Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

I think the thing to agree on is that each product will have their target audience.

I started simming with FS2004, then FSX (and Steam Edition) and eventually I went with P3D v4. I don't have any problem with switching back to MSFS now, I just want to use the product that satisfies my needs the best. If in the future, P3D VX proves to be better than MSFS (unlikely IMO), then I'll be happy to switch again.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

26 minutes ago, simtom said:

I think the thing to agree on is that each product will have their target audience.

I started simming with FS2004, then FSX (and Steam Edition) and eventually I went with P3D v4. I don't have any problem with switching back to MSFS now, I just want to use the product that satisfies my needs the best. If in the future, P3D VX proves to be better than MSFS (unlikely IMO), then I'll be happy to switch again.

Sure it will, but there will be a lot of people over the fence. And this will cause some confusion until they decide. 

For me, after knowing about MSFS2020 and seeing those videos and info I cannot think anything else but "too little, too late". Besides the sky/clouds and DX12 support (better performance?), I'm still seeing FSX all around. 

I hope this new P3D version will take some pressure from MSFS2020. So we can have more constructive threads/posts around here.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

They have a full offline mode. So you’ll still be able to play, just without that satellite imagery. 

Of course.  Do you have any idea how big the base install is, and how long it would take to download it as 12 Mbps with a 25 gig per month bandwidth cap?  And $10 per gig over the cap?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Of course.  Do you have any idea how big the base install is, and how long it would take to download it as 12 Mbps with a 25 gig per month bandwidth cap?  And $10 per gig over the cap?

Hook

All that gets very confusing for my old mind. The alpha has a 3 GB launcher and a 80 GB core sim to download. You may add to it a cache. As it is designed right now, teh cache is made for people with a cap.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, jlund said:

"MSFS might not quite live up to the hype and P3Dv5 may exceed it by a large margin"

You're kidding, right?

Not even a little.

I fully expect MSFS to be better than P3Dv5, but it's being oversold.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

Not even a little.

Hook

If the wheels of MS FS will start spinning (again) as it happened with the introduction of that "new gen / mesh engine" in 2000 and evolved toward the ESP of FSX, MSFS will have at least a decade of massive following from the community / addons etc...  

And I think in the first couple of years we could even see exodus from other simulators as well... And I am talking about enthousiasts not professional users... 

For enthousiasts, MSFS is naturally the simulator of choice in terms of graphic technology...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

This!

I don't know if P3D will be better than the video, but Microsoft are known for making their trailers look a bit too good.

I'll probably end up gettin V5 also... I've spend more on bad addons, so spending 60 USD to try a new SIM is a no brainer for me.

Just a couple of years ago we were worried if flight simming was dying and now we have 3 new sims on the way. Fantastic times 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHookins said:

That looks really good.  Somehow I doubt that's stock scenery, but I'd LOVE to be wrong.  Does anyone know for sure?

Hook

I seriously doubt Rob would put up his first P3Dv5 video with it loaded up with third party landclass.  I'm sure he wants us to see what v5 looks like natively. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

"I don't know if P3D will be better than the video, but Microsoft are known for making their trailers look a bit too good."

I really don't think they have oversold it. It has been leaked from alpfa testers, that it looks just as good in the alpfa, so I'm sure we will be pleased with the final product

Just the fact that we don't need a lot of addons to make it look great that's a big plus for me. P3Dv5 will probably be able to use a lot of addons from P3Dv4, and just Orbx landclass will be an improvement over what they have shown in the default.

It will still be a default MSFS vs a "pimped" up P3D to look somewhat similar..

• Like 2

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Just saw the P3D video and from graphics or visual stand point, it could be on par with FSX but no comparison to MSFS! Not impressed.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

MSFS2020 like people want to call it erroneously will probably make it past 2021's first third before being actually usable. There's plenty of room for all simulators and V5 sure looks like a strong update to the existing lineup. The only problem i see is some "money maker" devs which will jump into people's wallets once again. I won't mention them, too easy to figure out.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don´t understand this topic here......isn´t this a MSFS thread? 😉

At least the title is misleading

And guys......P3D is another platform with a big community. So let us be respectful to those who are serving us simmers.....

More platforms to choose...more flexibility more happy simmers

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 hours ago, MarkW said:

At any other time I would be purchasing day one but with MS2020 on the horizon i will be holding off and then decide once MS2020 has been released.  I am very happy with V4 at the moment.

Same here