Sign in to follow this  
Bimmerpilot

Help! Build a new PC or upgrade

Back in 2011 I built a PC to be primarily used for FSX acceleration (and flying on VATSIM), and it's still serving me pretty well today as my all around desktop. 

The specs are:

ASUS F1A75-M MB.

AMD A8 3870K Black 3.0 Ghz processor. 

8GB (3.48 usable) of RAM memory (on 2-boards).

A friend gave me a VISIONTEK 77701GHK Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card a few years ago.

I have a WD 2TB HD installed.

Is this system worth upgrading or should I build a new one? 

FSX always ran pretty good on it, though I'm thinking that I might be better served upgrading/replacing to be able able to run P3D in 64-bit?

Thank you for your input/suggestions, if you need any additional system info please ask me.

BP

Edited by Bimmerpilot

I would not upgrade your system also I would not build a new at the moment, new hardware due out over the next couple of months and older hardware prices may fall, and Covid-19 may make retailers discount more to get the cash flow back.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What G-RFRY said.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Time for a new PC, mate. But like the others said, wait. I'd wait until the end of the year when Intel, AMD and Nvidia have all got their new stuff out and we can really see what is what.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

There will always be new hardware on the horizon, just build a new pc now if you want a better simming experience

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

12 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

There will always be new hardware on the horizon, just build a new pc now if you want a better simming experience

This is true but there are still times when it makes no economic sense to upgrade. Now is one of those times. You could build a PC now with end of life, 2 year old tech today or you could wait 2 months and have the latest and consequently get 2 years more out of your purchase. Your £2000 today will require another £2000 2 years earlier than your £2000 grand in 2 months if you see what I mean.

With the new intel releases that are likely on the market at the end of May and Nvidia and AMD launching their new stuff, probably in about 6 months-ish those who can't afford new PC's every year would serve themselves better by waiting to see what is what when they are all on the market and the benchmarks are in.

It really does not make sense to build today unless money is of no consequence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2