IFR episode expectations

On 4/11/2020 at 3:12 AM, MaVe64 said:
  • SID/STAR integration
  • Vectoring to airport
  • Holding in patterns
  • Change of path due to bad weather
  • able to call an emergency
  • "go around" possibility when landing
  • Windshear or extreme weather warnings when landing (go around or deviate to alternative airport)

+1

Additionally:

- Part of the NOTAMs could be implemented (the same way the system incorporates the weather). It would generate a dynamic infrastructure with VOR, ILS... under maintenance, runways/taxiways closed with construction equipment/workers, loss of RAIM, TFRs

- RVSM, NATS... procedures

- ATC delays

- Clearance delivery via ACARS (liners)

Users should be able to deselect those items if they don't want to bother.

• Upvote 2

On 4/12/2020 at 6:05 AM, GearUp180 said:

Users should be able to deselect those items if they don't want to bother.

Especially this one..😁

I really don't get why there is several pages of ATC wishes whereas this is actually supposed to be an IFR thread, but nevermind. I'd like to *finally* have more realistic navaid/instrumentation behavior. Especially effects of distance to navaids, needle jitter and the like. Even in FFSs this is highly unrealistic, as you can fly an NDB approach just as perfect as any ILS, since the needle will just be dead-on the beacon, with exactly zero inaccuracies (which can be quite pronounced irl). It's just a computed value. At least in all FFSs I have flown so far. Also, if you're extremly far away from VORs, real RMI pointers would sometimes turn around wildly, stuff like that. So I totally hope to see more believable behavior here. Also, since they seem to do coded SIDs/STARs and approaches, I also hope they do support RF legs.

But since there have been so many ATC requests in this thread, I'd also like D-ATIS and the ability to uplink METARs/TAFs, in some way like you could do with ACARS. Also, a great deal of airports now have TTS voice ATIS, and many airports use the same voices too (I think I've heard less than a handful different ones so far). I think it would be really cool to have some of those original voices. If you have the AeroWeather app for iOS, this app actually uses one of those voices when you let it read out the METAR.

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, badderjet said:

I really don't get why there is several pages of ATC wishes whereas this is actually supposed to be an IFR thread, but nevermind.

Exactly, When I go on a local IFR simulator at my flying club (one that is "official" by FAA regs, which I can log at my logbook and counts for IFR currency) there is NO ATC provided.

Realistic knobs, avionics, flight controls  - all that is really provided.

All computer generated ATC are mediocre at best, don't even meet minimum requirements, PilotEdge is the only realistic thing I have experienced with phraseology that I can relate to in my real life flying.

Edited by michal
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 2:41 AM, Dominique_K said:

One thing that I always marvel at is how the foreign pilots can understand the ATC in the JFK/EWR/LGA area. 

Before ACARS, KORD ground control at rush hour was more of a marvel than the internet itself....no commas, no periods, an occasional exclamation point, and a nanosecond to take a breath.😂 

Ah, I know it's way too late but it just crossed my mind, and since here were so many ATC related requests: Now that we have functioning CDUs, I'd greatly appreciate to have CPDLC.

Subtitles! I admit they speak a lot better English then I speak French, but they can be very hard to understand at time. 

3 hours ago, KenG said:

Subtitles! I admit they speak a lot better English then I speak French, but they can be very hard to understand at time. 

All of the Youtube Discovery Series videos have captions already.

1 hour ago, goates said:

All of the Youtube Discovery Series videos have captions already.

Ah Closed Caption button, I didn't even notice it before. 

I keep forgetting stuff. Again, zero actual relevance to IFR but since this is an de-facto ATC thread: it's time to arrive in the present and finally provide 8.33 kHz channel spacing. Can't wait to see if they actually get the right channels in and not just increase the number by .005 with each turn of the knob... 😂

7 hours ago, badderjet said:

I keep forgetting stuff. Again, zero actual relevance to IFR but since this is an de-facto ATC thread: it's time to arrive in the present and finally provide 8.33 kHz channel spacing. Can't wait to see if they actually get the right channels in and not just increase the number by .005 with each turn of the knob... 😂

Zero relevance? Why? Maybe the books say that IFR is pure instrument navigation. But IRL, everyone takes ATC for granted. On the other hand, in the sim world, ATC is very much a part of the IFR flying. Mostly because we haven't been presented with a great ATC solution yet. And therefore we're unable to enjoy a true IFR experience in the sim, unless flying on VATSIM... And even then the coverage is far from 100 %.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Yes, I did not say that ATC has nothing to do with IFR in general, I was more referring to the fact that 8.33 iso 25 kHz channel spacing (on a COM radio...) isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about IFR.

Edited by badderjet

Just now, badderjet said:

Yes, I did not say that ATC has nothing to do with IFR in general, I was referring to the fact that 8.33 iso 25 kHz channel spacing (on a COM radio...) isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about IFR.

I was just reacting to the "zero relevance" thing 🙂 May I ask what is so important about frequency spacing here? I'm no communication expert but I've never had issues dialing frequencies in the simulators.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

On 5/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, Thomasso said:

May I ask what is so important about frequency spacing here? I'm no communication expert but I've never had issues dialing frequencies in the simulators.

Sure you may. It's super important, as it seems until very recently (see below) you were simply not able to tune in a ton of real life frequencies. Now for a realstic experience you would wanna be able to tune em in, wouldn't you.

Interestingly enough, your post made me research the topic a bit, and guess what, P3D v5 release notes point out under New Features: "Added 8.33 kHz spacing support". Voila. Wasn't that released just recently? And 8.33 has been around for, wait... how long? 🙄 Luckily I skipped P3D altogether. Still, I'm eager to see if they get the channels right in MSFS, as the number you tune is obviously not the exact frequency. If you turn that knob you might think it's just a .005 MHz increase, but it's not. You can tune in 131.015, 131.025 and 131.030, but not 131.020 for instance...

On 4/12/2020 at 5:05 AM, GearUp180 said:

- Clearance delivery via ACARS (liners)

In the U.S. it is called Pre-Departure Clearance and ACARS is one method of receiving it. Across the world a number of larger airports are taking advantage of PDC. 

With the Foreflight Application I can participate in receiving PDC in the Saratoga that I sometimes rent.