Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

1 hour ago, OriginalGood said:

I can't help but feel a bit bad for them.

Feel bad for who? What are you talking about?

2 hours ago, OriginalGood said:

why? LM have the largest shares in commercial sim software and the military simulators, their contracts alone will earn them more than MSFS2020 does in private sales

Edited by jeansy
  • Like 3

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

Im not buying anything else from LM . I removed SSDs and HDs with  everything on both FSX and P3D . 

• Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I don’t know, that list of improvements and features delivers a lot of what people wanted. Support for STARS and SIDS.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Hi

On the LM site under new features they say                 Realistic sky, clouds, and atmosphere with Simul trueSKY integration.

If you google it you get                                                  

This definitely looks worth it.

Also wave work 2 looks good

https://developer.nvidia.com/waveworks

Edited by krono

I just feel the volumetric cloud in V5 look so soft and unnatural, while the cloud in MSFS look so much nicer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

I don’t know, that list of improvements and features delivers a lot of what people wanted. Support for STARS and SIDS.

This is what the release notes says about STARS and SIDS:

"Added SIDS and STARS visualization support for gauges."

I hope they've improved the taxi physics so you don't feel like you're wheels are rolling through six inches of maple syrup.

Vic green

Oh wow they added the other variants of the IFE's F-35. Didn't expect that.

They also updated airports? That I never expected.

If it wasn't for MSFS, I probably would have gotten this.

Edited by Tuskin38

going to look at the fixes and see if they did anything with the autogen scenery draw distance

• Like 2

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything mentioned there in reference to that issue being addressed.

Wondering if the DirectX 12 rendering engine will affect it, not inclined to think it will affect scenery draw distance.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

3 hours ago, OriginalGood said:

I wouldn't shed too many tears for them, they're not exactly gonna starve if a few of us don't buy a copy of the new version of P3D. Lockheed Martin earned 6.2 Billion Dollars last year, with a revenue of 59.8 Billion Dollars, which is an 11 % increase on their preceding year's revenue. That's even more than PMDG will charge for buying their 737 NG again! 🤣

• Like 8

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Not a single FDE improvement. 😦 They still sell this as a 'training tool' with all the almost 20 year old basic bugs. It's quite obvious that the 'classic' flight sim community isn't the target group.

Well, at least I don't need to think about 'upgrading' to v5 anymore.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bigt said:

Feel bad for who? What are you talking about?

Feel bad for LM, although not seriously.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't paid close attention to P3D development over the past 8ish years so I could easily be wrong, but this announcement appears to be a tailored response to new features found in MSFS.

If that's the case, then it seems rushed, piecemeal, and a little bit desperate. The preview video I saw looked like an aggressively mediocre facelift of a sim i stopped flying almost a decade ago. The dramatic cinematic panning didn't showcase any "wow" scenery. The sloped runway scene depicted a cringeworthy landing that highlighted poor "physics". And the clouds somehow looked worse than the previously respectable TrueSky implementation in FSW, and nowhere near as good as MSFS.

Now maybe this update and these features have been expected for a long time and have nothing to do with MSFS. If so, then half of what I said is invalid...except the half about it not looking nearly as good as MSFS.

I don't mean that as a slight against P3D. In fact, I've been participating in another thread where I'm pushing back against someone i think isn't giving MSFS a fair shake. No hypocrisy intended.

I just don't think the two compare favorably. If you're a P3D fan and you're looking at this in a vacuum because you're not interested in MSFS, then I can see why this might be exciting. 

• Like 4