Sign in to follow this  
kenthom

Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I've upgraded both my laptops, Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without any problems at all, apart from a manual graphics update.

Google free Windows 10 & you will find it.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

What hasn't been mentioned is the upgrade is to the same grade of windows 10 as the existing windows 7

Most win7 installations were probably the 'home' version whereas with win10 there are some advantages in using the 'professional' version.

As far as I know, to go from win 7 home to win 10 professional requires a new install.

John B

Not an issue at all! Windows 10 Home is perfect for most people!

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

23 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

As far as I know, to go from win 7 home to win 10 professional requires a new install.

... and a new license.

If you upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10, you can simply upgrade using the Windows 7 license key - it's still accepted - be advised, though; You need to input it into a Windows 10 setup, which is exactly the same version and language as your Windows 7 license key is supposed to utilize. That means, if you have a German Windows 7 Home, you need a German Windows 10 Home edition for it to be accepted! It won't work with a US version of Windows 10 Home. It does work, though... I have done this a number of times with computers at my workplace.

If you want a 'fresh' Windows 10 installation, you have a couple of options: You can simply reset Windows 10 (it's actually quite good at it) and through this, erase the systemdrive completely and let Windows re-install the OS.

Another way, is (a bit more cumbersome):

1. Upgrade and activate Windows 10.
  2. Then create a 'Genuine Ticket' (using the gatherosstate.exe, located on the Windows 10 DVD disc). 
  3. Copy gatherosstate.exe to your desktop and run is as Administrator. This will create a GenuineTicket.xml on your desktop.
  4. Copy this XML file to a safe place, re-install Windows 10 from scratch (using the same Windows 10 disc)
  5. When Windows installation is complete, and you have created a user etc (and are on your desktop again), copy the GenuineTicket.xml to the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket
  6. Reboot computer. Windows 10 is now activated.
Edited by anden145

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Surely that is overcomplicating things?

this is how I've done many PC's...

Here's how to get Windows 10 for free, if you're currently running a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro: 

1. Go to the Download Windows 10 website

2. Under Create Windows 10 installation media, click Download tool now and Run

3. Choose Upgrade this PC now, assuming this is the only PC you're upgrading. (If you're upgrading a different machine, choose Create installation media for another PC, and save the installation files.)

4. Follow the prompts. 

5. When the upgrade is complete, go to Settings Update & Security > Activation, and you should see a digital license for Windows 10. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I ran the free update to W10 from W7, many months ago. Zero problems and PC runs great. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 hours ago, howevr said:

If installing on bare metal do not enter a key during the install phase. Once the install is complete enter your Win 7 key to receive a digital licence.

I am building a brand new system but I have a new Windows 7 Pro disc that I have never installed nor activated. Are you saying that I can install Windows 10 from a downloaded ISO on a USB stick and then receive a digital license using the Windows 7 key? I have a Z370 motherboard and was going to try and load Windows 7 on it first but I have lost interest in doing that. What I want to avoid is having to create a Windows online account.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

7 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

What hasn't been mentioned is the upgrade is to the same grade of windows 10 as the existing windows 7

Most win7 installations were probably the 'home' version whereas with win10 there are some advantages in using the 'professional' version.

I believe that is correct.. I went from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home.

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I believe that is correct.. I went from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home.

I think that's the right approach. I wasn't suggesting the Professional version was better, unless someone needs the few extra features. As Wobbie pointed out, the Home version is the most appropriate option for most users.

John B

One nice feature about the Professional version is you have more control over when you want to install Win10 updates.

Also, there are a lot of tutorials and help for Win10 at this  Forum .

I've always wanted my laptop to have the latest updates, especially for security. I have never had a single issue with any update, ever, on Windows 10 Home. Maybe I'm one of the hundreds of thousand lucky ones. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

On 4/10/2020 at 12:04 AM, Ted Striker said:

I am building a brand new system but I have a new Windows 7 Pro disc that I have never installed nor activated. Are you saying that I can install Windows 10 from a downloaded ISO on a USB stick and then receive a digital license using the Windows 7 key? I have a Z370 motherboard and was going to try and load Windows 7 on it first but I have lost interest in doing that. What I want to avoid is having to create a Windows online account.

Yes. And you have nothing to lose as you can run Win10 without a key for a short time before you activate it, just in case. I would recommend you use the Win7 key. In my experience the fact the Win7 key has never been used made no difference to a successful activation.

Cheers,

howevr

For the home user Win 10 Pro is not required. The advantages in Pro are only evident in a business environment. Able to join Active Directory. Use Bitlocker. Can act as a RDP Host. Can use 512GB Ram (Home limited to 128GB).

Cheers,

howevr

13 hours ago, howevr said:

In my experience the fact the Win7 key has never been used made no difference to a successful activation.

Thanks howevr, I'll give that a try after I finish the assembly.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4