Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

P3DV5 backward compatible?

Hi,

short question, will P3DV5 be backwards compatible with P3DV4 Adons, who might not be able to use all the new features of P3DV5? 

I have 150 airports from 20 different vendors, plus 10 airplanes from 5 vendors, that will be a lot of research to find out if they all work and are compatible...

Do you think that you have to reinstall everything or is an update function possible? 

Otherwise I would wait and see, because everything is going well with P3DV4 and I am satisfied, the biggest gap is rather Landclass Asia...

Thanks Erik

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I suspect quite a few developers are going to be coming around with the collection plate again.....

17 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I suspect quite a few developers are going to be coming around with the collection plate again.....

You know they will. I'm curious to see what pmdg has to say about this. They did say they were stopping all development for p3d 

1 minute ago, devgrp said:

You know they will. I'm curious to see what pmdg has to say about this. They did say they were stopping all development for p3d 

They didn't, they just said they stoped development for 32bit platfom and XPlane.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

See the other posts where a number of the larger devs said updates would be free.

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

2 minutes ago, devgrp said:

WHAT PLATFORMS DOES PMDG SUPPORT:

1. Moving forward, PMDG is developing products in both Prepar3D v4 and the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator.
  2. We are no longer advancing our products on x86 (32bit) platforms such as FSX, P3D v3.
  3. We are no longer planning to explore development on XPlane.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Orbx said they'll announce their position after the release of v5

Source : https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/190416-p3dv5-compatibility/?do=findComment&comment=1642810

I thought that was quite an odd statement from ORBX considering they have provided the new default startup airport for V5. IMHO

If developers have had V5 in beta testing for months, then this decision should pretty much be made up unless they want to keep ppl on the hype train.

Edited by Steve_Ellis
Link
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Ellis said:

Orbx said they'll announce their position after the release of v5

Source : https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/190416-p3dv5-compatibility/?do=findComment&comment=1642810

I thought that was quite an odd statement from ORBX considering they have provided the new default startup airport for V5. IMHO

If developers have had V5 in beta testing for months, then this decision should pretty much be made up unless they want to keep ppl on the hype train.

Yeah, if I were a dev and didn't want to look at losing sales over the next 6 days, I would've been ready with a statement as soon as the NDA lifted. I wouldn't buy anything from Orbx until there's some certainty. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Yeah, if I were a dev and didn't want to look at losing sales over the next 6 days, I would've been ready with a statement as soon as the NDA lifted. I wouldn't buy anything from Orbx until there's some certainty. 

ORBX has always been good at providing the customer with updates, so I'm hopeful. We'll know soon!

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 hours ago, enrico10999 said:

short question, will P3DV5 be backwards compatible with P3DV4 Adons, who might not be able to use all the new features of P3DV5?

Have you been working closely with developers with the development of Prepar3D v5 so that they can easily bring their add-ons to the new simulator quickly for the wider community?

Yes, we pride ourselves on an open and thriving ecosystem of third-party developers. Many of our major third-party developers have been part of our extensive v5 beta program to not only begin developing new content but to provide feedback on the new features.  In addition, backwards compatibility is very important to us. With the new rendering engine there are some visual differences, specifically with lighting that may have had some small impacts to third party textures, dynamic lights, and other effects. Our third parties have been using the beta version of v5 to make these adjustments and quickly release their v5 versions near our launch.

https://fselite.net/originals/fselite-exclusive-interview-with-lockheed-martin-all-about-prepar3d-v5/

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Funny I went from FSX:SE with ORBX Scenery installed to P3Dv4 64bit no charge.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

From Maddog x Forum:

"As a bonus, when upgrading the MD-82 base pack to v5, customers that purchased the MD83/MD88 expansion will be able to transfer their MD-83/MD-88 expansion pack license to the new v5 edition for free."

I will buy P3D v5 only because this addon.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |