Sign in to follow this  
YoYo

Prepar3D v5 and VR

21 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Steam WMR VR Default (?) = motion reprojection is OFF always from the beginning as default settings.

You must edit cfg file manually to have ON or AUTO. I advise you to use auto option.

Language mis-understanding I think. I have set Motion Vectors as my own default permanently ON in the Steam software. You where asking for my settings so... Other VR programs profit also from these setting because there are not much who can run at 90 hz/90 fps. so I set it as a default setting in my system. 

Resume, I have NO other settings activated for VR. 

Happy landings...

Edited by simba_nl

2 hours ago, simba_nl said:

Language mis-understanding I think. I have set Motion Vectors as my own default permanently ON in the Steam software.

Ok, so to be clear for me, what do you have in line "motionReprojectionMode:" ...of default.vrsettings in MixedRealityVRDriver Folder?

You have HP Reverb, so you edited this file in Steam WMR.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

Ok, so to be clear for me, what do you have in line "motionReprojectionMode:" ...of default.vrsettings in MixedRealityVRDriver Folder?

You have HP Reverb, so you edited this file in Steam WMR.

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

37 minutes ago, simba_nl said:

"motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

Ok, so you have permanently ON so software cuts to half refresh rate. Something like Stereo. I'll try it. I use AUTO.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Ok, results:

I checked Today few other options and:

- Stereo Mode in Sim, Steam WMR VR "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto" - works ok for me (stable 45 FPS and smooth picture)

- Stereo Mode in Sim, Steam WMR VR "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector" - works ok for me also (stable 45 FPS and smooth picture)

- SinglePass in Sim, Steam WMR VR "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto" - lag is visible with move side by side, 
small stutter, picture isn't smooth like with stereo, the best it is t check it during flight on low lewel and looking around and move side by side

- Stereo Mode in Sim, Steam WMR VR "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector"  - works ok for me (stable 45 FPS and smooth picture)

So only the one option has problem for me - if you use SinglePass and motion reprojection will be set as AUTO on Steam WMR VR (what I personally prefer), if the PC can handle 90 FPS why not to use it? I use it in P3Dv4.5, recived many times 90 or 45 and I didnt notice this strange lag like in v5 with this configuration. Something is blocking the smooth picture here. For me AUTO is better option than forced motion reprjection always on (what is very visble with plane with nose working propeller).

So please (for the others too) chcek SinglePass and "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto", not ON always only. Thx!

Btw. why is better to use AUTO not forced always ON? If your PC can generate more tthan 60 FPS in VR you don't recive ghosting effect. It's important option for combat simulators (and close AI behavior) so why its a reason why I dont want to use always ON option. AUTO is better according me.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Can anyone tell me what FPS they are getting on the Reverb, VR is the only way to go as far as I am concerned and yet I have essentially walked away from P3D because of previous version poor performance, I have a rockstar rig and it was way too slow.

@aidanlegras,

Here is one data point for VR with v5 - it is somewhat faster but still not with a large margin of performance using reprojection=motionvector  at 45fps on the Reverb.

My test case is as follows:              My PC = 9700K@5Ghz (win10 Build1903 18362.778)  + RTX2070 ( 445.87 )

KMRY from ORBX + Northern Cal from ORBX

Spring Day @1400 Fair Weather
Mooney with G1000  @10R

Graphics: FXAA=off, AA=4XMSAA. Ani=8x, TexRes=4096, Frames = Unlimited
          LOD=Ultra,    TessFac=High,Mesh=5m,TexRes=7cm, UseHighResTex,
          Scene Comp=ExtremelyDense, AutoGen=Medium,Veg+Bldg=Normal,DynamicVeg=on
          Water Detail=LOW, no Bath, NO reflections
          SpecEff=Medium
          HDR=OFF, DynRef=off, LandLights=on
          Shadow qual =LOW, Shadow Draw Dist = Low, Casting+Rec = both for Internal and External
          Cloud Draw Dist = 80, Density = Medium, Detail clouds, Vol Fog=on, Det Prec=on, Windshield effects=on
          Traffic - Gen Av=10, Road Veh=10
          VR=single pass

Prepar3D v4.4 FPS = 60     ( with reprojection=disabled for the test )

Prepar3D v5.0 FPS = 75->80   results in fairly smooth performance (minimal stutters )

If a more complex aircraft like Quality Wings 787 is used, then the Scene complexity for KMRY would have to be reduced to Normal or Dense.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Hi Whitav8,

thanks very much for that, I’ll have a look at your settings and give it a go myself. I haven’t seen anything like what you have and yet I have a 2080ti with a 7700k OC to 4.8GHz. 

It sounds like you’re certainly getting pretty reasonable performance which itself is encouraging. I’ve set my rig up with the aim of using FSLabs A320, preferably in VR. Clearly that’s a stretch goal but it looks like that aim might be getting closer. Thanks very much. 

Today I installed the new Windows 10 2004, which should bring benefits regarding VRAM.

For me its the total opposite, its gotten even worse in VR.

Edited by Chandler

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

Does anyone else find the performance VR fluctuates heavily. One day stutter free go back another time same weather same flight and you have to lower setting reduce PD to get stutter free flight . How many times have I got everything working perfect only to try again another day and stuttering again. Restarting occulus rift software sometimes helps. Never been able to pin down why?

This only applies to VR perfect flight everywhere 2D 

Edited by cannow

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

On 6/4/2020 at 5:21 AM, cannow said:

Does anyone else find the performance VR fluctuates heavily. One day stutter free go back another time same weather same flight and you have to lower setting reduce PD to get stutter free flight . How many times have I got everything working perfect only to try again another day and stuttering again. Restarting occulus rift software sometimes helps. Never been able to pin down why?

This only applies to VR perfect flight everywhere 2D 

somedays are a lot better than others for me as well. Seems the newest Nvidia driver and my setup was a formula for ctd as well. Reverted back to 445 something something and no more ctd but the frame rate is a bit all over the place for me atm in vr. Been doing more 2d flying in the meantime. I’m in for the long haul so I’m sure it will get ironed out.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

I am currently having  a lot of success with locked frames 33fps internal, PD 1.6 4 mssa , no ASW very smooth .Stereo or single pass . With 1080 TI and fftf on. no doubt will change with next hotfix. For Rift S.

Edited by cannow

Colin hodds

I’m surprised 33 fps is a good number since the Rift S refresh rate is multiples of 80 Hz i.e. 40, 27, and 20. I run everything you do but unlimited and the Rift S will throttle to either 40 or ~27 depending on the “load” of what’s going on at that point in my flight.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

yes surprised me as well . i used to run ulimited which can run well most of time . I went for 20 30 40 all had some form of judder , then remembered a post by LM that a few fps over can sometimes help so tried 33 . No doubt will be different in HF2 .Unlimited is my favourite but not plays well with fftf..

Colin hodds