Sign in to follow this  
curt1

GPU upgrading advice, please

I'm very uneducated on graphics cards, so I'd appreciate your advice, please.  I currently have a GTX 970 (4MB) card, and I run P3D on a Dell 1920x1200 monitor.  I limit frames at 29 within the nVidia Control Panel, and I usually manage 25-29 in most cases.  I'm considering buying a GTX 1660Ti (6MB) that is a more current card, but I'll continue to use my same monitor and would expect to still have frames limited at 29.  Does this make sense, or do you think I'm wasting my money?  Maybe there's other benefits I haven't considered.  

I upgraded from a 970 to a 2700 super.  At first i didn't notice a big difference but then i realized that I could now use SSAA antialiasing.  HUGE difference!!

Steve Giblin

On 4/26/2020 at 2:50 PM, StewCal said:

I upgraded from a 970 to a 2700 super.  At first i didn't notice a big difference but then i realized that I could now use SSAA antialiasing.  HUGE difference!!

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking at the 2060 Super and 2070 Super, so it comes down to money for me.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:07 PM, curt1 said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking at the 2060 Super and 2070 Super, so it comes down to money for me.

What CPU will you be using it with? In most current flight sims, the CPU determines the performance and the GPU (roughly) determines the image quality. Getting a new GPU isn't necessarily going to give you any more FPS. Teaming up a fast, new GPU with an old CPU is really wasting your money in most cases.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

P3D v5 requires more VRAM than my GTX 970 offers.  I ordered a RTX 2060 Super which doubles my memory.  My CPU is i7-6700k.  

Hi Curt,

That RTX 2060 should be plenty if you don't plan on running all the sliders to the right in P3Dv5.

What seems to be transpiring with P3Dv5 is, more load is put on the GPU and specifically the amount of VRAM on board -its better balanced between GPU and CPU now. A few users are seeing GPU memory issues but I think it a ll depends on what texture resolution you have selected (1024, 2048,or 4096) and also the resolution of your monitor (HD, 2K, 4K etc).

With some medium display settings in P3Dv5 and your current monitor, it should be OK.

Regards
Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Mark, thanks for your response.  I've done so much research since my initial post, that I don't feel blind about this subject anymore.  I wanted to move up without going too big and wasting resources I won't use at my resolution.  I think this should suffice for simming, but perhaps not for first shooter games that I don't play anyway.

I'm still running a 6700K with no overclock...

Steve Giblin

The RTX 2060 Super is doing a solid job with no issues for GA flying.  Once I install the heavy iron addons, I'll probably need to tone down my settings a bit to keep my VRAM usage under control.  I'm okay with that and have no regrets buying this card. 

Welcome to the RTX club!

I also came from a GTX970. What a difference.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+