Sign in to follow this  
anitelite

installation trouble on 64 bit windows 10

Hello Everyone

So...when the SSD drives finally got right on the price, I decided to do a new clean install of windows 10 64 bit.  After loading all the drivers and updates and running in and out of the system for a couple of days, I pulled out my three DVD "Gold" FSX set and tried to install FSX.  All is well until the screen reads "removing applications"  It gets about 5 "progress blocks"  displayed and then just hangs there.  If you restart and try to reload you get an error.  I've wiped the drive 3 times and each time on installation, I get the same issue.   Is there a known workaround or simple solution for this ?

Jim

Not entirely sure, 

Are you admin on your system?

are you installing as admin?

try installing into <Drive>\FSX instead of program files. 

Luke Pype

How long do you let it run before you give up?  I have heard that some folks have let it run for several hours and it finally completes.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the quick replies !  I'll try the admin, alt location and see how that does.  Then if hangs again, I'll just sit tight for 15 minutes or so and see what happens.

Jim

There is always FSX Steam Edition, which tends to place nice with versions of Windows newer than Windows XP.  FSX Steam Edition also has some bug fixes that are not available to boxed versions FSX and the Steam Edition manages its RAM use better than the boxed versions of FSX.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Posted just now · Hidden
  On 4/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, anitelite said:

Hi Folks...

I just posted this a second time with the "notify me" button pressed.  I hope I can get a response.

Thanks it advance...

Rodg

On 4/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, anitelite said:

Hello,

I have the same problem as Jim below.  I've tried the installation process a number of times and most of the time I get stuck on the same window "removing applications".  It gets to this step and just stops.  I've waited a very long time (10 minutes or more) and it just dosen't move ahead.  I'm running as administrator.  As stated, I've run the installation process a few times.  Some of the time I will get the error message "Install Shield 1607 Unable to install.  InstallShield Scripting Runtime".  I don't know what to do... I love this program, but I just can't get it to run under Windows 10.   Any advice?

"Hello Everyone

So...when the SSD drives finally got right on the price, I decided to do a new clean install of windows 10 64 bit.  After loading all the drivers and updates and running in and out of the system for a couple of days, I pulled out my three DVD "Gold" FSX set and tried to install FSX.  All is well until the screen reads "removing applications"  It gets about 5 "progress blocks"  displayed and then just hangs there.  If you restart and try to reload you get an error.  I've wiped the drive 3 times and each time on installation, I get the same issue.   Is there a known workaround or simple solution for this ?"

Jim

Folks...

I found the answer to my question... You just wait for the damned thing to complete it's search.  I know this takes an inordinate amount of time, but that's the way it is.  In my case, I'm running a new windows 7 laptop, so it took just a bit less than 10 minutes.  I couldn't believe it myself, so I actually uninstalled the program and reinstalled it.  Same thing both times; it takes a long time.

Hopefully, I was able to help some of you folks.