Sign in to follow this  
mgr

P3D -> Cold and dark (what am i missing)

Hiya,

So far i usually start the plane after selecting it from the menu or use simply CTRL+E to start the engine.
So far so good...

Let's do it a bit more realistic, let's use the cold and dark option and get the plane started.
There the problems begin, think i'm forgetting a step, yet which one??

1. Turned on the bat
2. Avionics on
3. Turn on the starter
4. When at 12-15 PSI turn on conditional level to "ground idle"
Normally now the engine will kick in you hear the startup of the engine and warning sound, this does not happen and you hear startup whine in a loop...

Which step do i forget?  🤔

Any pointers?

Thx,

Marcel

Is the ignition ON?

Actually, the avionics is only switched on after the engine start. But  in order to show to any other airplane crew nearby you should also switch on the beacon prior to engine start.

Edited by Flyfox

Felix

Another one is the fuel. Depending on the previous loaded aircraft/situation it's possible the fuel valve is still closed. 

You might take a look at the PC12 Normal Procedures checklists. If you're using P3D they should be at C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Carenado\PC12  

| i5 7400@3GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | 1TB HDD | Saitek X52 Pro |

Hi All,

I did follow the complete checklist, the result is the same. The engine will not start hear only the starter sound in a loop.
If i press CTRL-E at this time, the engine fires yet see no changes in buttons etc...

Oh, i use Bert's mod's, don't know if they change anything to the "cold and dark" status panel from Carenado?

Still confused...

Marcel

What's your default situation and aircraft?  Just for testing I suggest to load a situation with a default aircraft with the engine running and switch to the PC-12.

Then select the cold & dark option.

19 hours ago, Flyfox said:

Is the ignition ON?

A big DUH moment, was expecting that in the "AUTO" setting of the ignition was also working, it appears not...
So if i turn the ignition from "Auto" to "ON" the engine will start.

Now i'm also confused, this item is not on any of the real-life checklist i have...

On the Carenado proved checklist i see:

Step: 12  Turn the Ignition on "Auto"

There after it's not mentioned...

Makes me wonder.. 🧐

• Which checklist do you guys use?
  • Do you guys use the "cold and dark" option of the Carenado gauge (SHIFT+7)?

Kind regards,

Marcel

Edited by mgr

No reason to be confused. That's in inaccuracy in the sim.  IRL the ignition is only switched ON in heavy precipitation. 

26 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

No reason to be confused. That's in inaccuracy in the sim.  IRL the ignition is only switched ON in heavy precipitation. 

Maybe Bert can fix it? 😉

Marcel

PS
Happy now, that i know what to do and get the Pc-12 start from cold and dark.

Fixed it ;-)  just copied the "ignition-line" from "Ready to taxi" mode to "Cold and dark" mode..

StartWindowsAircraftV4.xml

Change line 141:
0 (>L:ASD_BTN_PC12_IGNITION,number) (A:TURB ENG IGNITION SWITCH:1,BOOL) 1 == if{ (>K:TURBINE_IGNITION_SWITCH_TOGGLE) } }

Into:
0 (>L:ASD_BTN_PC12_IGNITION,number) (A:TURB ENG IGNITION SWITCH:1,BOOL) 0 == if{ (>K:TURBINE_IGNITION_SWITCH_TOGGLE) } }

Cheers,

Marcel

• Upvote 1

Impressive. 👍  I've never even looked at these files, let alone worked with them.  Stupid question, does the ignition switch move to ON in this case in the cold & dark setup?

6 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Impressive. 👍  I've never even looked at these files, let alone worked with them.  Stupid question, does the ignition switch move to ON in this case in the cold & dark setup?

Strangely enough:  NO
- When selecting "Taxi mode" from "cold and dark" the switch goes only from "off"  to "auto"
- So it seems these codes "do something under water" that also is triggered by putting the ignition to "on"

Marcel

Old XML: The "tool-tip" shows "AUTO" while the switch itselve is in "AUTO"  -> Seems to mean it's OFF

New XML: The "tool-tip" shows "ON" while the switch itselve is in "AUTO"  -> Seems to mean it's ON

Edited by mgr