Sign in to follow this  
Sonne

Valve Index P3D v4.5 Performance Issues

Hello.

Today my Index arrived.

Comming from the Rift S, I'm impressed of the clarity of the Display ( using Steam VR Supersampling 1.8x ).

But I'm having troubles with the performance.

Whilst overall Performance in the PMDG 747 is fine, I'm still having trouble with minor stutters when moving the head in the VC.

Surprisingly, disabling "motion smoothing" improves smoothness a little, while I still get motion sick when moving my head due to the micro-stutters when moving/paning around.

Index is set to 80Hz

Intel i7 4770k

Geforce 980Ti 6GB

All P3D v4.5 settings left as used with Rift S ( which was smoother ).

How can I get rid of these stutters / display lags whilst moving the head?

In case of a required Hardware-Upgrade: would I have to upgrade my graphics card, or the CPU in this specific case?

Is a 2080 sufficient, or does the Index in conjunction with P3D require a 2080Ti?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Toto

Edited by Sonne

Supersampling with factor 1.8 is the killing factor. It causes a very high burden to the GPU. Try to reduce to some value between 1.2 and 1.5. How is the performance without any supersampling?

Felix

For VR, we generally have to reduce the graphic settings that really slow down the frame rate. Here are my settings - I have a 9700K@5Ghz along with an RTX2070 and a HP Reverb (No Super Sampling needed ). These are the minimal starting point - then add back things you "have" to have

DISPLAY - FXAA=on, AA-4XMSAA,Texture Res = 1024x1024, Vsync=OFF,Triple Buffering = OFF,Target Frame Rate = Unlimited, MipMapVC Panels

WORLD - LOD Radius=High, Tess Factor= HIgh, Mesh =19m, Texture Res = 15cm, Scene=Dense, Autogen=Med,Veg&Bldg=Normal,Water=LOW,NO Reflect

LIGHTING - No HDR, Landing-Lights=ON, Shadow Qual = Low, Shadow Draw Dist=Low. ONLY Internal and External Vehicle=both Cast and Receive

WEATHER - Cloud Draw Dist = 80mi, Cloud Cov Density=Medium, Detailed Clouds, Vol Fog=on

NO TRAFFIC

With these settings and low to medium scene complexity, you should see 90 FPS on a single HD monitor nonVR. Under Prepar3D -> Virtual Reality->VR Settings, make sure you use HMD DisplayMode = Single Pass. Then by usings FRAPS to measure FPS, you should see about 60fps with any kind of reprojection disabled so that when you do enable it, you can have a steady 45FPS. This will let you look out of the side window and have a reasonably smooth experience.

To enable reprojection: edit this file with notepad++:

XX:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

Edited by whitav8

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Many Thanks for your advise!

Is there a tool available, that continiously monitors and records CPU & GPU load of my system during a Flight to evaluate wether the CPU or GPU is the bottleneck?

To be honest, I‘d like to stick to the Steam VR Supersampling of 1.8 due the overwhelming clarity of the display...

Best,

Toto

Most of us use fpsVR - it provides a continuous graph of CPU and GPU performance in somewhat out of the way positions (toward the bottom edge for example ).

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2