Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New P3D v5 trailer

From what it seems, minimal work is required to make current products compatible, especially for aircraft. I can see scenery being a bit more of a challenge. I'm sure PMDG will find a way to charge us more money though.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pineapple_Wizard said:

From what it seems, minimal work is required to make current products compatible, especially for aircraft. I can see scenery being a bit more of a challenge. I'm sure PMDG will find a way to charge us more money though.

Haha yes they do...

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

Hello all,

Succinctly,

XPlane 11 with vulkan ... very nice ... free upgrade with add on bugs (incompatibilities) I have already upgraded.

P3Dv5 .... Only the trailer and changelog to go on.... looks very nice... Upgrade cost unknown .... I will upgrade.

Both platforms appear to have a struggle ahead yo compare with what we know about MSFS, which I will buy.

Basically neither XPlane nor P3Dv5 are visually comparable .... Performance comparisons are not yet applicable.

Essentially, most of us will end up with all three platforms (plus others) so quite literally the Status Quo is and will be unchanged.

So much to look forward to. I simply hope that in these troubled times, we are ALL still around to enjoy the platforms we eventually choose and that we can ALL afford to do so given the current and expected economic climate.

Very Fond regards to you all ... please stay safe and well

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, simbol said:

We have been testing V5 and very active on the P3D Beta forums for the last couple of months..

Hope you get the hint..

S.

My big questions: Are there SDK improvements for AI, so we can finally assign runways? Has the object loading been improved so we don't get the AI load stutters? Cheers, Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

The difference is, you have used V4.. 

I have used MSFS.. I still prefer V5. Can't say much due to NDAs with MS. So please wait until you can use MSFS so you can do a proper comparason. Visual is not everything in a simulator, there are many things that makes your flying experience "real" and simulation experience enjoyably.

S.

So, I think some of us would like to know if you normally use the P3Dv4/5 ATC, and do you think V5 has adequate ATC for serious VFR or IFR training/flying?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simbol said:

I am charging ZERO for upgrading my add-on's.. Same will be for //42 (we work together under a developing partner program), that is Chaeplane, PrecipitFX, all their immersion managers, etc.

I know many other developers will also not charge.. LM has been working very closely with all of us, ORBX was also all over the Beta team.. 

Please wait until each firm express their pricing policies before making this asumption.

S.

I'd rather know if any add-on could work out-of-box?

like simple one as scenery or some basic airplane, as they do acroos 32bit platform of FSX,and P3Dv1~v3

In spite of all the comments concerning it not looking as shiny as the new MSFS, you have to bear in mind that 'thrice blessed is he who gets his blow in first'. And so for those who want a new flight sim with better performance which stands a decent chance of working with all the fancy add-on aeroplanes they've already spent a vast sum of money on, or at least offering the chance of an upgrade path, then it doesn't need to be better than MSFS 2020, it just needs to exist and be available.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Agreed. Three things will effect take up here I think.

1. Size of performance improvements over v4

2. Cost of upgrading (base simulator and 3rd party content)

3. Availability of content (backwards comparable in its current form or developed for V5 thru early access to the beta)

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Please wait until each firm express their pricing policies before making this asumption.

I didn't assume anything. I merely pointed out that I was not aware of any developer promising any free updates for V5 compatible products and suggested that I expected that based on past performance PMDG would charge full price for new installers. Besides my guts and speculation tend to be pretty good. Here's what I posted last Friday:

Sloped runways and updated airports are something I thought I'd never see in a P3D update.

• Like 2

Perhaps they will release a more encouraging video that showcases more...this seemed like a very poor, rush-job trailer that (I’m hoping) doesn’t do justice to some of the improvements. 
Not sure if I will go for this version, but it depends on many of the factors others have listed (availability, compatibility and costs of upgrades for it to exceed v4). Would be interesting to see Rex environment force and active sky with this for some bumped up shader dynamics and intensity.

i suppose skyforce (maybe activesky too on the cloud textures aspect, not the weather engine) may no longer work as they were sprite based textures and this is volumetric cloud? Any thoughts on that?

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

did PMDG charge full price to go from V3 to V4?  Or just from FSX to P3D?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Well, P3D's developer still go down the street of graphics, visuals, graphics, visuals and graphics mainly.

An old pig with new lipstick :blink: ?  Well, we'll see after the 15th of April.

I couldn't read anything about changing and improving the still old and ancient flight models and physics, which are still the same since the release of FS9 (2004)/FSX in 2006. 

Whether I fly a helicopter or and old Cup in FSX or P3D, it makes no difference, because their odd flying and landing behaviours are nearly the same.  Complete overhaul of their default helicopter fleet and flying physics ?  -  No chance!

What furhter makes the difference are the third party developers.  E.g. A2A aircrafts or their excellent AccuFeel addon.

Otherwise, Lockheed Martin's training platform for drone warfare doesn't need proper flight models and physics, if the device delivers bombs primarily and controlled remotely.

Hopefully and maybe the performance of v5 will be better at least; compared the current performance hog v4.

Mission/content wise it will stay the same (sorry) boring sim probably.  Anything else than this would be a huge but welcome surprise 🙂 .

All the best.

Edited by KBUR
  • Like 1

In the video, I really don't understand why there is zero lighting on the street and building after sunset.

• Upvote 1

I'll upgrade if they fix the airports, better core utilisation and the weather engine is more realistic and immersive. I don't really care much about scenery as I'm a jet long hauler pretend Pilot.

Edited by VBHB
  • Upvote 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.