical so that the min and max lever positions can be identified. Is the N-S axis marked on the magnet? Or does the calibration take care of that?

Thanks

Hi Jetlag; you are welcome.

7 hours ago, jetlag said:

Or does the calibration take care of that?

Exactly. AS5600's "raw" angle is 360 degrees and then during the calibration it's adjusted to the actual travel angle, no matter what the position of the magnet is. So you don't need to make any magnet position adjustment.