Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

P3Dv5 to be released April 14.

https://www.prepar3d.com/home-slider/2020/04/115906/

Wow, didn't see that one coming.  I wonder what it's going to do to MSFS.  I wonder how many will buy it to have something new to fly until MSFS release.

And, as a preview of what will happen in MSFS, I get to wonder how much of what I have for P3Dv4.5 I'll have to give up.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss it, but I watched the trailer and thought it was a woefully underwhelming attempt to do things that MSFS appears to do much better.

I actually laughed out loud at the (is it Lukla?) landing scene. The "weather system" was similarly disappointing. It looks like half-baked features bolted on haphazardly.

Based on what we know right now, it certainly won't affect my plan to buy MSFS on day one.

Edited by Noodle
  • Like 15

At any other time I would be purchasing day one but with MS2020 on the horizon i will be holding off and then decide once MS2020 has been released.  I am very happy with V4 at the moment.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 minute ago, MarkW said:

At any other time I would be purchasing day one but with MS2020 on the horizon i will be holding off and then decide once MS2020 has been released.  I am very happy with V4 at the moment.

Agreed. If not for MSFS, I'd be ecstatic about the sloped runways and weather/clouds. I really loved the TrueSky clouds in FSW.

But the landscape has changed and the bar is much higher now. The article i read said this is just the first step toward a new platform. If true, then perhaps they'll make up some ground as time goes on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Something I learned back in the 70's:  "Any program that exists is better than any program that doesn't."  

So yeah, what we're seeing in the MSFS screen shots and videos is really really impressive.  But we're not flying it yet and won't be for a while.  I think for most of us already flying 4.5 the question is, "Is version 5 enough better than version 4.5 to justify buying it?  Will any of our existing add-ons be compatible?"  And maybe, "Do I want a new sim to fly until MSFS is released?"

Hook

• Like 4
  • Upvote 7

Larry Hookins

Fair point. I don't fly any version of P3D, so the calculus is different for me.

Well, really surprising to me is coming that soon!. Important thing will be to check compatibility issues with the existing add-ons and hardware new requirements. The real truth will be know from next week on. Their website (LM) has an improved look too.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I think it’s going to be interesting, but I still think the visuals in MSFS2020 are going to make it the dominant sim. But I don’t think it’s going to happen day 1.  I just don’t think they can deliver ATC, study level complexity, fully functional g1000s & g3000s, control compatibility And big addons by summers end.  People will get over the visual novelty after a couple weeks and get stuck in a place where they want the complex addons but love the beauty and potential of MSFS2020

11 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

They've been talking about it in the P3D forum for like forever? Where have you been?

Not on the P3D forum.  Not much reason to be until we had something definite.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

I dont envy the developers right now....do you invest time and effort into P3D v5 or wait and focus on MS2020.  I think the aircraft guys should be able to offer an easy (and cheap) upgrade but the sloped runways are going to need lots of work from the scenery guys.

• Like 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I love the home page.... "... all new platform ...." is it?  Or more lipstick on FSX? 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

The sky and clouds sure do look amazing. Also dx12 is bound to bump up the performance. Very surprised its releasing so soon. 

Edit: looks like NDAs are lifted. Also someone mentioned in the p3d thread that they are in both, msfs alpha and v5 beta and that they prefer v5 to msfs based on their experience with both the sims.

Also most of the people here are judging way too early. You are not in msfs alpha and you obviously didn't try v5 yet. Visuals albeit super important aren't everything in a sim.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive