Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

The cache

I went to Adrien's video post on You Tube to get a better understanding on how the cache works as he says in the video that one cannot select a specific area to fill it in advance. 

His reply in the comments  comes as this (translation by me) : The cache is a storage somewhat special, once full, it clears out what is older to add something newer. It the game/simulator which manages it (it is a big file).  Roughly speaking, everywhere  you fly, it downloads the sat maps  and instead of clearing them out, puts them into the cache. Then the next time you fly again at the same place, it has not to look for the map on the internet but in the cache.  This why I say that I'd like to force the download of a zone without needing to fly there (this functionality may come later).

In a nutshell you have to fly first somewhere before using the cache. You can't download for instance the map of Corsica during your sleep with your lousy connection and then play with it the next day. Not exactly what I had understood so far from Asobo's video (maybe wishful thinking from my part) and useful only for people with a cap on a fast connection.

If anything, I hope to see  that the final release will allow the download of regions or routes, outside the sim for bandwidth challenged simmers.A major issue.

PS In French for the record : Le cache est un fichier un peu spécial, une fois remplis, il efface le plus ancien (carte) pour ajouté le plus récent. c'est le jeux/simulateur qui gère ce cache (c'est un gros fichier). En gros partout ou vous volé, il télécharge les cartes satellite, aux lieu de les effacés, il les met en cache. ce qui fait que la prochaine fois que vous re-volé aux même endroit il n'ira pas cherché la carte sur internet, mais dans le cache. C'est pour ca aussi que je dit que j'aimerais bien forcé le téléchargement d'une zone sans avoir besoin d'allez volé (cette fonction arrivera sans doute plus tard). Sinon je serait curieux de voir Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 dans un de vos A320 (une fois l'A320 ajouté aux simulateur) 😉

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I can only assume that selective download/store hasn't been implemented yet. It was mentioned as a feature... :ohmy:

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

47 minutes ago, n4gix said:

It was mentioned as a feature...

It was, and, IIRC, for the first time during the global preview event as one of the three ways of running the scenery. Most likely just not there yet, just as the offline mode.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

We’re early in the Alpha process, so I wouldn’t take a missing feature as an indication that it won’t exist at launch.

• Upvote 1

Also, I don't know if this was mentioned in one of the translation notes (in the other thread) but he kind of mentioned,  if I remember, that one can choose the (Bing) imagery Zoom level / Quality. Maybe this could influence the cashing process or he means a graphic setting...

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

56 minutes ago, Hyperfocal said:

We’re early in the Alpha process, so I wouldn’t take a missing feature as an indication that it won’t exist at launch.

We are not early in the alpha anymore.  They are deep in it. And Adrien nor me don’t say that it won’t come later on. He actually say exactly that, that it may come later. 

On the other hand,  this forum has always played the ball that was kicked in by Asobo in June last. To give them feedbacks. To interact. The absence of a pre-downloading function into the cache, outside of the running sim, would be a black eye. Should be said. 

@ClaviateurI didn’t hear that.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

This is an Alpha leak...   Officially they have said you can pre-cache areas. This is just one example.

"Neumann: -And as you said, there is also the possibility of downloading a particular area beforehand, if you fly there often, so you do not need a large bandwidth to have the full level of detail in that area." 

I will listen to the majority here. Some hope can’t hurt anyway 😃

Dominique

2 hours ago, domkle said:

at 14:55 😉

"on peut choisir la qualité des données satellite"

"We can choose the quality of satellite data" while he was talking about the cache.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 1

Missed it, thanks.

Dominique

3 hours ago, domkle said:

I listened again to this portion and my mistake, I was sleepy last night, you are right, he just seems  suggesting to have the choice of imagery resolution I suppose. So it's not a feature but a suggestion he is making I think.

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Another question I had, as the youtube French to English translation wan't fully clear - is the path to the cache location editable?  For example if you wanted to place the cache on a network device like a NAS or other PC with much higher storage capacity, can you do that?  Or does the cache have to be in local storage, and in particular on the same drive as the MSFS install?

Apologies if this has been answered already 🙂

The New XBOX Series X has a better cache 10x faster for loading according to reports, it may not need to download scenery.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 hours ago, Subs said:

Another question I had, as the youtube French to English translation wan't fully clear - is the path to the cache location editable?  For example if you wanted to place the cache on a network device like a NAS or other PC with much higher storage capacity, can you do that?  Or does the cache have to be in local storage, and in particular on the same drive as the MSFS install?

Apologies if this has been answered already 🙂

He says that FS20 has three components : a launcher, the sim itself and the cache. Each can be on a different drive. He doesn’t say whether the cache could be networked, only that you can define size you want.

Dominique

I hope we can lock certain areas, so they aren't dumped as oldest.  For example my home area and airport I want to keep cached all the time.