Sign in to follow this  
rob169

When to buy PMDG in view of P3d V5

Hiya, PMDG currently has a sale with 25% off the 777 and 747 which is until the 14th February (which is when P3Dv5 releases).

I'm keen to buy the 777; I currently have FSX:SE and XP11. However I do not want to fork out for P3DV4 given that V5 is only days away. I've watched some twitch streams of the performance improvement with V5 which is insane; huge scenery draw distance, very high FPS compared to V4.5.

If I buy the PMDG 777 now do you think I would be able to install it on P3DV5 when it comes out? Do you think its a safe bet for me to buy PMDG now during this sale or am I likely to be stuck for months unable to use it?

PMDG havn't offically annonced yet

But giving the fact they didn't charge even from P3Dv3 to v4. I'm optimisticly guess it would go well.

$10 says they'll offer an upgrade to V5 for free, everyone else is....

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

From what I understand pmdg charged a premium for P3D because of the eventual plan to go to 64-bit and the necessary extra development needed for that switch. Now that we’re on a 64-bit platform, the hope is that minimal work is needed to transition over to the new version. If I had to guess there won’t be a fee for this, but don’t quote me on that.

Edited by JasonPC

They are pretty hot on charging users, I wouldn’t like to put my hard earned on betting they won’t charge for an update...

Also be very cautious of any promises about updates of the B777, it’s an old project and they have been promising to update them forever and still yet to materialise with numerous excuses why it hasn’t been able to be fulfilled.

• Like 5

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

PMDG asks their customers to repurchase all airplanes they may have in FSX for P3D, even at a higher price. I would therefore definitely not buy the 777 before P3D 5 is out and PMDG made an official announcement. Even then I would wait: what if a year from now you decide you will use MSFS 2020 and have to purchase the 777 again for that platform? It is just too expensive a product to buy it again every year.

Peter

• Like 2

In any case I don't believe they would charge an amount close to what they charged when upgrading to P3D (which was the full price).

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

They're unlikely to charge for a platform change. They're more likely to charge for significant upgrades to existing models.  (NGX >> NGXu)

Edited by ErichB

NGXu has to be highest price I’ve seen for a service pack for the NGX.

Make of that what you will.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Luke Pype

42 minutes ago, ErichB said:

They're unlikely to charge for a platform change. They're more likely to charge for significant upgrades to existing models.  (NGX >> NGXu)

But Erich, I lay a tenner that they deprecate NGX so forcing you to upgrade to the NGXu if you want to play in v5.

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

26 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

NGXu has to be highest price I’ve seen for a service pack for the NGX.

A very blunt statement, ignoring that the NGXu is a complete new product and not just an upcycled NGX.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

7 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

A very blunt statement, ignoring that the NGXu is a complete new product and not just an upcycled NGX.

I still hold a certain degree of scepticism about that statement I'm afraid.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

To be brutally honest, I think even the most ardent PMDG fan would have to admit that, at least compared to a lot of other developers, they aren't exactly the most philanthropic bunch out there. It's not helped by a rather arrogant attitude which prevails on their support forums.

Their stuff is undeniably good, but they lost me as a customer when they started charging what I thought was prohibitively large amounts for products which I'd already bought from them for other platforms. I was prepared to pay for the conversion work they had to do for sure, but not the full price all over again. And I don't think I'm the only one that is true for either.

Now it's my choice to do that, and they may yet pull me back into the fold, since I wouldn't cut my nose off just to spite my face, but their fund of goodwill as far as I'm concerned, is running low.

Take what you will from that. It is just my opinion at the end of the day.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 8

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

PMDG love people like you. 😂

ps could you possibly sort your overwhelming signature out? It’s 8 lines with a max of 5 and your images does not show, but takes a massive area up, cheers👍

Edited by MaDDogz
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Luke Pype

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

But Erich, I lay a tenner that they deprecate NGX so forcing you to upgrade to the NGXu if you want to play in v5.

Agreed, and I'll also put a tenner Down they will put the ngxu on v5 first, wait 3 months till that generates sales, then the 747, wait 3 months again till that generates sales and then 777.

They did that when v4 came out to juice up the Sales of the 747.

I rushed to v4 and then could only fly 747 flights to Orlando for 3 months 

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png