Sign in to follow this  
AndreaG

Where are internal GTN650 Flight Plans stored?

Hi all,

I am aware about the lack of the cross-fill feature on the GTN650/750, as well as of the option of using a previously stored FPLAN (.gfp), created with some external software, to get the same flight plan on a dual set-up.

My question is about flight plans created directly from one the two GTN650s, running (for example) in my wonderful A2A A35 (FSX):  where are they stored (on the local drive)? And in which format?

Details: I create a new route in the master unit, and from this moment on this new route shows up in the master unit catalog... but not in the other one!

I searched for recently saved/updated files on my drive, but didn't find anything... the intention was obviously to copy/paste the file in some appropriate folder

Any hints? Can this be a way to exchange routes between the two units without making use of any external software? This is not laziness... 😉 in real life, I program the GTNs directly during the engine warm-up  

Thanks - and sorry if the answer is already lying somewhere in this forum (I did spend quite a lot of time searching, but couldn't find anything concerning this question specifically)

Blue skies!

Andrea

Edited by AndreaG
Tags added

Here is where to look (see below). Note the file path on my system in the blue bar.  Then note the sys_nand? files.  There will be one for each gauge.  With RXP as you know, you have (2) instances of each model.  In my file structure I have (4) of the sys_nand? files, e, f, i, j.  One each for the 650_1 and _2, and one each for the 750_1 and _2.  This is the way the Garmin Trainer stores data.  Note that all of the files are of the same size.  Normally the tow file dates are also the same for the 650's and the same for the 750's.  I have not looked at these in a while, so cannot explain the filedate difference between the e &f.  I believe e & f are the two 650's and i & j the 750's.  I saw the lettering sequence somewhere but at this moment cannot point you to it to confirm. 

Used to be with the separate GNS gauges you could make a backup of the file for _2 and then make a copy of the file for _1 and rename it to match the _2 name.  That would place the stored flight plans into both gauges.  That may have been when the RXP GNS gauges were V1.  I believe it was with the GNS v2 that crossfill came along, or that may have been a feature of the V1 enhanced package that in those days provided the second gauge instance (forgot the actual name of that package).

I have not tried backing up a GTN _2 sys_nand? file and replacing it with a copy of the _1 file, but if you take cautions to backup the original you can certainly try that.

Importing .gfp files is the other option, but you need to create them externally with a flight planner or flight planing web site.  Even then the Garmin import feature has a number of "gate keepers" that guard against importing a .gfp file that does not exactly meet stringent specifications and does not use any waypoints that have duplicate names in the Garmin database (there are more than you could imagine).  There are topics in this forum you can read about that.  For importing the best method is to create simple flight plans and once imported add the sophistication such as departures, transitions, arrivals, approaches, and runways from inside the gauge itself..

image.png.a4b5bca6fad71ebe2906869b24dc6cc3.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

21 hours ago, AndreaG said:

Thanks Frank, just tried it (not extensively yet) and it works!

Great!  Enjoy!  

I store a different set of flight plans in each of the GTN's, _1 & _2.  I have the _1 installed in my GA that fly higher, faster, longer. Thus longer distance flight plans.  Aircraft like the RealAir Turbine Duke v2, Carenado C90, HondaJet, Milviz B55 Baron, Milviz Cessna 310etc.  With the _2 I store shorter, lower, slower flight plans for the A2A Cessna 182, Money 201, Bonanza, C337 etc. 

I do augment that a bit with some plans in each based on the two primary airports I fly from, one on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and the other in S.Central Indiana.

In panels where I have a pair of GTN's I use one to follow the flight plan and the other for NAV 2, COM2, traffic, etc.  I also vary the user fields that appear in the 4 corners of the screens.  In those panels with (2) GTN's rarely do I display the same flight plans in both.  Just my implementation strategy.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 hours ago, fppilot said:

In panels where I have a pair of GTN's I use one to follow the flight plan and the other for NAV 2, COM2, traffic, etc.  I also vary the user fields that appear in the 4 corners of the screens.  In those panels with (2) GTN's rarely do I display the same flight plans in both.  Just my implementation strategy.

I see... it makes sense anyway - hoping that cross-fill will be available sooner or later

On 4/6/2020 at 10:10 PM, fppilot said:

I saw the lettering sequence somewhere but at this moment cannot point you to it to confirm. 

You can find this information in the RXP Manual in the section about: "Device Embedded Memory"

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)