Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

ASP4 + ASCA+ ENVTEX + ENVSHADE + Environment Force

Hello — I know this has been asked before but I'm asking again for clarity to be sure.

It is my understanding that to use ASP4 for weather, ASCA for weather dynamics, ENVXXX for enhanced textures and sound, and SF3D cloud structures only, all you have to do is run EF on the simulator machine (with automatic texture sync set to OFF ) and ASP4, ASCA, ENVTEX/ENVSHADE/ENVSOUND  — either remotely or locally but WITHOUT running SF3D at all.

Beside setting ASCA Integration to ON in ENVDIR, do you also need to set SF3D Integration to ON as well?  I can't tell the difference.

I've not found anything else even remotely close to flight service or ATIS, AWOS, etc all on the correct frequencies in all locations beside what ASP4 has so it's the preferred weather engine by far.

I've also had problems with the weather provided by SF3D suddenly and abruptly changing from region to region but I do want the cloud structures and effects it provides.

@TallTanBarbie I think this has been discussed extensively many times before here on AVSIM and there is also some sort of tutorial how to set up all Addon's for the combo to work.

I will try to briefly describe it. First you have to understand which Addon covers what part of the sim enhancement because they do overlap in some way.

1. Shaders

EF (EnvForce) and ENVSHADE are both shader programs.

EF is dynamic and changes in time / due to atmospheric conditions etc. ENVSHADE is rather static.

Some (myself included) have some issues with EF (not covering these), ENVSHADE is rock solid.

Since both are shader programs, you should not run both the same time!

2. Weather injection

SF3D has a inbuild (but basic) weather engine. Be sure to turn that OFF when using ASP4.

3. Clouds

ASCA and SF3D include cloud textures but also other textures as the Sky.  Other textures from SF3D will also overlap with ENVTEX (Sun / Moon / Effects....).

You will have to decide which you prefer and turn them On/Off in those Addon's.

So again if you want to use ASCA (ASCA has cloud and Sky) but SF3D clouds, you must disable everything cloud related in ASCA (AND ENVTEX) and everything Sky related in SF3D....I think you got the point by now or????

Now here the downside of this ASP4 SF3D combo: They don't realy coop well together! First of all, your much wanted Dynamics will be partly gone since SF3D will display only ONE selected cloud set (imagine it as if you would choose only one theme in ASCA, not the Dynamic ones).

The only way to get everything out of SF3D is to use it's weather engine meaning you must drop ASP4 and ASCA.

I will stop here since I've already wrote way too much and only scratched the surface....

Use the search function and you will find everything related to your Q.

My advice at this time: Drop REX5 products if you already have ASP4+ACA+ENVTEX/SHADE etc.  

• Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Thanks for the info.

I've come to the same conclusion after hours of web searching and experimenting.

SF3D does basically the same thing as Active Sky + ASCA  and ENVSHADE does what EF does.

According to the TOGA website you can use ENVTEX with ASCA and they have video tutorials that show you what to turn on/off  in ASCA ( just one of the ASCA cloud settings). 

So, what it comes down to is: SF3D + EF with ENVTEX enhancement — or — Active Sky + ASCA + ENVSHADE with ENVTEX enhancement.

The latter combination is the one that provides the weather with automated flight service via voice and visual enhancement and ease of use (ENVDIR).

It's your preference if you want to use SF3D with Active Sky or any other weather engine but  dont try to use ASCA or ENVSHADE — stick with EF.

UPDATE:

After some additional testing, here's what seems to work.

Hopefully, this will end the confusion and make things clear and simple.

**     Environment Force + Sky Force 3D,  with or without ENVTEX as desired                                                     (OK)

ENVTEX sky OFF if used

***    Environment Force + Sky Force 3D + FS Global Real Weather, with or without ENVTEX as desired          (good)

SF3D Weather Engine to OFF, FSGWR in Dynamic mode, ENVTEX sky OFF if used

****   ENVSHADE / ENVTEX + Sky Force 3D + FS Global Real Weather                                                             (better)

SF3D Weather Engine to OFF,  ENVDIR SF3D Integration to ON, ASCA Integration to OFF,

ENVTEX sky ON, FSGWR in Dynamic mode

*****  ENVSHADE / ENVTEX + Active Sky with ASCA                                                                                           (best)

ENVDIR SF3D Integration to OFF, ASCA Integration to ON, ASCA Cloud Textures to OFF

Note:  The ratings are for the overall appearance/effectiveness of the total combination.  ENVSOUND didn't seem to make any difference on or off.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:54 PM, TallTanBarbie said:

UPDATE:

*****  ENVSHADE / ENVTEX + Active Sky with ASCA                                                                                           (best)

ENVDIR SF3D Integration to OFF, ASCA Integration to ON, ASCA Cloud Textures to OFF

Note:  The ratings are for the overall appearance/effectiveness of the total combination.  ENVSOUND didn't seem to make any difference on or off.

UPDATE FOR P3Dv5.2 WITH ENHANCED ATMOSPHERICS (EA) :

*****  ENVSHADE / ENVTEX + Active Sky with ASCA + P3Dv5.2 EA                                                                         (best)

ENVDIR SF3D Integration to OFF

ENVDIR ASCA Integration to ON

ASCA Sky Colors to ON

ASCA Cirrus to ON

ASCA Cloud Structures to ON

ASCA Cloud Textures to OFF

ASCA in Full Dynamics Mode

P3Dv5.2 EA to ON

P3Dv5.2 Volumetric Clouds to OFF

https://mega.nz/file/QFoTjYBR#zA85A_tuyPKgSy-RpR55x-ueZGq1oZS3hU10yiCGq4o

On 10/3/2021 at 1:08 AM, TallTanBarbie said:

UPDATE FOR P3Dv5.2 WITH ENHANCED ATMOSPHERICS (EA) :

*****  ENVSHADE / ENVTEX + Active Sky with ASCA + P3Dv5.2 EA                                                                         (best)

ENVDIR SF3D Integration to OFF

ENVDIR ASCA Integration to ON

ASCA Sky Colors to ON

ASCA Cirrus to ON

ASCA Cloud Structures to ON

ASCA Cloud Textures to OFF

ASCA in Full Dynamics Mode

P3Dv5.2 EA to ON

P3Dv5.2 Volumetric Clouds to OFF

https://mega.nz/file/QFoTjYBR#zA85A_tuyPKgSy-RpR55x-ueZGq1oZS3hU10yiCGq4o

Are you ok to share your settings please like HDR etc

Vernon Howells

14 hours ago, Driver170 said:

Are you ok to share your settings please like HDR etc

Weather Settings

EA: ON

Volumetric Clouds: OFF

Godrays: ON

Amortize Clouds: OFF

Volumetric Fog: ON

Winshield Effects: ON

Turbulence And Thermal Effects: ON

Thermal Visualization: NONE

Weather Change Rate: MEDIUM

Cloud Draw Distance: 90NM

Cloud Coverage Density: MAXIMUM

Lighting

Enable HDR Lighting: ON

Auto Exposure: ON

Brightness: 1.30

Bloom: 0.20

Saturation: 1.10

Dynamic Reflections: Low

Dynamic Lighting: ON

Display Lens Flare: ON

Shadows

Shadow Quality: HIGH

Shadow Draw Distance: HIGH

All Shadow Types to ON

No Shadow Flagged Content:  OFF

Edited by TallTanBarbie

6 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

Weather Settings

EA: ON

Volumetric Clouds: OFF

Godrays: ON

Amortize Clouds: OFF

Volumetric Fog: ON

Winshield Effects: ON

Turbulence And Thermal Effects: ON

Thermal Visualization: NONE

Weather Change Rate: MEDIUM

Cloud Draw Distance: 90NM

Cloud Coverage Density: MAXIMUM

Lighting

Enable HDR Lighting: ON

Auto Exposure: ON

Brightness: 1.30

Bloom: 0.20

Saturation: 1.10

Dynamic Reflections: Low

Dynamic Lighting: ON

Display Lens Flare: ON

Shadows

Shadow Quality: HIGH

Shadow Draw Distance: HIGH

All Shadow Types to ON

No Shadow Flagged Content:  OFF

Thanks for that. Do you also have your monitor HDR enabled in windows?

Vernon Howells

7 hours ago, Driver170 said:

Thanks for that. Do you also have your monitor HDR enabled in windows?

Yes, display HDR is on.

1 hour ago, TallTanBarbie said:

Yes, display HDR is on.

Ah, i tried this but seemed a bit washed out?

Vernon Howells

On 4/13/2020 at 9:09 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

@TallTanBarbie I think this has been discussed extensively many times before here on AVSIM and there is also some sort of tutorial how to set up all Addon's for the combo to work.

I will try to briefly describe it. First you have to understand which Addon covers what part of the sim enhancement because they do overlap in some way.

1. Shaders

EF (EnvForce) and ENVSHADE are both shader programs.

EF is dynamic and changes in time / due to atmospheric conditions etc. ENVSHADE is rather static.

Some (myself included) have some issues with EF (not covering these), ENVSHADE is rock solid.

Since both are shader programs, you should not run both the same time!

Not true. You can either use both together or each for itself alone. I've used them both together for a very long time w/o any problem. Currently I dont, but thats for other reasons.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).