Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New P3D v5 trailer

Is up at fselite now. It's brief, but is it just me or does it seem very "meh" as a trailer when compared to all the MSFS 2020? I wanted to be excited but it seemed somehow a very bland video, an improvement yes, but either it didn't showcase the improvements well or...the improvements are incremental compared to the paradigm shift coming in MSFS 2020.

What do you guys think?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

It honestly looks very similar to what I’ve already been able to achieve. However the performance is what I’m most intrigued about. 

• Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

It's definitely not as earth shattering as MSFS, but the few things i noticed (particularly volumetric clouds and sloped runways) are BIG things.

• Like 1

Colours and contrast seemed quite bland in the video...everything seemed gray and bluish gray. I know there are shader programs but if it is new lighting engine, it somehow seemed very "stock p3d".

• Like 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Pretty good list of enhancements and improvements. https://prepar3d.com/home-slider/2020/04/115906/

Question for me will be third party compatibility timeline vs MS2020 timeline.  If v4.5 third party scenery and aircraft addons are made v5 compatible in the near term, I'd definitely upgrade even though I fully expect to buy MSFS2020 as well whenever it becomes available.

DX12 is probably worth the upgrade on its own...

• Like 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

10 minutes ago, nikita said:

It's definitely not as earth shattering as MSFS, but the few things i noticed (particularly volumetric clouds and sloped runways) are BIG things.

I dunno....looks the same/same...compared to what MS2020 is displaying as bringing to the Flight Sim Table....this sim still pretty much looks synthetic, and lost and trapped,  in the year 2012.  For myself...after viewing this v5.0...I'm going to pass,  enjoy my v4.5 and 3rdP's associated with it...and move onto MS2020.  Sloped runways?  PBR?   Too late to the party...considering what MS2020 is going to offer,  when RTM'ed....   Just my take...amongst hundreds.  P3D-Franchise wise,...it's my time to move on....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

p3d is a platform, and 3rd party content has always been what makes it look better, P3d 4 out of the box is no different (bland) until you have applied all your addons. Sure FS2020 looks great but its a long way off yet, and nobody knows if the open architecture of the legacy sims will be preserved *

For me the implementation of truesky and DX12 is a feature request come true, so many thanks to LM 

If nvidia water works implementation is full on, then this will be great

Edited by kand
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I hope that we don't need months to get addons compatible.

would be great if we can use v4 installers without issues.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

1 minute ago, kand said:

p3d is a platform, and 3rd party content has always been what makes it look better, P3d 4 out of the box is no different (bland) until you have applied all your addons. Sure FS2020 looks great but its a long way off yet, and nobody knows if the open architecture of the legacy sims will be preserved *

Yeah, this is true about 3rd party addons, I guess there may be some potential here, but is MSFS really a long way off still? There have been no official release dates, we're still only in the Alpha stage (and the pandemic doesn't help with timelines) but it seems very advanced already. This just seems so drab....I think that the shift to Bing data for cities immediately is such a noticeable difference, I guess having gotten used to some of the MSFS vids, this seems underwhelming. I looked at the improvements list and yes DX12 will be a big thing, volumetric clouds will be too (though they don't honestly look great in the short video I saw, I had to look closely to see anything volumetric and that visually improved).

But yes, it feels like they are miles behind in the advances still, if we are to think of it as a competitor to MSFS.

• Upvote 2

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

very little mention of Vr was hoping for big improvements there

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

Well 

3 minutes ago, Purr said:

Yeah, this is true about 3rd party addons, I guess there may be some potential here, but is MSFS really a long way off still? There have been no official release dates, we're still only in the Alpha stage (and the pandemic doesn't help with timelines) but it seems very advanced already. This just seems so drab....I think that the shift to Bing data for cities immediately is such a noticeable difference, I guess having gotten used to some of the MSFS vids, this seems underwhelming. I looked at the improvements list and yes DX12 will be a big thing, volumetric clouds will be too (though they don't honestly look great in the short video I saw, I had to look closely to see anything volumetric and that visually improved).

But yes, it feels like they are miles behind in the advances still, if we are to think of it as a competitor to MSFS.

No doubt we will all end up purchasing both !

Edited by kand
  • Like 2

What was everyone expecting?  P3D has been around for a decade and each iteration has been uninspiring; to that end, V1 thru V4 still requires ORBX, AS, REX and thousands of dollars of add-one to achieve a realistic environment. So, why were any of you expecting V5 to be some revolutionary leap when the prior four iterations were not?  V5 will probably be an aperture for add-on companies to sell their products to us again.  I hope I’m wrong, but we have 10 years of history with this product. Again, I’m not saying there haven’t been significant improvements because there have been; however, they’re far from revolutionary.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

Matt King

Release Notes

General Platform Updates

New Features

• Enhanced performance and graphical capabilities enabled by the new Microsoft DirectX 12 rendering engine.
  • Realistic sky, clouds, and atmosphere with Simul trueSKY integration.
  • Dynamic ocean with NVIDIA WaveWorks 2.0.
  • Added sloped runway support including AI takeoff and landing capabilities.
  • Updated time zones to match real-world boundaries.
  • Added 8.33 kHz spacing support.
  • Users can now switch vehicles while in multiplayer if enabled by the host.
  • Updated multiplayer UI to streamline multiplayer setup and lobby interactions.
  • Multiplayer host and clients can now choose any starting location.
  • Multiplayer lobby is now available in session.
  • The map screen is now available during flight.
  • Added TACAN course selection and tracking support.
  • Compiler and SDK updated to Visual Studio 2019 and .NET 4.8.
  • Updated default mouse and joystick camera controls.
  • Updated default controller layout.
  • Added controllable flashlight to virtual cockpit views.
  • Updated user interface design.
  • Added brown-out and white-out effect support for helicopters.
  • Updated over 24,000 airports with new data across the entire globe.
  • Updated global terrain, elevation, water/shoreline data, and traffic routes.
  • GPS data can now be broadcast to a specific IP address.
  • Ground contact reaction is now done per contact point.
  • Added prompt to warn if GPU memory has run out with option to revert graphics settings.
  • Weather themes can now be customized in the weather UI.
  • Added surface perturbations to 2D water.
  • Added support for the Varjo XR-1 mixed reality (MR) headset.
  • Added SIDS and STARS visualization support for gauges.
  • New and updated default content:
    • Updated Randolph AFB (KRND) developed by Orbx.
    • Added the Lockheed Martin Civilian Utility Aircraft Single Engine (CUASE) aircraft.
    • Added the Lockheed Martin Turboprop Trainer (TTA) aircraft.
    • Added F-35B and F-35C variants with PBR textures developed by IndiaFoxtEcho.
    • Updated F-35A model with PBR textures developed by IndiaFoxtEcho.
    • Updated F-22 model developed by IRIS Simulations.
    • Updated C-130 to support 8.33 kHz spacing.
    • Updated runway surface textures to 4k PBR textures.
    • Updated various airport and land class textures.
    • Updated various road, railroad, stream, shoreline, and wake textures.
    • Fixed mismatched building textures.
    • Added several additional SpeedTree tree types and seasonal variants.
    • Added a sample race scenario showcasing racing scenario capabilities.
    • Added additional road traffic models.
    • Fixed incorrect light mappings in Maule aircraft.
    • Updated Deep Sea Submarine model.
    • Updated several models to reduce flickering issues at large distances.
    • Updated taxiway signs to use PBR textures.
    • Improved jetway models and textures.
    • Fixed several parts in F-16A model that were missing PBR textures.
    • Added a multitude of new landmark buildings spanning the globe.
    • Sloped various airports across the globe.
    • Added multiple wildlife models.
    • Updated ATC tower interior.
    • Updated various effect values.

Fixes and Improvements

• Adjusted autogenerated building height.
  • Improved vehicle list caching speeding up vehicle selection and multiplayer loading.
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for opening settings UI screens.
  • Control bindings can now be searched by key name in the Controls UI.
  • Added on/off/set key events for several light controls that previously only had toggle commands.
  • Fixed issue where GPS ILS markers would be misaligned in some cases.
  • A default scenario name is now generated when opening the Save Scenario screen.
  • Scenery Library items can now be dragged to different locations.
  • Vehicles can now be grouped by category in the Vehicle Select screen.
  • Fixed various issues in the Pilot Records UI including page flips, distorted images, and only displaying .bmp screenshots.
  • Launching SimDirector is now available from the Startup screen.
  • Fixed issue where a corrupted exe.xml file would prevent other add-on .exe files from opening.
  • Fixed UI sizing issues seen on lower resolution displays.
  • Sound is now enabled by default in slew mode. This can be disabled in the Sound Settings UI.
  • Added additional helicopter autopilot tuning capabilities.
  • AI entities now smoothly transition to level flight after finishing playing back a recording.
  • Infogen text now displays when voice comms are active.
  • Fixed environmental forces for turboprops.
  • Changed the default control mode to DirectInput.
  • Updated airport light visibility.
  • Fixed issue where cancelling out of the Failures screen would revert values back to 0.
  • Opening the Failures screen no longer pauses the simulation.
  • The Time Preview and Time and Season screens are now combined.
  • Fixed issue where the Startup Screen would incorrectly prompt to convert structured scenarios in some cases.
  • Fixed visible border lines in the water between the US and Mexico.
  • Fixed height of the Oriental Pearl Tower.
  • Fixed issue causing longer bridges to intersect water in some cases.
  • Fixed issue causing bridge segments to clip into each other in some cases.
  • Fixed cases where hangar buildings were too large in some cases.
  • Updated boat terminals to prevent large boats from docking too close to shorelines.
  • Fixed various issues with weather settings not applying as expected over multiple weather stations.
  • Fixed issue where certain weather units would not convert to the correct types with the hybrid metric/imperial setting enabled.
  • Improved weather interpolation between weather stations.
  • Navigation visuals are now available in SimDirector.
  • Added unit conversion drop-downs to additional data types in SimDirector.
  • Fixed text alignment issues with long object names in SimDirector preview windows.
  • Added NoAutogenSuppression and NoCrash flags to scenery objects created in SimDirector.
  • Fixed SimDirector button state sync issue with Kneeboard, Time Preview, and Navigation Visuals buttons.
  • Fixed issue with elapsed scenario time not resetting properly when switching modes in SimDirector.
  • Fixed issue where the SimDirector Attachments screen would not update correctly in some cases.
  • Updated vehicle UI to group by make and model by default and updated column headers.
  • Improved lens flare logic.
  • Reduced instances of freeway traffic disappearing along road segments.
  • Improved bridge and overpass handling for freeway traffic.
  • Improved HDR effect.
  • Fixed issue causing PBR materials to completely black out in dark conditions.
  • Added additional advanced Varjo headset options.
  • Platform height is now correctly handled when changing locations.
  • Improved altitude transitions between large airports and surrounding terrain.
  • Fixed issue where fog could be applied to panel textures.

Fixes and Improvements (Professional Plus Only)

• Fixed issue preventing weapon damage from applying when played back from a recording in some cases.
  • Additional camera interface updates for CIGI.
  • Added additional configuration options, descriptions, and validation checks to several AI behaviors in SimDirector.
  • Fixed issue with entities assigned to the Combat Air Patrol behavior losing altitude.
  • The elapsed scenario time now displays in SimOperator.
  • Navigation visuals are now available in SimOperator.
  • Added the measure tool to SimOperator.
  • Fixed issue causing incorrect CombatAirPatrol altitude handling.

Prepar3D SDK

New Features

• Airports can now be created with sloping runways.
  • Distance remaining signs can now be generated for runways.
  • Updated SDK samples to Visual Studio 2019 and .NET 4.8.
  • Added enhanced engine extensibility features for SimObjects.
  • Added ability to define always on mapping for key events defined in gauge xml trigger events.
  • Added new intensity value in lumens to PBR light effects.
  • Added airport background flatten options to control altitude transition with surrounding terrain.

Fixes and Improvements

• Fixed bug preventing exclusion rectangles from correctly excluding scenery when using the excludeAllObjects setting.
  • Updated the Autogen Editor UI.
  • Converted several samples to the add-on.xml format.
  • Fixed issue where some tools would write out generated data to the incorrect location.
  • Fixed naming of Axis Steering Set event.
  • Fixed bug where tail numbers were not being set for helicopters created with the SimConnect_AICreateNonATCAircraft function.
  • Fixed Traffic Toolbox dump airport list to correctly parse airspace type.
  • Fixed issue where ImageTool should not load certain DDS textures.
  • Added ISimObjectManager UnRegister callbacks.
  • Added 5551 texture support to PBR materials.
  • Fixed issue that caused certain versions of 3dsMax to freeze during autosaving for several minutes.
  • Fixed Ambient in cloud SimConnect call.
  • Like 2

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Yes it is a shame that the teaser video is so short and ho hum. A bit of a missed opportunity to really show off it's potential. Especially so as MS2020 has really raised the bar.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

Just now, cowpatz said:

Yes it is a shame that the teaser video is so short and ho hum. A bit of a missed opportunity to really show off it's potential. Especially so as MS2020 has really raised the bar.

Have LM ever made any trailer previously? I dont think they have from memory and if not it demonstrates they are aware of the threat !