Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Ainscough

P3D V5 Beta - ORBX SoCal and NorCal and water/waves

Posted (edited)

See video description (recording in 4K but YouTube is a little slow at getting the 4K stream ready, give it a few minutes):

Graphics settings 7:15 min

San Francisco 0:01 min to 2:06 min

nVidia WaveWorks 2.0: 2:07 min to 4:54 min

Los Angeles: 4:55 min

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I'm using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, hence the higher than normal VRAM usage

Edited by Rob_Ainscough
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

Both vids look very good.

I can clearly see that the sim is very smooth in very detailed scenery.

The water looks so much more real and the lighting of the atmosphere has truly improved.

Have you tried making custom weather with 3-5 cloudlayers and thick cumulus clouds, just to see how v5 responds to heavy weather ?  The clouds look like soft clouds 

And I am curious about the nightlighting. I know use (name not allowed) nightlighting with customized textures which look very realistic.

regards, Gerard

Edited by charliearon
Removed not allowed product initials

Gerard

7940x ( 14 cores ) : 8 cores @ 4.8 - 6 cores @ 4.0 Ghz - Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7 - 32 Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz Cl 14 - Gigabyte GTX 2080 TI Windforce OC @1920 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 43” Sony 4K tv's in NVSurround

8700K : all 6 cores @ 5.0 GHz - Asus ROG 370 - 16 Gb 4000 MHz @ 3600 Mhz - Gigabyte GTX 2080 Windforce OC @ 1900 Mhz - 1x SSD M2 1800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - 1x 55” Sony 4K tv

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Looks good like the new interface setup.

i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Wow, that  autogen 😮

4790K - GTX1070 - 16GB DDR3 - 2TB SSD - External DAC/Amp - Aircooling - Windows 10 Pro - 1440p Ultrawide - Prepar3D 5.x

Posted (edited)

Hi Rob,
may I be honest?
For me it's not a good sign that you present P3Dv5 with landclass sceneries.

These tape streets and artificial, always repeating textures look so ugly to me. Sorry for saying this so frankly.
(I've tried many Flight Simulators in the past years and each time gave up after a short while, because for me it's boring to see the same ground textures again and again.
Four years ago I gave flightsimming another chance with FSX and photoreal sceneries and since then I'm a flightsim enthusiastic.)

So I hope it's allowed that the small and unimportant Torsten asks the great and influential Rob Ainscough:
how does P3Dv5 looks like with good photorealistic sceneries (like Austria Professional HD, Megascenery Earth V3 & V4, France VFR, ...)?

I hope I took the right words and you don't understand me wrong.

Happy Easter!
Torsten

Edit: sorry, I've seen now your other video with TrueEarth GB.
But I have to admit that it's still hard to compare with the sceneries I have and I know. (I don't have any Orbx TrueEarth sceneries. Too much hard disk space needed and still unrealistic buildings. In my opinion.)

Edited by PhotoReal Earth
  • Like 1

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

47 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

Hi Rob,
may I be honest?
For me it's not a good sign that you present P3Dv5 with landclass sceneries.

Well, the problem is more complex as I see it.

I like and appreciate the effort of showing what it can be achieved, but at the same time I have multiple issues with all these video clips.

I think that approximately 80% of us don't have a good CPU to overclock at 5.2, can't afford a TITAN RTX, don't have the luxury of over 12 GB video memory.

This fluidity and beautiful views and majority of the sliders to the MAX can't be achieved with the minimum PC requirements for the P3D without having a slideshow full of stutters.

All these video clips are with broken clouds and haze conditions (limited visibility conditions) and at low altitudes that prevent of actually seeing how the ground textures are loaded.

So, IMHO this kind of showcase makes me wonder about this version.

Why we don't see some video clips with a PC that has minimum requirements and PC with medium performance, cloudy day with limited visibility, clear day, low and high altitude flights.

Not everyday is hazy and cloudy, let's be honest with each other.

I think that there are still many flags not to jump on this and the natural selection will take place after the software is released.    

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, killthespam said:

IMHO this kind of showcase makes me wonder about this version

Valid point. Just bear that in mind when you are watching those videos of MSFS, and they where made and vetted by the actually developer. And yet nobody doubts that MSFS will be perfect.😆

Edited by Quasimodo
  • Like 1

Hi, Rob. Just wondered if that ATC and voices are from the new V5, or if you are using an add on? It sounds great!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Cooler Master Tower.
MSI B450 TOMAHWK Motherboard.(1TB SAMSUNG960 EVO SSD Directly connected to MB)
MSI RTX 2070 Founders Edition
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8Core 16 Threads
32 GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 Memory.

Posted (edited)

To be fair, Rob does offer several videos of PHOTOREAL including the link above.

Here's ORBX GB South, which is PHOTOREAL: 

There is another where Rob shows UTAH photoreal here: 

They all look very good to me.

While I understand the concern about running at 5.2 GHZ and using a TITAN RTX, it does show what can be achieved with the right hardware. I am considering my next PC build, and these videos help me know the upper hardware limit. For me, I definitely appreciate these videos, showcasing the hardware, setting's, and the sim.

Edited by flyblueskies
  • Upvote 1

PC: 4670K, RAM 24GB, Geforce GTX 1070 (8GB), Windows 10 Home, 64-BIT, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, flyblueskies said:

There is another were Rob shows UTAH photoreal.

Thanks for this information. Where can I find this?
Edit: O.K. thanks for embedding the video  👍

I'm very disappointed with the dark water. These colours black and brown with a little bit of green are not realistic at all.

If you are in the shadow of a big ship and look straightly down into very, very deep water, it _might_ look like this under special conditions.
But if you look over the water so that you can see the horizon, then the water will reflect the light from the sky and never will be so dark.

So this needs to be changed! Hotfix? V5.1?

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simaddict said:

Just wondered if that ATC and voices are from the new V5, or if you are using an add on?

Sorry, that's just tuned into KLAX from www.liveATC.net.

17 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

So this needs to be changed! Hotfix? V5.1?

Probably not since it's relatively easy to change to suit your desired look.

3 hours ago, killthespam said:

can't afford a TITAN RTX, don't have the luxury of over 12 GB video memory

The high VRAM usage you see in my video is due to my "additional" two tweaks which have no FPS impact provided one has enough VRAM headroom:

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000 and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 (these settings are valid in V4 and V5)

V5 will run on 4GB VRAM ... but as I mention before, the key point being regardless of your current hardware (unless it's very very old and not DX12 compliant), you should see about a 90% FPS improvement.

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

Have you tried making custom weather with 3-5 cloudlayers and thick cumulus clouds, just to see how v5 responds to heavy weather ?

This is a custom weather I just quickly put together via the V5 user interface, basic 3 cloud layers and some wind adjustments to get the water and wave going.  I'm sure HiFi or REX or other devs can do more magic with TrueSKY than my basic twiddling.  I've done 5 layers in other tests and really haven't noticed much of an FPS difference.  TrueSKY is fully DX12 accelerated as is nVidia WaveWorks 2.0 ... much is offloaded to the GPU.

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Rob_Ainscough
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Probably not since it's relatively easy to change to suit your desired look.

I've just read in another forum that other people also are complaining that the water is "still much to dark".
This sounded to me as if this were a general P3D problem since years.

So if it is relatively easy to change, it might be a good idea that you show the dissatisfied P3D users how to change.
And it might be a good idea as well that P3D is delivered with these settings in default.

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

On 4/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Awesome 👍 and thank you. 

The new water from Nvidia WaveWorks looks really spectaculary, even the surf is properly depicted - wonder how the performance will be.

Have never seen such a good water in an ESP simulator before; and miles ahead vs X-Plane.

Best regards,

Konrad

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KBUR said:

The new water from Nvidia WaveWorks looks really spectaculary, even the surf is properly depicted -

Yes, spectaculary might be the right word. But not realistic.
It's not realistic at all. In my opinion the black colour is horrible overdone, looks like tar ☹️.
Or oil pollution 😉
Sorry, I can't find better words 🌷

Edit: sorry for saying this so directly. But much too much of the P3D screenshots are coming with horrible overdone effects: clouds, cloud shadows, sunrise/sunset with brown (!) clouds or sky (I've never seen brown clouds or a brown sky in my life, except on smog photos!) and so on.

It's so ennoying to see all these dramatic, "spectaculary" false colours in P3D.

The pictures from Darryl and some pics from MatthiasKNU are the only positive exceptions that come in my mind now. 🍓
(There are others as well, but I don't remember the correct names now 🥂)

• Like 1

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

On 4/12/2020 at 9:43 AM, PhotoReal Earth said:

It's not realistic at all. In my opinion the black colour is horrible overdone, looks like tar

I have to agree. The water looks bizarre, at least in coloration and something to correct surely? The wave animation looks very good, and an improvement on the old 3D animation system.

Otherwise I think it looks like a good step forward overall for P3D. The True Sky clouds look good and the lighting seems to be improved, with the sim looking less flat, like a subtle PTA profile has been applied, but I'm assuming stock shaders?