Sign in to follow this  
fishn_cpa

transferring a storage SSD from old rig to new rig issue

I have a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage SSD on my old rig (Windows 7) and wanted to transfer it to my new rig (Windows 10) as additional storage. At the same time I purchased an additional brand new 2TB SSD to add as well. The new 2TB drive was recognized by the bios and i added the drive as normal through the disk management tool. That worked flawless. However the old 1TB drive does not show up in the bios. I tried different cables, different sata ports, different power cable. Nothing. Thought maybe the drive went bad when I swapped it out so put it back in old PC and it works fine yet. I formatted the drive (quick format) on the old PC but no change. Bios on the new PC will not pick it up. Is this a Windows 7 to Windows 10 formatting issue? New PC bios issue (new SSD drive was picked up right away though). Any ideas?

Google is quite helpful with this.  Google  'win 10 won't recognise ssd'. It seems to be a common issue, There are also youtube videos with solutions.

John B

I agree there is a lot out there on google but all of them address the issue when win 10 doesn’t recognize the drive and you have to go into device manager and add it. My issue is the bios does not recognize it at all. Shows nothing connected to the sata port on my motherboard when in fact it is connected properly. So as a result device manager in win 10 shows nothing. 

Very strange.   I think the formatting should not have any effect on the BIOS recognition of a drive.

You may have tried this, but if you disconnect the new drive from the mboard sata socket and plug in the older drive as the only one, and restart, is it recognised then by the BIOS?    If it is, what happens when you add the newer drive as well.

Also try changing the SATA mode in BIOS between ahci and ide to see if that allows it to be recognised.

Edited by Biggles2010

John B

I went thru this same dance with a 500GB samsung SSD about 16 months ago. A brand spanking new Asus z390 (or is it 390z) motherboard would not recognize the Samsung, but would recognize a Sandisk 1TB and Crucial 500GB.

After wasting way too much time on BIOS settings, cables, PSUs, I bought another 1TB Sandisk and gave the Samsung to my son. Sometimes when you find yourself in a hole it's best to stop digging.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

51 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

Very strange.   I think the formatting should not have any effect on the BIOS recognition of a drive.

You may have tried this, but if you disconnect the new drive from the mboard sata socket and plug in the older drive as the only one, and restart, is it recognised then by the BIOS?    If it is, what happens when you add the newer drive as well.

Also try changing the SATA mode in BIOS between ahci and ide to see if that allows it to be recognised.

Resolved. I tried your suggestion of disconnecting the new SSD and just connected the old one and it didn't recognize any drives. So I connected the old drive using the same cables (and sata port) and it recognized the old drive. So not a SSD issue at all a port problem(?). In order to get both to be recognized I had to use a different sata port. #5 and #6 slots (both) don't work for some unknown reason. A new build so hard to believe faulty but who knows. Anyway they both are now working so thanks! I was about to give up and just buy another drive like Twenty6 suggested...  

Glad you got it sorted, and avoided more cost.

You may find something about port priorities to use, or combinations which won't work, buried in the m'board handbook, if they still supply one. But that usually applies when using M2 slots. In any case I find the information supplied with boards can be incomplete, badly described or poorly translated, These things should be less frustrating than they sometimes are.

John B

14 hours ago, fishn_cpa said:

In order to get both to be recognized I had to use a different sata port. #5 and #6 slots (both) don't work for some unknown reason.

I sent you a PM, but posted here in case it's useful for someone else.

I just remembered that on one of my builds, using a Gigabyte m'board, the Sata ports were in 2 adjacent blocks, with 4 ports controlled directly by the chipset and the second group of SATA ports controlled by a seperate Marvell chip. As ports 5 & 6 were the problem, is it possible your board has some similar arrangement. If so, there may be a BIOS setting to enable it, probably only visible if you select the 'Expert' view of the BIOS, since most open in a simplified state.

Edited by Biggles2010

John B

3 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

I sent you a PM, but posted here in case it's useful for someone else.

I just remembered that on one of my builds, using a Gigabyte m'board, the Sata ports were in 2 adjacent blocks, with 4 ports controlled directly by the chipset and the second group of SATA ports controlled by a seperate Marvell chip. As ports 5 & 6 were the problem, is it possible your board has some similar arrangement. If so, there may be a BIOS setting to enable it, probably only visible if you select the 'Expert' view of the BIOS, since most open in a simplified state.

(Just to document in case others in the future have the same issue) I read that same thing somewhere and thought it might be the case, but the MSI MPG2390 doesn't appear to be set up that way. However after your previous post yesterday I dug out the MB manual and actually read it and there it was exactly as you said - I have two M.2 PCIe SSD's also installed on the MB and in that configuration the #5 and #6 are not available. In different configurations and different M.2 drives the ports that turn off vary (some config's turn off #2 and #5 and some turn off just #5 depending on what you have). Bottom line is read the MB manual... Thanks again. 

Good news then, and thanks for letting me know. It's always nice to identify the exact cause, so you know it's not some hidden fault waiting to resurface.

How many times have we all assembled things without reading the manual. 🤨

John B