Sign in to follow this  
rob169

When to buy PMDG in view of P3d V5

55 minutes ago, rob169 said:

I get that everyone's debating PMDG and their customer relations / pricing policy but I would appreciate it if you could kindly offer me some advice in relation to my above question. Many thanks for your help 🙂

As is almost always the case...it depends.

If you anticipate moving to P3Dv5, then there's some risk of paying twice given the current state of radio silence from PMDG on their product line going into v5.  If paying again or paying a v5 upgrade fee right after buying it for v4 would really bother you, it might be worth waiting, even if it means losing that 25% discount.  If, like me, you anticipate continuing to use P3D v4.5 for a good time still while the add-on universe catches up and the cumulative expense of updating everything you might want to bring into v5 becomes more clear, you may well be able to get your money's worth running the discounted add-on in v4 regardless of whether any possible v5 update or repurchase expense later becomes a bridge too far w/r/t upgrading.

From my perspective, P3D v4.5 works really, REALLY well.  Unlike the last two major version changes from v2 -> v3 and v3 -> (64-bit) v4, this one does not have me chomping at the bit to transition while things are still up in the air.  IMHO, v5 isn't ready for me until there are v5-compatible versions of FSUIPC, ADE, PMDG Boeings, FSLabs Scarebusses, Leonardo Maddog X, Majestic DHC-8, F1 and/or RXP Garmin GTNs, Lorby-SI's P3D Addon-Manager, OpusFSI, GSX/GSX2, the AIG One-Click Installer, Orbx FTX Global, Ultimate Terrain X, and a whole bunch of sceneries.  I may well buy v5 and dabble in it, but it won't replace v4.5 as my go-to sim platform until all that stuff works or I've identified acceptable replacements.

Regards

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Wait, wait.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I am going to wait now on the Dc-6. I would rather pay 25% more once then pay almost double in the future.

• Like 1

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

9 minutes ago, akabam said:

I am going to wait now on the Dc-6. I would rather pay 25% more once then pay almost double in the future.

On balance, I think that is probably the wisest choice. In the Interim, there are several other options for a DC-6 to keep you going if you really want one. There's a Just Flight one, currently on sale and although listed as for FSX, it does work in P3D too, there are expansion packs for it too, which give you B variants and cargo B variants. Then there is the Flight Replicas Canadair North Star, which although technically a derivative of the DC-4, did feature some of the DC-6's technological features and was intended to compete with the contemporary DC-6 when it was produced, with the Douglas stipulation that it was to be limited in where it could be sold, because of that.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

On balance, I think that is probably the wisest choice.

I would love to throw more money at PMDG but not knowing if my purchase will work in the new sim makes me hesitate. This time last year I would have bought it and been flying already.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

Well, the PMDG DC-6 is nice and it is not as if you would no longer be able to use a current version just because P3D got upgraded, so if you want a DC-6 more than you want a new sim, then that might inform your decision too. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

Then there is the Flight Replicas Canadair North Star, which although technically a derivative of the DC-4,

There's also the Flight Replicas DC-4, which is quite nice in its own right, with an excellent flight model.

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Well, the PMDG DC-6 is nice and it is not as if you would no longer be able to use a current version just because P3D got upgraded, so if you want a DC-6 more than you want a new sim, then that might inform your decision too. 

That is very true. I don’t currently have 4.5 installed anymore. I was actually getting ready to install it when LM site went down for maintainence then I decided to wait. Time to wait some more but that’s okay, I got way more stuff to keep me busy for a few weeks/ months

Mark Roberts 

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

say $25 would be fine but not a complete repurchase

I agree...but why even 25$ when others developers already stated it only require a updated installer only..

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rob169 said:

I get that everyone's debating PMDG and their customer relations / pricing policy but I would appreciate it if you could kindly offer me some advice in relation to my above question. Many thanks for your help 🙂

I certainly wouldn’t be buying it at the moment.....the technology is old and despite promises that updates would happen they haven’t materialised.  I personally doubt we will ever see them and the “update” talk is just there to lure new adopters to an old product...

Buyer beware.

• Upvote 1

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

3 hours ago, rob169 said:

OK. This is a simple answer. DON'T BUY IT. 

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Although I have been a long time user of the PMDG product line they lost my respect and custom when, some years ago when the US dollar was in free fall, they began charging the same numerical value of their products of US$, in Euros. It didn't last very long since the US currency rallied and they switched back to the greenback. Blatant money grabbing and gouging. People with short memories may not remember this.

Stay safe, folks.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

14 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

The arrogance.

the worst thing they ever done to damage their company face was to have Kyle as customer support.

I would upvote that statement 10,000 times if I could...Kyle is the most obnoxious vendor rep. I've ever seen on a forum. I've had so many run-ins with him I quit going to their forums. I would almost rather give birth to a flaming porcupine than give PMDG more money, but I really like the product.

And what's with the crickets regarding P3Dv5. We all know they've had access to it for some time...I think they're just taking their time formulating a bull%#@% excuse they think is believable enough to charge a ton of money for a new installer.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I would love to have a working 777 on my system, but each and every time my hand hovers over the "buy now" button I remind myself of their "customer service" and my hand just freezes up.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This forum has definitely changed, it seems people dislike P3D and borderline hate PMDG now??

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."