Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

That looks like a serious improvement in performance. And its great to see an FSDT airport in the mix. Very promising indeed. First day purchase for me! 😁

Of course I'm assuming the setting are equivalent. The FPS look close to doubled

Edited by Quasimodo

32 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Some major devs confirmed their support. Fsdreamteam, Orbx, Aerosoft, Latinvfr, Gaya Simulations, MK studios, FSUIPC.

Of course they do, v5 seems to be just an evolution over v4. Mathijs Kok  wrote today  "it seems [our] aircraft work fine in our test and we are already updating the installers."  Just updating the installers ! First conclusion, v5 doesn't bring anything new in terms of flight/system architecture which would disruptive or rather there is full retro-compatibility which is not a great motivation to innovate.

All the dev  say that upgrade v4>v5 will be free, another sign of what looks like an  incremental evolution. 

42 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I don´t understand this topic here......isn´t this a MSFS thread? 😉

And guys......P3D is another platform with a big community. So let us be respectful to those who are serving us simmers.....

I suspect that most of us on this forum also belong to the P3D "big community" 😁. So it is only natural to also have a first reaction thread. 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, Claviateur said:

More makeup... ESP World Engine / Core Architecture is obsolete in 2020.

So Asobo started from scratch and have thrown all FSX legacy away that's not what they said. 

• Like 3

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, seamaster55 said:

Supposedly, this video put on youtube today is v5:

F22 still looks like its been made in google sketchup, you can see the horizon line through some of the clouds, and the Shorts 330 looks good...new plane?

If this really is P3D v5 then it looks quite similar to MSFS in many ways. Not sure I beleive it as it looks much better than the v5 promo.

Even if it's not, remember many of us have multiple categories of add-ons, which as someone pointed out recently, is $1000s investment.

On top of base P3D, we might have: Orbx Base, Vector, LC, Regions, Cityscapes, other 3rd party scenery (MSE etc), 3rd party add-on airports, GSX, a weather engine, environment, shaders, cloud textures, movement generators (Ezdok.ChasePlane), meshes, and highly advanced 3rd party planes with their own FDEs and custom code to address the shorcomings of P3D base; not to mention VATSIM. FSCrew, FSPassengers etc

Even if this does not add up to MSFS, the addition of DX12, volumetric clouds and real looking water will go a real long way to greatly  improving the exprience for many of us in those areas which are still weakest in v4.5. So provided it's not too much money to upgrade P3D and our addons of course, it could still be well worth it - otherwise it's ultimately diminishing returns.

So it's not as clear as that for many of us yet.

Ray

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, simtom said:

I think the thing to agree on is that each product will have their target audience.

I started simming with FS2004, then FSX (and Steam Edition) and eventually I went with P3D v4. I don't have any problem with switching back to MSFS now, I just want to use the product that satisfies my needs the best. If in the future, P3D VX proves to be better than MSFS (unlikely IMO), then I'll be happy to switch again.

Not  sure what a target audience is, Tom.

I've been simming for along time and never hesitated to switch from a platform to another when I thought that I would get something better.  

P3D is a good sim. V5 in a first approach looks like having the strong qualities that I liked in its  predecessor s but also a definitive lack of imagination.They integrate trueSKY and WavesWorks  then what ? 

On the other hand Asobo seems bent on bringing  something really new. If they deliver ! 

EDIT : sloped runways are nice too but what about sharper mesh than default. 

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

18 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

So Asobo started from scratch and have thrown all FSX legacy away that's not what they said. 

I very much like MSFS and will support it but basically it's been said to use legacy code from FSX/ESP much in the same way as Prepar3d does indeed. Nothing wrong with this IMHO as long as they care to get rid of the issues carried over.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

35 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

The new MSFS world engine is not ESP, it's a modern engine made in Asobo`s studios and adapted for the purpose of a flight simulator. Thus the Architecture of the engine and everything in it is modern and uses latest technology in graphic engines.

From ESP/FSX They took pieces of code related to flight dynamics (to make a legacy mode available as they said). Also, I think they took ATC code most probably and who knows maybe AI traffic code... But these have nothing to do with the world engine itself. They are pieces of code that can be developed on the side and plugged with any world engine. They can be applications on their own if one wants to make them this way...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

Fsdreamteam kord v2

V4 vs v5 performance

(video snipped)

The lighting is still just horrendous. Looks exactly like FSX. The performance may be better, but it's still woefully behind visually. 

This may be a good stop gap for people who have v4 FPS issues though. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wise87 said:

I seriously doubt Rob would put up his first P3Dv5 video with it loaded up with third party landclass.  I'm sure he wants us to see what v5 looks like natively. 

He's using addons. You can tell because he has 3D Orbx lighting in the video while the P3D promo video shows no such lighting at night. 

Robs video certainly looks better than the promo video. That could have come out in 2008 and still been disappointing. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Looking at Robs Video again I see a crappy shimmering around the edge of the internal/external boundary in the VC. I've never seen that in V4😒

13 hours ago, Noodle said:

Well...I hear discussing P3D usage is frowned upon in this establishment, but I think it's an open secret there is rampant abuse of what P3D is supposedly intended to be.

Yeah, and LM knows and doesn't care. If it were a pure training, "absolutely no being entertained by this thing ever or else" product, then the F22 would not be a default aircraft because no one who actually needs to train to fly one would be using P3d to do it. And then there's the submarine...

For instance, are customers who use P3D as a training aid really clamoring for sloped runways? For fluffier clouds? Those things seem to be driven by entertai...errr, academic user request. 😉

I can definitely see them clamoring for sloped runways. If you're trying to learn how to fly into little dirt strips cut into the side of a mountain...

J_jjnKeXRpstliEc2MYzGCDbdUJMKZl8Gd5i3g6d

... then it's a real good idea to have sloped runways, else you're not really learning anything useful.

But as far as all the "LM's gonna be hurting" comments. I doubt it. In addition to the majority of their revenue coming from other products such that whatever they're making on P3d is probably a rounding error, they're also really not in this for home simmers at all. P3d will still be useful for things like flight schools who want to say they're using a professional flight simulator rather than that game you can get on Xbox. (And yes, I know and have argued myself that just because MSFS is called a game does not mean it's not a competent sim, but non-simmers signing up for PPL training don't necessarily know that).

LM wanted the FSX code for its own purposes. They knew most FSX users didn't fit that mission, but they're also a bunch of airplane nerds who took pity on us virtual airplane nerds who are on the more serious side of simming and getting frustrated that we were bouncing up against the limits of what FSX could accomplish.

Yes, P3d still has a lot of the annoyances of FSX, and 5 will probably be no different, but it also got rid of a lot of them which enabled me to fly PMDG planes on actual long haul routes with live weather and a bunch of other addons, without getting an OOM halfway through the STAR. I didn't have a prayer of doing that on FSX and so even though I am not their target customer, I'm grateful they gave us a way to sim on something better than the last "game" sim, and I'm also very pleased that 5 is coming out, because now MS is on notice: Deliver on your promises beyond pretty pictures, because there's another option out there. I've come around to suspecting MS intends to do just that, but it never hurts to have other options available to give them more incentive to stick to that commitment. 

Edited by eslader
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

Do you have any idea how big the base install is, and how long it would take to download it as 12 Mbps with a 25 gig per month bandwidth cap?  And $10 per gig over the cap?

Thats horrible, what company is that? 

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

3 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

Thats horrible, what company is that?

It's Internet by satellite, the only thing available in my area.  This is typical for satellite because there's only so much you can send through the bird at the same time.

It's also about $148 per month.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, rayharris108 said:

If this really is P3D v5 then it looks quite similar to MSFS in many ways. Not sure I beleive it as it looks much better than the v5 promo.

It is v5, but using MSE Utah

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot_zps560238d1.jpg

9 minutes ago, LHookins said:

It's Internet by satellite, the only thing available in my area.  This is typical for satellite because there's only so much you can send through the bird at the same time.

It's also about $148 per month.

You must really love the house/land you live on. 

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.