Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

Xplane 11.5B3

11 hours ago, Stratocaster said:

11.5b3 does seem to have lost most of the odd tint however,

Which strikes me as odd, since Laminar Research stated repeated that 11.50 will look EXACTLY like 11.41 🙂

7 hours ago, olderndirt said:

other than the obligatory haze

I was wondering where that came from - seems to be always on early morning and sunset.

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

I was wondering where that came from - seems to be always on early morning and sunset.

Haze is always more appearant when the sun is low - it´s rays have to pass though a longer "distance" of haze, so the tiny particles get lit up more, while at the same time attenuating the light so the ground underneath gets less of it.

When the sun is high, it´s rays pass through the layer of haze at a steeper angle, effectively lowering the distance they "spend" in the haze layer.

Jan

26 minutes ago, Janov said:

Haze is always more appearant when the sun is low - it´s rays have to pass though a longer "distance" of haze, so the tiny particles get lit up more, while at the same time attenuating the light so the ground underneath gets less of it.

When the sun is high, it´s rays pass through the layer of haze at a steeper angle, effectively lowering the distance they "spend" in the haze layer.

Jan

I don't mind it because it does look pretty much like my flights IRL.

But it would also be nice to not have it sometimes (and have more of it others), because clear, dry, pollution free mornings and evenings are a thing sometimes round these parts.

AutoATC Developer

I've always thought that the slightly overdone haze effect in XP11 was due to Austin's living and flying (mostly) out of South Carolina, where the weather is humid for much of the year, and there can be Summer smog floating down from the Ohio valley. I used to notice that when I had a vacation place in the Tennessee mountains. Very hazy in Summer. It's very different out here in the coastal Pacific Northwest where I live now. On most sunny days with clear skies, you can see a long distance and it's very sharp and clear. 

In general though, I think a certain amount of haze is realistic. I used to do a lot of real-world aerial photography in light planes and helicopters with the door off. Mostly in South Florida, the Caribbean, Central and South America. XP11 looks fairly realistic to me from that experience. The only time I've seen perfectly clean and clear air when flying at lower altitudes was in some of the desert areas. 

The degree of haze in XP11 can be adjusted with plugins and Lua scripting, and it's also adjusted in most weather add-ons. I hope XP12 includes a slider for the amount of haze in the default user settings. This really should be easily adjustable without needing an add-on.

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

But it would also be nice to not have it sometimes (and have more of it others), because clear, dry, pollution free mornings and evenings are a thing sometimes round these parts.

On the Developer web site, there is a program offered by X-Plane called Data Ref Editor.  Once installed as a plugin, you can adjust many parts of the graphics and one line, when you display the "Art" section, is Fog_Be_Gone.  Here you can adjust the fog which is by default 1.00000.  I keep mine on 0.10000 or 0.20000.  Seems much more realistic to me.  You can also set it for 0.00000 (Think Microsoft here), which eliminates all the fog.  With 11.50 B, I find that the default clouds are much more tolerable when you take the "clouds_shadow" down a lot.  You don't see the flickering shadows which are, in my opinion, distracting.  You can set these to automatically activate on startup with these settings with a FlyWithLua script.

John

Edited by Old_As_Dirt
  • Like 1

John Wingold

7 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

Fog_Be_Gone

makes sense

8 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

You don't see the flickering shadows which are

known bug, fix is to set clouds/far_limit to 0.5, needs reporting if not fixed for B4

AutoATC Developer

12 hours ago, Janov said:

Which strikes me as odd, since Laminar Research stated repeated that 11.50 will look EXACTLY like 11.41 🙂

Since I assume that Laminar had to set up their rendering pipeline and rewrite their shaders for Vulkan, some subtle, undocumented differences  or bugfixes might have found their way into the sim.

I think cloud and horizon shading looks a tad different than it did in 11.41 (never used any of these fancy mods).

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

You can tie the fog to the reported visibility, giving you some variety.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Granted there's haze eveywhere (check the Ohio River valley mid-summer) but why do colors suffer so much.  If the real world really looked like XP, I'd have quit before the first 100 hours. Another thought before it vanishes in the 'haze'.  Consider the current adminstration and the team at Laminar - very similar structurewise - one's blonde??? and the other's a redhead.

Edited by olderndirt

30 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

but why do colors suffer so much

you are very probably using terrain without specular set.

look back at my ground as the sun rises and compare it with yours

22 hours ago, mSparks said:

AutoATC Developer

Just took this one V11.41 - straight 'V' key, reshade me addon (LUT only), surface visibility 100 miles,'fog-be-gone' Lua and default clouds.

City of London

sunrise.png

Edited by olderndirt

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Just took this one

I can definitely see it......

My only criticism would be its missing the multitude of coloured lights that make the City of London look one one gigantic carnival (was admiring that a few months ago when I could still fly there)

But you've looked at it longer than me, so please be more specific.

Only "addon" I'm using is orthophto, and my AutoATC which is responsible for the planes lining up and taking off bottom left of the screen.

AutoATC Developer

I'm right over EGLL for this one so colored lights would have to be closer in.  The scenery is Orbx TE GBsouth (if you have it be sure Xplane London landmarks are above it your 'scenery_pack.ini' file. - don't leave home without it. 

• Like 1

Hello Google, yeah, this is X-Plane...how you boys doin' ?....

Edited by jymp