Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New P3D v5 trailer

The P3D v5 Teaser trailer shows a hard landing done at LFLJ Courchevel Airport in the French Alps,

ica9AWH.jpg

with what appears to be somewhat of an underwhelming bland scenery backdrop. When compared with the likes of other recent Flight Sim Landings done at LFLJ Courchevel Airport as seen in Microsoft Flight Simulator Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

ZSUtmGY.jpg

Also as seen in Reaction Review with Gripper Sim using Orbx LFLJ Courchevel Airport scenery in X-Plane 11 | Crazy Landings Dangerous Airport

KYD797K.jpg

Along with Gripper Sim challenging flight in X-Plane 11 | What to do until Flight Simulator 2020 comes out! | Just Flight DR400

pPp9z2p.jpg

• Like 5

Just now, radar18alien said:

with what appears to be somewhat of an underwhelming bland scenery backdrop.

It is default P3D scenery which everyone knows is not great.  You still have the FTX Global products from Orbx to use.  Almost everyone uses that anyway.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Interesting reaction... there was a lot of excitement over 2->3, and 3->4, but v5 seems to have a rather lacklustre response.. In reality, they've added a lot of things to the sim that would normally have caused huge excitement here on Avsim had it been announced this time last year.... Is this the MFS effect?

It is all about hope and disappointment: at the moment, all hope is thrown on MSFS. I for my part will be a first day purchaser of v5 but keep my very well running v4 installation as long as necessary. All progress is only stepwise.

Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I think LM should have done it this way:

add DX12 support and call it P3D V 4.6

add real sky/clouds and call it P3D V 4.7

Add real water waves and call it P3D V4.8

all other fixes/improvements are part of above.

every thing mentioned above are just missing basic elements from current version, Laminar added Vulkan support and they just called it XP 11.50 nothing more nothing less, because they know what it worth even if it is a lot of work compared to the upcoming MSFS, and please don't bring up MSFS is just eye candy BS again.

P3D V5 should have been preserved for a ground breaking features.

• Like 3

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

To assess v5 from a truly mediocre trailer is, of course, impossible. The list of features, fixes and improvements helps more. At the end of the day,  only a trial period, if LM maintains it, will tell.  I hope they do.

First thought is that we see the old ESP with some red on the cheeks to look younger. Why not ? I am not against evolution as opposed to revolution. v5 seems overall better than a v4 that I didn’t bother to put on my computer and certainly than v3 I still play with. It is welcome but not earth shattering. What  about the flight modeling, the weather core engine, new air dynamics over relief and improved terrain resolution ? We’ll see.

Excuse me to be a little paradoxical, but to hear dev claiming that they won’t charge for an upgrade worries me,    I read it as nothing has really changed from one version to another.  Anyway I tend to be more and more wary about what they say. Some have put their bets on V5, some on FS20. It has become very clear in the recent weeks. A recent thread on the FS20 Avsim forum is evidence of that.

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Keep in mind that for DX12 and the new weather and water engine alone many parts of the code had to be adjusted or rewritten. Plus some other improvements.

And then also backwards compatibility. Adding new and improved features while maintaining backwards compatibility is something I take my hat of for.

Myself I have always talked about hoping for an improved weather system and here it is. Improved water  that looks like water and acts like water. 
This only is a big step forward to me.

And like many of us I am curious how the AG behaves (loading) and has its influence on performance...

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

43 minutes ago, penta_a said:

3D V5 should have been preserved for a ground breaking features.

It's a pretty significant shift forward.  What exactly would you consider groundbreaking? 

You're getting (1) a new graphics rendering engine (2) a new atmospheric engine (3) a new water engine and (4) sloping runways.  In the context of the history of request lists, that is hugely ground-breaking..

You would ordinarily get ONE of those things.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Without fancy pantsy PR stuff all is crapola.

If the pig had no lipstick on it the spare ribs will also taste like brown ....

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

50 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Is this the MFS effect?

Absolutely!

v5 is getting a kicking for not being MSFS and for an uninspiring / non-pretty trailer.

There are some major and long-standing customer demands included in this new version, all while maintaining backwards compatability. Some people seem to forget that P3D is about evolution not revolution.

With the announcements made by some developers so far, v5 appears it will be a very decent stop gap for me until MSFS arrives.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

10 hours ago, eaim said:

Although generally agree, I think that with what we have been shown so far i'd say that it only looks slightly better than V4.

That was my take, as well....

Just now, Sesquashtoo said:

That was my take, as well....

But remember, that what you are seeing is all default.  Overlay our best shaders and scenery and Active sky magic to it, and you will see something completely different.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, domkle said:

I read it as nothing has really changed from one version to another.  Anyway I tend to be more and more wary about what they say. Some have put their bets on V5, some on FS20. It has become very clear in the recent weeks. A recent thread on the FS20 Avsim forum is evidence of that.

Lots has changed! for lighting effects for example it is required to calculate the amount of lumen for lighting so the light reflect correctly on PBR material while adjusting a different value in an old metrics so the lights reflects correctly on non PBR materials.

The entire effect files format changed too, colors, etc. so I have to re-work all these. I decided I don't want to charge my customers to migrate since my product was released less than a year ago and therefore I wish my customers to feel their investment is worth it and my company is behind them.

Seriously we can't win.. if we charge people complain.. if we don't charge then it is also a negative.. 

What we do? lol

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, GSalden said:

new weather and water engine alone many parts of the code had to be adjusted or rewritten. 

. Improved water  that looks like water and acts like water. 

New weather and water engines ? I see new visuals, not engines. No indication which would lead me to believe that they have done for the weather, the work Asobo seems to be doing.  No indication that water physics has been improved (a weak point of P3D even compared to FSX) . I am interested in that.  I fly floatplanes not a 737 😋.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, domkle said:

New weather and water engines ? I see new visuals, not engines. No indication which would lead me to believe that they have done for the weather, the work Asobo seems to be doing.  No indication that water physics has been improved (a weak point of P3D even compared to FSX) . I am interested in that.  I fly floatplanes not a 737 😋.

Well with this new water, I'd be happy just sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting time and watching my Beaver bob up and down in the water.

2 minutes ago, domkle said:

Quote :

“Realistic sky, clouds, and atmosphere with Simul trueSKY integration”

“Dynamic ocean with NVIDIA WaveWorks 2.0”

To have this you need either improved or new engines..

And I don’t care which ones they are : it looks stunning ! 😎

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0