Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Prepping for the new simulators!

I have a Jetline system (less than 2 years old) and it has a 1TB Samsung solid state drive and a regular hard drive.  However, I want to be ready for the new simulators coming.  I currently run P3d v4.5, and I am looking forward to the new version 5.  I expect to replace version 4.5 with version 5 on my current SSD.

However, I don't want to just have a regular HD left for the upcoming MSFS 2020, so today I order a Samsung NVME 970 to plug into my Jetline.  Ken (Technical GURU) at Jetline recommended this SSD as simple to plug into motherboard and it will give me the 1 TB of space ready for MSFS whenever that comes.  Very reasonably priced on Amazon.

Simply, I don't want to have to choose.  I want both the Lockheed Martin sim and the Microsoft sim on my computer.  I want them to both be optimized by being on SS drives, and this seems like the prudent thing to do to prep myself for the exciting future of flight simulation.

Just thought I'd share that with all of you.

Stan

• Like 1

My P3Dv4 is installed on my system NVMe drive as c:\P3D\P3Dv4 and all of the addons are on a 2TB SSD d: drive.

When I started beta for P3Dv5 all I did was add one directory: c\P3D\P3Dv5 and installed it to there.  The addons can be use by both in most cases.  The exception being that the Orbx world is tied to Orbx Central so we will wait for that and PMDG uses an old outdated legacy method of installing so we have to wait for that as well. However, as far as the simulator there was nothing to do except make a folder for it.  The P3Dv5 installed folder is 44 GB so you probably have plenty of room on your existing system drive, don't forget you dont' have to move addons that are installed using the recommended add-on.xml method.

I use a separate data drive for addons because those alone are 131 GB plus 343 GB for just Orbx.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

My P3Dv4 is installed on my system NVMe drive as c:\P3D\P3Dv4 and all of the addons are on a 2TB SSD d: drive.

When I started beta for P3Dv5 all I did was add one directory: c\P3D\P3Dv5 and installed it to there.  The addons can be use by both in most cases.  The exception being that the Orbx world is tied to Orbx Central so we will wait for that and PMDG uses an old outdated legacy method of installing so we have to wait for that as well. However, as far as the simulator there was nothing to do except make a folder for it.  The P3Dv5 installed folder is 44 GB so you probably have plenty of room on your existing system drive, don't forget you dont' have to move addons that are installed using the recommended add-on.xml method.

I use a separate data drive for addons because those alone are 131 GB plus 343 GB for just Orbx.

Very interesting!

Stan

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Can I simply put scenery.cfg from v4 to v5 (at least those add-on's part) and see it works?

I'm with you Stan. Storage is cheap. Run 'em all!

I put P3D on it's own 1Tb SSD drive (Sandisk) and installed everything for v4 under the E:\P3D folder. P3D is installed in E:\P3D\P3dv4\, and all of my addons are installed using E:\P3D\ as the root folder (Activesky - E:\P3D\AS_P3Dv4\, AIG -  E:\P3D\AIG_AIManager\, etc..). In hindsight, I should have used E:\P3D\P3D4\ as the root folder. I guess P3Dv5 (and all of it's related software) will have to live under E:\P3D\P3dv5\.

My 1Tb drive still has 609Gb free out of 931Gb formatted space. and the installers for all related software and updates are included. v5 will fit on it no problem. I think MSFS will get it's own drive, too. 

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

16 hours ago, downscc said:

I was going to just uninstall V4 and go with V5.  I believe most of my addons (at least scenery) is with the addon.xml method.  Will they automatically add to the new sim?  I imagine there will be new installers coming out so I'll probably have to re download anyway but it's a nice though to not spend all of that time downloading.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

11 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I was going to just uninstall V4 and go with V5.  I believe most of my addons (at least scenery) is with the addon.xml method.  Will they automatically add to the new sim?  I imagine there will be new installers coming out so I'll probably have to re download anyway but it's a nice though to not spend all of that time downloading.

Yes.  I'm going to do the same.  I will replace V4 with V5 on my only SSD.  I'm buying the new SSD for MSFS 2020 which we will get later in the year.  My regular hard drive will be for various download saves and other menial things.  SSD's are designed for speed and that's where our sims belong.

Stan

Will a M2 ssd be of any benefit for the p3d4/5 or msfs 2020 installation as it has much faster loading and writing times than a normal ssd ?

Carsten U

4 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

Will a M2 ssd be of any benefit for the p3d4/5 or msfs 2020 installation as it has much faster loading and writing times than a normal ssd ?

That's my presumption!  I will use the M2 SSD for the new MSFS 2020 probably.  The new P3d will replace my P3dv4 on my current Samsung SSD,

Stan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

No. You won't see any difference in loading times. There is also a pretty good video on yt regarding this. 

Found it again. 

https://youtu.be/2AYextvB9l4

Edited by swiesma
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, swiesma said:

No. You won't see any difference in loading times. There is also a pretty good video on yt regarding this. 

Found it again. 

https://youtu.be/2AYextvB9l4

That is an eye-opening video. The question I have is the benchmarks for an M2 SSD are much faster than a SATA SSD, why isn't that reflected in the loading times?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

17 minutes ago, pgde said:

That is an eye-opening video. The question I have is the benchmarks for an M2 SSD are much faster than a SATA SSD, why isn't that reflected in the loading times?

Probably the type of read/writes a benchmark is doing, are not the same type of read/writes that the sim loading has going on.  The sim loading is more than just disk i/o -- it is dependent on your cpu and ram speed, at least in v4 it is...we all know the 6% point in our v4 load bar...that's not disk I/O that's going on at that time...

I just bought a 1TB SSD, because I'm out of space.   So I'll have my existing two M.2 drives (250GB and 500 GB respectively), plus my external 3TB hard drive for backup and archive, plus this new 1TB SSD, which will store scenery and my P3Dv5 install.   Gotta remember I built my current rig in December 2017, so, SSD prices are better now.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB