Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

Just now, ChaoticBeauty said:

I don't know what the reception is in the respective Prepar3D forum, but it would be reasonable  to expect negativity in here   

1 hour ago, anden145 said:

I was (and probably still is) really excited about Prepar3D V5... but with all this developer-bashing, presumptuous claims and negativity in here, I think I'll steer clear of AVSIM for the time being...  

It's sad to witness, to be honest... 😞

Looking forward to FS20 as we do here, does not imply mindless negativity toward v5 or so I hope.  I would leave  this forum the day it becomes a chapel for the true believers. On the other hand, difficult to be over-excited either. Most of us have been running  P3D for years (7 for me).  Continuity is what we were expecting for v5. Continuity is what we have. A good sim getting better.  But to know how much better we have had only glimpses  :

- one mediocre trailer and two outside clips  which are only marginally better  

-  the list of of features and fixes. Among others : sloped runways, trueSKY and Wavesworks, things (or the equivalent) we hoped for. Excellent ! Many things are also missing about terrain, flight architecture, air dynamics, weather engine etc. that we find in FS20. Bad.

- the claim of many dev that most of their airports and aircraft will work almost straight away (new installers required) which is nice for the developers and the users short on money. 

Lets wait the release to know more, hoping that LM will offer a trial period.

FS20 is designed on another more revolutionary but untested (at least by me 😏)  paradigm.

About developers bashing : we have seen that since June last. As you Anders I find it t detestable and it needs to be called out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

But to know how much better we have had only glimpses  :

- one mediocre trailer and two outside clips  which are only marginally better  

-  the list of of features and fixes. Among others : sloped runways, trueSKY and Wavesworks, things (or the equivalent) we hoped for. Excellent ! Many things are also missing about terrain, flight architecture, air dynamics, weather engine etc. that we find in FS20. Bad.

- the claim of many dev that most of their airports and aircraft will work almost straight away (new installers required) which is nice for the developers and the users short on money. 

We have already had several reputable contributors post that performance is substantially improved, and that the new clouds are spectacular..  That addresses two pet peeves that many have voiced in the past..

If all the addons still work, that is not a bad starting point.. :cool:

ps  However, this is not the right forum for this discussion IMHO

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 2

Bert

I know only 1 thing for sure that a new sim and vastly improved sim is coming out next week.

it is all going well !!! and can not wait to fly in those new clouds !

Edited by arsenal82
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, anden145 said:

I was (and probably still is) really excited about Prepar3D V5... but with all this developer-bashing, presumptuous claims and negativity in here, I think I'll steer clear of AVSIM for the time being...  

It's sad to witness, to be honest... 😞

I'm beginning to feel the same way.  It's not the first time.

A lot of people don't understand why I started this thread.  I did it because I was interested in reactions from people who had decided to give up flight simming while awaiting the new MSFS.  Is a new version of P3D enough to bring you back to the virtual sky?  The thread is here rather than in the P3D forum because this is where the MSFS people hang out.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, eslader said:

For the same reason that it seems like no one in the P3d forum cares about the Xplane update.

I mean, you don't go onto a Honda board and ask why no one's talking about the Corvette. 😉

True, I'm losing track a bit of all P3D v5 threads and which one is which. What I was talking about though was that the overall reaction, not in this thread specifically, to v5 is like a lot of people suddenly don't care about DX12, trueSKY, sloped runways and so on when that's exactly what they called for to be implemented. Like it doesn't change anything.

And all the comments from people thinking they should get v5 for free, that LM are ripping people off, v5 is just a service pack, trueSKY looks like FSX, LM have lost the plot, ...

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I'm hoping to learn of an improved VR experience in P3Dv5 before I purchase. As for MSFS2020, I won't purchase until VR is supported. No question the FS visuals are incredible but after using TrackIR and multiple monitors in an attempt to improve the immersion I just don't enjoy sim flying on flat screens anymore. For me personally, nothing comes close to matching the immersion when using a VR headset!

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

8 hours ago, mtr75 said:

I love these posts. Self-importance. Do you think it makes a difference to anyone that "you've already stopped simming"? Nope.

v.4.5 is awesome. I have a decent amount of addon scenery, and SkyForce and EnvironmentForce, and as a fellow real-life pilot, it's fantastic. With my 8700k and 1080, I just flip it on and go. No fussing with it anymore, like when you used to spend 4 hours fiddling with settings for every hour you spent flying. It's fantastic. Anyone who wants to sit around with their thumb up their hindquarters waiting for MSFS to save the flight simming world, be my guest. I'm too busy flying 4.5 to care.  

Good for you. If you enjoy buying nearly the same game over and over for over a decade and can’t understand why some are done with that cycle, go for it. My post in noway attacked anyone else for the decisions they make. Yours on the other hand...

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4

I can't wait till MSFS 2020 is released. I'm starting to get tired of the incremental updates offered by the competition. The things that are really important to me were not addressed.

I just want to load the sim and explore the most beautiful landscapes with dynamic weather and all the eye candy that I've been treated to since the 1st trailer came out.

I have some serious concerns about the soon to be released P3D v5.

How much better will the performance be with dx12?

Will my add-ons airports, airplanes, and utilities work without any extra cost?

Is the new truesky really better at depicting dynamic weather than my ASP4 & Skyforce in P3D v4?

How much better is the new water vs what is available in v4 now with a few water tweaks?

Will this new version look better than my current version with my PTA preset?

After cogitating for the last couple of days my excitement for P3D v5 has dwindled to near zero.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It is still FSX under the hood. Nothing much has changed here. You can even see stutters in the trailer which is funny. This sim is still running Legacy Dll's which are core to the sim and created decades ago.

X Plane 11 Open GL has rendering issues for sure. But it was always way better than P3d.   Version 5 is lipstick on the pig, as usual.

Greazer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, threegreen said:

is like a lot of people suddenly don't care about DX12, trueSKY, sloped runways and so on when that's exactly what they called for to be implemented.

Well, in fairness a lot of people were calling for more comfortable seats in their horse-drawn carriages, and then Ford came out with the Model-T. 😉

When people were calling for P3d to do those improvements, they had no clue that MS was going to get back into the scene, and certainly had no clue that, at least from what we've seen so far, it was going to be stunning. And like I said somewhere else around here, P3d5 could well still be viable. If MSFS surprises most of us and comes out with a bad physics simulation, we're gonna be turning to P3d again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bonchie said:

Good for you. If you enjoy buying nearly the same game over and over for over a decade and can’t understand why some are done with that cycle, go for it. My post in noway attacked anyone else for the decisions they make. Yours on the other hand...

Not quite sure what you mean. I have bought P3D once, and every iteration is better and better. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. What I have right now is the flight sim I dreamt about 20 years ago. Why anyone would punish themselves by quitting so they can sit around for a year telling people they're waiting for something that might be better is beyond me.

To each his own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, domkle said:

About developers bashing

Anyone bashing the LM developers has obviously never directly interacted with them on their forums...the Asobo crew are absolutely doing the right thing with engagement, but they weren't the first.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bonchie said:

If you call it a "game", you're probably going respond as you just did.  Simulation is a different animal that gets better and better incrementally.  It's not supposed to be a "new game".

Stan

32 minutes ago, spilok said:

If you call it a "game", you're probably going respond as you just did.  Simulation is a different animal that gets better and better incrementally.  It's not supposed to be a "new game".

Stan

That's just something people tell themselves to excuse the lack of innovation in the simulation market. Some people buy it, some people are done buying it. You do what's best for you.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

Not quite sure what you mean. I have bought P3D once, and every iteration is better and better. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. What I have right now is the flight sim I dreamt about 20 years ago. Why anyone would punish themselves by quitting so they can sit around for a year telling people they're waiting for something that might be better is beyond me.

To each his own.

Because it's not fun anymore for me, whether we are talking about the simulation itself or the need for thousands in addons just to have a decent experience. It's that simple.

I've given LM and P3D plenty of money at this point. There are zero hard feelings on my part toward them. I'm incredibly grateful for taking the ESP code to 64bit and giving new life to the sim for several years for me. But v5 is simply not good enough for me to spend yet more money. I have no desire to make another purchase that looks 90% like FSX did 15 years ago and 95% like P3Dv3 did.

That's why I'm waiting and hoping MSFS delivers. It appears it will, but if it doesn't, maybe XP11 will down the road.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1